Discuss As fitted drawings help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

craig1000

Hi All,

Just did a small commercial job, Salon, entrance level, basement & 1st floor, 2 further floors 2 & 3 needed just light & emg lighting as not being used!
Anyway am now being asked for pdf as fitted drawings! Anyone know the rules/regs here!
Maybe my fault as I am so knew & having to learn so fast, this wasn't mentioned before the job & I was given no pdf drawings to work with!#
Had some A4 graph paper with a couple of rooms drawn on not to scale but it was a case of me & the customer making it up as we went along!
Emg lighting has gone in adequately as that is pretty straight forward!
Any pointers would be great & any software package's recommended to produce our own as fits would be good! Happy to pay for a package if simple enough to use!
Naivety on my part & maybe I am jumping into things I don't fully understand in which case I hold up my hands, but I need help if poss not slating for it ;-)
Does everyone also produce a design for every circuit they install? Now again maybe I am being naive but for basic circuits we all know what size cable & mcb etc we are to use?
I have a design package to do such things & produce a design sheet for each one etc, just wondering what others do or dont do?

was it stipulated that you would produce drawings? if not, and you have been paid, then quote them for drawings. as far as i am aware, you should have given them a cert. for the work done. drawings etc. are extra.

I get them done for me by a consultancy near me, they have auto cad on their computers and only need a copy of the drawings of the building sending to them, they then print me off a copy and I mark with a pen what I have done and they do the new drawing and input "as fitted" on there too, you need the customer to give you an original though of the building or you cannot do them.

Cheers mate, no it wasnt stated they were required previously but have not yet been paid!
Was just concerned as being asked for them by the architect of the customer for him to pass the job with building control that all of a sudden i had missed something that I should have picked up on!
Have completed EIC for the job, well finishing it tonight on PC
Want o work with the customer but to all of a sudden have this thrown on was a worry & i wasnt sure if it was an obligation of the job!

An as fitted drawing is what it says a drawing of how things are fitted,the ones we used had the location of all equipment shown along with cable routes and a list of what breaker they connected to in the board E.G R1 32A or Y2 16A or whatever the rating was dependant on what the circuit was feeding.on a big job it,s nice to label up sockets and switches with the DB number and the way and size of breaker.

Cheers MDJ, I have not long left the customer & on the spot I didn't think to hit them with that one, I mean I have never had a set of drawings from them & after I left it did pop into my head ;-)
will ask for them & go from there

Hi Phil
Yeah am fully aware of what they are in my time working for large company's, just unsure if it is something I am obliged to do by any rule or regulation as if it is in this case I have overlooked it!
Only a small job, 1 single phase CU 9 circuits on a ten way CU
All sockets , switches & Lights have been labeled identifying the circuits they are on, EIC prepared & DB schedule also!

As in MDJ post
Best to do that craig, on big installs we always got given (to be fitted ) drawings. If fitted correctly these got turned into as fitted drawings.

so, ask them for a drawing so you can enter on it your installation.

Yeah will do now Telectrix, as I say naivety a bit on my part, just wanted to see where I stand with peoples views on here before entering more discussion with them!
I am happy to put on a set of pdfs what I have done, what I am not prepared to do is produce the original PDFs of the layout!

Cheers MDJ, I have not long left the customer & on the spot I didn't think to hit them with that one, I mean I have never had a set of drawings from them & after I left it did pop into my head ;-)
will ask for them & go from there

Thats it Craig thats the way, you cannot give them a drawing unless they give you the basic blueprint of the building on your pc by sending it to you, You may have to allow a couple of hundred quid on your quotes in future to pay for them to be done when you do Jobs which involves Architechs

Wasn't made aware of an architect, was only dealing with the customer, I think the architect is from the company she is renting the shop from!
Either way I have learned a lesson, which is sometime the only way to learn!
fully understand having my own firm & doing my own jobs wont be easy & spend hours researching all the time but am only going to learn sometimes by making mistakes, just hope they don't cost me too much, no one trains us for the business side of things i guess ;-)

Reply to As fitted drawings help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net