Discuss Armeg Wood Beaver or Irwin Blue Groove?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JamesBrownLive

As the title suggests, which do people consider to be the better bits, and why?
I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone who has used both.

Cheers

Not used either but have used the CK equivalent. It cuts a nice clean hole and it's no slouch when it comes to doing it. BUT, it's a power hungry piece of kit which kills your wrists and drill batteries. Reminds me very much of a standard auger bit but with a bit less force behind it. They're good coupled with an impact driver but anything else will just about yank you off your steps if it bites. Have now gone back to a sharp set of spades as I much prefer them over this style of drill bit.

In my opinion the Armeg cutting edges are harder than the Irwin. If the Armeg hits something hard they tend to chip their cutters, whereas the Irwin cutters get severely blunted. So in summary if your careful to avoid foreign objects in the wood the Armeg cut best and last longest, but if you hit something hard the Armeg is usually scrap (unless able to be reground on a tool grinder) whereas the Irwin can sometimes be rescued with careful dressing with a diamond hone.
My weapon of choice these days is my set of Starret TCT Hole Saws, these go through just about anything fast and with out complaint and much less demanding on drill batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had armegs for years...but they iz screwed now ....by hitting a screw probably. So agree they are scrap if they're damaged.

But when they're good by jove they're GOOD

Not used either but have used the CK equivalent. It cuts a nice clean hole and it's no slouch when it comes to doing it. BUT, it's a power hungry piece of kit which kills your wrists and drill batteries. Reminds me very much of a standard auger bit but with a bit less force behind it. They're good coupled with an impact driver but anything else will just about yank you off your steps if it bites. Have now gone back to a sharp set of spades as I much prefer them over this style of drill bit.

I took what you said to heart and bought some of the DeWalt Extreme Flat Bits instead. Tried them out today in a little Bosch 10.8v impact, and I was very pleased with their performance.
Still can't quite believe the performance you get out of the little Bosch devil, it even seemed to outperform an 18v DeWalt combi that I have. :yes:

I still might get a set of the other type, but maybe once I have invested in an 18v impact. Given the performance of the 10.8v Bosch, I'm tempted to look at one of their 18v impacts...

Only ever used armeg myself.

1. They hammer any battery powered drill
2. By even making it look at a screw it will blunt
3. Not worth the extra moolah IMO.

Better off buying a dozen cheap 25mm spade bits that you can file sharp again than 2 wood beavers that are U.S at the first screw they see.

Must agree with Lenny there.
Had the same flat bits for a few years now due to one of my better investments in my younger days, being a small bench grinder.
I've used auger bits in the past with great speed and success (and cost) but inevitably they will find a nail or screw even on a new build and thats that. At a tenner a pop, no thanks.
Ever been up a set of steps drilling through joists and the auger's trying to pull you through with it? File the thread on the tip down a bit to make it a little less agressive.
Colin.

I have both in my toolbox. The Irwins are better at surviving impacts with 'foreign objects'. However, the Armegs cut like a hot knife through butter and come straight out the other side (you have to lean on the Irwins at exit). I prefer the Armegs overall and they are easier on battery and wrists.

Reply to Armeg Wood Beaver or Irwin Blue Groove?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net