Discuss average price now for 1 kwh in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wiggly

guys,
What is the average on domestic purchase of electricity per kwh (thinking about 16p) after all the recent price increases. Im playing around with spread sheets at moment and would love a gut feel, dont have a recent home bill to hand.

Thanks
for the help

Wiggly

I looked a few weeks ago after the announcements of price increases.

Prices post-increase, that I noted, were:

Scottish Power: 12.4p per kWh
British Gas: 12.6 per kWh
Southern Electric: 12.7p per kWh

Not much difference really. Daily standing charge 20-odd pence being extra on top.

Economy7 "day" rates were typically a penny either side of 15p and about half that in the early hours on the cheap rate.

Rates do vary in different parts of the country. I'm in Cambridgeshire.

FB
if you take the 20p standing charge figure tho add it together total bill then divide it by your consumption you get the real figure and not the sneaky figure.
Which pushes the pence per watt up.
As said looking for a good average so canvassing all you guys cheers
wiggly

Clear & Simple rates

Our Prices

Currently showing, for my area:

British Gas: 12.566p per kWh and 16.99p per day standing charge.

Southern Electric: 12.73p per kWh and 16.45p per day standing charge.

So British Gas charge a little less per kWh but a little more on the standing charge.
Overall, though, there's very little in it between those two.

FB
if you take the 20p standing charge figure tho add it together total bill then divide it by your consumption you get the real figure and not the sneaky figure.
Which pushes the pence per watt up.
As said looking for a good average so canvassing all you guys cheers
wiggly

Yes, but since I cannot disconnect from the grid, I will always have to pay the standing charge and solar panels can never have an impact on that.
My bill savings will only be related to the reduced use of electricity.

Thanks ian-ls
From said website.
1. Electricity:
Based on an average of the 6 major electricity suppliers’ online prepayment, credit and direct debit tariffs, including standing charges and VAT, but not Economy 7. Taken from consumer focus.

This is showing 15.53p interesting figures as it is now that is more than fit

Let's say, for example, that I had been using 3000kWh of electricity per year, at 12.6p per kWh and 17p per day standing charge.

3000kWh x 12.6p = £378 for power used.
365days x 17p = £62 for the standing charge regardless of how much power I use.
Total annual cost: £440
Cost per kWh: 14.66p.

Suppose I manage to cut my power usage by half due to solar panels.
1500kWh x 12.6p = £189 for power used.
365days x 17p = £62 standing charge.
Total annual cost: £251
Cost per kWh: 16.73p

So despite the solar allowing me to reduce my electricty consumption by 50%, my bill has only dropped by 43% due to the fixed standing charge.

What's more, the solar has actually pushed up my cost per kWh from 14.66p to 16.73p.

In summary: solar cannot reduce the standing charge; it can only reduce the amount of power consumed.

It is therefore misleading sales tactics - "mis-selling" to include it in how much someone could save.

In practice, most customers won't notice, the actual amount will differ due to weather-related variation in generation, the SAP is likely to be substantially outperformed (by 10% in most cases) and the overall effect will be relatively minor.

Reply to average price now for 1 kwh in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net