Discuss back to basics higher the volts lower the amps? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lightning?

According to BS7671 that is an "Overvoltage of Atmospheric Origin".

Are we getting into semantics? Are you saying that lightning is not an example of a discharge?
There is of course there is a voltage associated with it. :confused:

BS7671 might be the bible of electricians, but i don't think it is held in such high reverie by physicists.:p

Voltage is the water pressure...Amps are the water bubbles...More pressure..more bubbles

Not quite. Using the water analogy, which is one I use to explain electrical terminology to those with no electrical background, voltage would indeed be the pressure pushing water through a pipe, but the diameter of the pipes, or a turbine introduced into the system would equate to resistance, which would affect the rate of flow of water, the rate of flow being the current (Amps).

So now they have lowered the domestic voltage down to 230 in some areas, this equates to more amps used, so my meter turns quicker and my electric bill gets bigger!

No you use less amps.

I=V/R

Resistance will remain constant so for an appliance with a resistance of 18 ohms

240/18 = 13.33A

230/18 = 12.77A

No you use less amps.

I=V/R

Resistance will remain constant so for an appliance with a resistance of 18 ohms

240/18 = 13.33A

230/18 = 12.77A

That's correct,

Now if from that you work out the power you get 3.199 Kw at 240v @ 2.937 Kw @ 230v.

So now they have lowered the domestic voltage down to 230 in some areas, this equates to more amps used, so my meter turns quicker and my electric bill gets bigger!

No it doesn't. Your electric meter doesn't measure amps, it measures kilowatt hours. If you use a one kilowatt heater for one hour, you use one kilowatt hour. Current and voltage are irrelevant to that. Additionally, while the standard is 230V +10%, -6%, (since 1995), you will find that your voltage still sits around 240V.

Last edited by a moderator:
No it doesn't. Your electric meter doesn't measure amps, it measures kilowatt hours. If you use a one kilowatt heater for one hour, you use one kilowatt hour. Current and voltage are irrelevant to that. Additionally, while the standard is 230V +10%, -6%, (since 1995), you will find that your voltage still sits around 240V.

Somebody needs to rewrite the equation P = I x V then . Power (the rate of energy dissipation) is a combination of current and voltage. Energy use, as you correctly say is, a combination of power and time.

How do you work that out? Current and Voltage are used to calculate Watts

Power (Watts) = Current x Voltage

*EDIT* pushrod pipped me at the post :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to back to basics higher the volts lower the amps? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net