Discuss Bang! Large flash / bang at voltmeter tips. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Im going to be realy sarky now .... at the begining of the thread it was asked what was it that caused the bang and Flash ,, Electricity should have been the answer ........ sorry guys couldnt resist that one , looking at the posts its a difficult one this one alot of guys would used a volt stick to check , but ill be honest if this cable is an old unused cable and its grouped with other live cables then the volt stick could operate making it look live when its not ,so the real way too test if its live would be . turn off the supply , connect a junction box that has been tempuarly fixed turn the power back on using a set of voltage test prods test the circuit in question that is after of course you have proved the tester works with a proving unit , long winded way of testing but the safest i can come up with

a meter set on amps or with the probe leads in the wrong meter terminals will blow the leads and cook the meter as well....bet the tips of the probes got blown off...seen it happen before... at least it wasnt your hands that got it just some easily replaced leads/meter...maybe you can buy a Fluke Volt alert pen (1AC or 2AC model) when you replace your tester/leads.....think they are about 20 pounds........I find mine handy

welcome to the Electricians Forum :)

To strip a live cable back is simple but needs extreme care.
Make a breach joint PVC to paper-lead live is fun. The instructor’s comment during my LV training “you need a bloody light bulb on your head!” all the LV training was done “live” I can now joint up to 33KV paper-lead you can f**k off if you think I’m doing that live!
If you have any doubts about a cable a 1” plastic handled chisel with a good wooden handled hammer usually sorts them out. Plus gloves and goggles I can be a rough arsed ******* at times, but I’m still alive!
My favourite is an explosive cable spike! Three of us had arc eye & minor burns after picking the wrong 11KV cable. Our own stupid fault, the spike had a remote fire pin but non of us had a piece of string!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of purchasing a Fluke LVD2 non contact voltage tester - i'm hoping this will solve the issue as it detects from 1-5'' away.

Also, as the cable was on a 20A fused spur, will the cable or spur unit need replacing after such an incident?

If it was a spur I would imagine it would have been either 13amp or a 3amp BS 1361 or whatever this month they are called.

I wouldn't think so as it seems the RCD and the MCB tripped. I bet the fuse didn't though.

I think there is a lesson to be learned here! I personally have had 3 shocks and I'm not even a sparky, the worst of mine was cutting a stage light off of the truss using a Leatherman! I learnt my lesson and now ALWAYS check and isolate before going anywhere near electricity.

Everyone on this forum could do with one of our Safe Isolation Kits If we only save 1 life then it’s worth it, Seriously guys if you look at what’s in this kit it's REALLY good value, we make very little money on all isolation kits because it's the one place we can actually make a difference!

Look after yourselves!

I think there is a lesson to be learned here! I personally have had 3 shocks and I'm not even a sparky, the worst of mine was cutting a stage light off of the truss using a Leatherman! I learnt my lesson and now ALWAYS check and isolate before going anywhere near electricity.

Everyone on this forum could do with one of our Safe Isolation Kits If we only save 1 life then it’s worth it, Seriously guys if you look at what’s in this kit it's REALLY good value, we make very little money on all isolation kits because it's the one place we can actually make a difference!

Look after yourselves!

Have got to laugh at your posting you tell us you cut through a cable using a leatherman and got a leccy shock then the next paragraph you try and sell us a safe isolation kit,
don't you think you should have used one before cutting the cable.

Have got to laugh at your posting you tell us you cut through a cable using a leatherman and got a leccy shock then the next paragraph you try and sell us a safe isolation kit,
think it's known as learning from mistakes. we all done a silly one at one time or another.

I agree, but I didn't plan on cutting the cable! I slipped as I was trying to cut the lamp free that was gaffered onto the truss (Should have being a G clamp) My boss at the time wasn't too impressed as I came hurtling down onto the stage!

Fortunately I got away with a telling off and a few bruises ;)

I agree, but I didn't plan on cutting the cable! I slipped as I was trying to cut the lamp free that was gaffered onto the truss (Should have being a G clamp) My boss at the time wasn't too impressed as I came hurtling down onto the stage!

Fortunately I got away with a telling off and a few bruises ;)

What did your boss say having problems flying Tinkerbell

My boss was pretty worried: I was only 16 but you tend to "bounce" when your that age! I was really lucky that we were packing down the gig, the whole stage plunged into darkness with a huge bang and a crash! It could have being much worse if the stage was full of equipment, the leatherman ended up on the floor and got banned from all future events!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Bang! Large flash / bang at voltmeter tips. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net