Discuss average wage of a sparks in the current climate in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ken

You know the biggest problem, people can not think for themselves, that's where the word sheeple comes from lol
The thing is mate, we were all a bit complacent back in the golden days of 2006/7. We should of seen what was coming with these toy town courses and domestic installer courses. However, no-one was interested in sounding the alarm, or even that it needed raising. Even the Unions were pre-occupied with the Iraq war and trying to oust Blair. So in a way, we have only ourselves to blame.

Last edited by a moderator:
The company I work for has half a dozen sparks on, we all do domestic, from extensions and re-wires through to site work for persimmons (currently have 5 on the go) and we are all on under 11 quid/hr, use own vehicle, own tools and drills, have 17th Ed, 2377, and waiting on results for 2391, based about 15miles North of Newcastle Upon Tyne, is this the going rate, because it seems LOW!!

Any response welcome.

From what I'm reading here it's the agencies making the money, not the tradesmen. Traditionally tradesmen have not been business men or entrepreneurs; just working your trade was always enough to make a decent living. I think that's changed, you now need to be a business man as well as a qualified electrician.

well, its like this, accountants (who are on the board of directors at most companies now) have a term that they use for trade skills, they call them "intangable Assets" which means that they are something of value that is otherwise not apparent in the same way that, say,having a pile of cash or a load of prime land would be easily recognised.... kind of like when you need a doctor on Holiday, then it turns out that a UK doctor that speaks English is on Holiday as well and he's next door to you....thats an intangable asset, you sat next to him at the bar for a week and just thought he was a salesman or a cleaner or something as he never let on.....
When an Agency sells your services, the more tickets and trade training/experience you have, the more they can charge the company, they will charge the company more and pay you a rubbish rate, did you know that if a jobs advertised at 12.50 an hour and you go for it, the First Aid certificate you gave to the Agency now makes you the designated first aider on site, which by LAW means you are supposed to get 1.50 extra per hour, and that your 2377 or 2391 usually merits an extra 2.00 per hour as an on site tester? the agency will give the company a load of patter about how you want more because you do testing and have First Aid Qualifications, oh and you have your cherry picker and IPAF, thats more too.......and they wont even crack a light in your direction, there you are working away and they are getting paid a supplimentry amount every hour for your "added value" skills, your intangable assets.....why do you think that they want all of your tickets in colour copy? it ups the Agency profits and makes you more "buyable" as a worker, like getting into the supermarket and seeing a buy one get one free sign, only its you on the shelf...next time you are told you need a first aid ticket to get on site, or a banksman certificate, ask the agency where your extra pennies are...

The company I work for has half a dozen sparks on, we all do domestic, from extensions and re-wires through to site work for persimmons (currently have 5 on the go) and we are all on under 11 quid/hr, use own vehicle, own tools and drills, have 17th Ed, 2377, and waiting on results for 2391, based about 15miles North of Newcastle Upon Tyne, is this the going rate, because it seems LOW!!

Any response welcome.

far less than any house keeper i know working for my clients . Its a joke. I could not work like that , i would be ashamed . sorry, but its pathetic.

A typical filipina housekeeper working for a High end family will take home no less than £500 a week. Some live in some out. They eat for free and get perks like enough free food to feed a family of 4 ! I kid you not they do really well. some also get the clothes of the families that cost a fortune . They sell them on etc . we are talking ££££ stuff. None of them work for less than that. They stick together and set the prices. Tomorrow i will go to a house and the romanian housekeeper there is self employed and still earns £420 a week . she also never has to think about buying food. They bought her a nice car and pay petrol and insurance etc

I know this is london etc..... but a qualified person providing his own equipment and running costs etc working for less than £18.00 a hour on the books full time is mad.

Its a sad situation

far less than any house keeper i know working for my clients . Its a joke. I could not work like that , i would be ashamed . sorry, but its pathetic.

Theres nothing else that pays any better up here, not without a HNC/HND.

Thinking about becoming a labourer, they're getting about the same with none of the stress...

Grant

Did you type that all out or copy and paste it from somewhere ? !!! No wonder so many men are going gay !!

I have a few clients that are big Names in the City . These people really know their --- from their elbow. I was doing a Sat morning Job for one and he said "lets get a coffee " so we dived out to some rather pretentious Coffee place. He started to ask me about my finances . Now i like this guy and trust him. SO i knew i was getting the benefit of his knowledge . His advice was "Stuff" the saving idea for kids etc it will never work. I am 48 and my son is 15 months ! He thinks most people have no idea of private pensions and how little they will produce in "real terms" . Unless i save £600 min a month i might as well forget it.
This Next dip we are heading for is REAL. So real it will scare the death out of many of us.

I plan to leave the Uk when i retire as i know by that time the streets will be full of homeless pensioners.

I have never trusted banks nor private pension plans. I expect many of these Pension pots to be Robbed .

AS for buying a house !! No way, the rent i pay is fine and i have 0% risk. Most i know are only paying interest only so same as me RENTING ! difference is their house have dropped in value .

Its a mess.. I really feel for pensioners now. The school kids have little hope as the whole education system is set to just achieve exam results rather than a proper education etc . Everyone is over qualified etc !

And i feel "EUROPE" is about to lay down some serious new rules about trades that will cause havoc .

Bloody hell...... I am sounding sad !

Sad...... but totally true. I heard the same thing said a while ago about pensions - the worst investment you can make. Buying a house - not yours until the last mortgage payment is made, and can be snatched back by them greedy banks at any time before. I rent, and if made redundant, get the rent paid by government. I work in an Independent school, maintenance and part time teaching. It's totally geared towards results. All the parents are interested in is getting their delinquent, spoilt little b'stards into uni with three A's. That's what they pay us stupid amounts to do. T Bliars idea to get 50% degree qualified only serves to water down the qualification, and it becomes almost worthless. Unless teaching becomes more vocational in school and college, this country will have a lot of ideas, but no-one to build them. And the banks debt will never get paid off!

If you are young and have little ties to this country.....RUN! RUN AWAY TO A BETTER LAND.

Thanks to 40 years of bad government, this country is in a bad way, and will need low wages, high tax and hard work to put it's self right again. Best of luck.

Well I'm working for £14.50 an hour and have a van, all the tools, tester, insurance, basically everything, what do you suggest I say b@ll@cks and sit at home?

I told you its a race to bottom on money, it won't affect everybody, so good luck to you and all those who carry on doing well, but I never knock anybody for working for a living.

Any response welcome.

Ive done some sub contracting for South Tyneside council and rate was £13 ph standard for all the sparks, we were re wiring all the council houses in the area. not far of JIB rates i think hope this helps mate.

Well I'm working for £14.50 an hour and have a van, all the tools, tester, insurance, basically everything, what do you suggest I say b@ll@cks and sit at home?

I told you its a race to bottom on money, it won't affect everybody, so good luck to you and all those who carry on doing well, but I never knock anybody for working for a living.

I agree to a point , BUT they are only digging a bigger hole for everyone. Imagine the public reading this and thinking, Ok we shall only pay these rates for private domestic work etc !

Reply to average wage of a sparks in the current climate in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net