Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss attic conversion too 3 small bedrooms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
hi all.. have been asked to price for attic conversion and on my first look around today they say all the cables existing running around the ceiling need to be jigged around to suit new joists.

the cables run mostly on top of a piece of wood where the truss's meet at ceiling level, and they would like me to cut the the cables and bring around the edge of the attic where the storage space will be, but to me it looks like 2 junction boxes for each cable which seems way to much work. i have suggested to cut notches in new joists and sit the cables in these... and that will save a lot of junction box connections..

so if you can take my thoughts in, id be greatfull for some of your knowledge experience in finding a better solution if there is one

regards the main man

well it looks like im going to have to junction box these cables..... heights are not allowing and engineer is fussing about notching the joists to much . i plan to where i can run new cable out to stoarage area of conversion and back into position and junction box the rest.....

even the main fuse is outside on gable and the tails are running down through middle of attic..

any last tips are welcome to help a fellow spark

i admit i do lack expierience speaking to these people, what they say goes.. but i was asked to price the work off a drawing before site visit . i know its work but its 2 people probably 2 days with alll sorts of different sizes of cables and junction boxes

hi all.. have been asked to price for attic conversion and on my first look around today they say all the cables existing running around the ceiling need to be jigged around to suit new joists.

the cables run mostly on top of a piece of wood where the truss's meet at ceiling level, and they would like me to cut the the cables and bring around the edge of the attic where the storage space will be, but to me it looks like 2 junction boxes for each cable which seems way to much work. i have suggested to cut notches in new joists and sit the cables in these... and that will save a lot of junction box connections..

so if you can take my thoughts in, id be greatfull for some of your knowledge experience in finding a better solution if there is one

regards the main man
#The new joists will go the opposite way to the exhisting joists for the new floor so i wouldnt think you will need to touch the exhisting cables

Is there something wrong with crimps and heat shrink (or self amalg tape)?
Nothing wrong with that at all if it is done properly. Feel far more comfortable doing that if it reduced the number of joist notches - which you should only do nowadays if you over plate the cables with those expensive protectors!!

so crimp the cables and put into chock box is a perfectly good choice. ive never used me crimper, sure i could practice tomorrow a little before this job starts

yeah bought one from edmundsons last time was in.. 20 quid they were i think.. would the wholesalers give you rubbish crimps???

what do i ask for 2.5mm crimps 10mm crimps???

You can get them in various sizes, generally red for 1/1.5mm, blue for 2.5mm and yellow for 4-6mm. Over this they are usually non insulated so you will need heatshrink. Make sure you give them the 'yank' test to ensure they are tight.

for the lighting cables, i would replace the affected cables from fitting to fitting etc, with new cables, re-routed through the storage areas. then there will be no joints. for the sake of a few m of 1.0/1.5mm, far less faffing about.

Personally, I'm not a fan of crimps on solid core (yes, I know this debate has been done to death). However, if that's the way you intend to go, then blue crimps will be the size you want for 2.5mm. If you can, go for the ones with the heatshrink as part of the crimp as it makes a nice job.

Tbh, I'd be surprised if the ratchet tool was very good for £20, but I may be wrong...

mine was £15 from leccy center. never had a failure .

poser...you should be using gold crimps with that.

poser...you should be using gold crimps with that.

I didn't actually think anything of it at the time. Whenever we had a new machine delivered the installation and commission guys would be there for about a week and would always leave something behind....
I was actually looking for spare dies for it for different types of crimp when I came across the price. My jaw hit the ground somewhat.
That said, it is a damn fine bit of kit.

Reply to attic conversion too 3 small bedrooms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net