Discuss basic and fault protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

They were not, the trade did not exist then!

And I am sure you will find they served their time under other experienced people. Faraday worked as an assistant initially and no doubt so did the others.

Apprenticeships are not cheap labour! Anyone who treats an apprentice as cheap labour should be shot as far as I am concerned. An apprentice is employed to learn a trade under the supervision of an experienced tradesman.

What is an apprenticeship if it is not education?

I can feel your passion man, and Im not being disrespectful, well not intentionally. However, I agree the gentlemen mentioned may well have learnt from others but, and this is the thing, they were mavericks and much of what they did was going against the grain of the science status quo, they were mostly self taught in the science of electricity cos there wasnt a science of electricity,as it were, when they were experimenting.
There are many ways to learn Dave and many ways to become qualified, but they dont all end at the slave labour camp of apprenticeship, just cos thats what you did. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they were, and if the op or anyone else is seeking to further scientific knowledge and understanding then they could follow this path.

I did not do a slave labour apprenticeship, I did an electricians apprenticeship!

What other way is there to become qualified as an electrician. Try looking up the word 'electrician' in Stubbs.

Yes they were, and if the op or anyone else is seeking to further scientific knowledge and understanding then they could follow this path.

I did not do a slave labour apprenticeship, I did an electricians apprenticeship!

What other way is there to become qualified as an electrician. Try looking up the word 'electrician' in Stubbs.

Ok I apologise, as I seem to have upset you. Perhaps slave labour is a bit ott, can I say low wage or below national minimum, which to be frank is a disgrace, but lets leave that there :)

If there is only one way to learn Dave, or only one path for everybody to follow, then Im afraid we as humans must accept the inevitable, that progression is no longer possible and admit to defeat and the inevitable exstinction. However, whether you think apprenticeships and blinkered vision will help pull us through the dark hours leading up to this apocalypse at least we'll be happy in the knowledge we did it your way :)
Dave you have a beautiful mind, we all do, its powerfull and can learn at all levels, why oh why impede it to just apprenticeships?

Last edited by a moderator:
The human race is a lost cause anyway and the best thing for this planet would be its total extinction.

However we are not talking about the whole of the human race here, or I certainly wasn't.
I was talking specifically of the trade of the electrician. The apprenticeship method, be it formal or informal is the only method I know if successfully training for this trade. What other method is there?

Hey Dave maybe eugenics would solve the problem…only kidding… the science of biology teaches us that once a species reaches its maximum carrying capacity well nature takes over.
you say apprenticeships are the only way YOU know of:) so maybe there are orher ways that perhaps you dont know of yet …eg look at the post a few places above :)

Unfortunately modern science and political correctness fights natures efforts to fix the problem, diseases are cured, survival of the fittest is overridden.

So enlighten us as to what these other methods of qualifying as an electrician are?

Oh come on Dave, its hardly enlightening. By the way you may require a little bit of enlightening yourself if your deluded enough to believe that man has concurred natural disasters and disease… keep taking your antibiotics Dave and the biotics keep a moving on:)

Ok I'll enlighten you into something but, I dont think you'll be pleased and you will probably tale offence. I mean this with no disrespect but the majority of electrical work is not rocket science but is paint by numbers… now I know people will attack and defend the trade they love, but its true, MOST DOMESTIC is easy and requires little skill or knowledge… ok Dave you have what you require enlightenment.

We have not beaten natural disasters and disease, but we fight disease quite well. And we certainly fly in the face of evolution and natural selection. Survival of the fittest has been replaced by survival of the retarded and the unfit.
How did you know I am forced to live on antibiotics to keep my lungs working?

I know that neat all of what I do as an electrician is very simple.

You have not answered the question though, what are the other methods of qualifying as an electrician.

Hey evolution and natural selection are natural apparatus that occur over a geological time scale, unfortunately for us we haven't been around long enough to even dent its irrevocable slow grind to the inevitable concussion… women without heads hahahah!
Sorry, wasn't aware of your lung condition :)

so my alternative to apprenticeships is …learn the trade without an apprenticeship

But how? It's all well and good saying learn the trade without an apprenticeship, but how do you go about it? How do you learn a trade without working with experienced tradesmen?

Hey evolution and natural selection are natural apparatus that occur over a geological time scale, unfortunately for us we haven't been around long enough to even dent its irrevocable slow grind to the inevitable concussion… women without heads hahahah!
Sorry, wasn't aware of your lung condition :)

so my alternative to apprenticeships is …learn the trade without an apprenticeship

But natural selection relies on the survival of the fittest, that is to say those who are unfit or anyone viewed as being inferior to the species not being allowed to continue.
Our modern world seems to thrive on promoting the unfit as being equal to those who are.

Whoa! This thread has lost it's way a bit! Is me asking a question to help me get qualified counter to the purpose of this site? That's not the impression I got from the threads I've read so far. I know you can't get the full nvq3 without doing some work as an electrician, but that doesn't come into it until much later. If you can't find work yourself the college has on-going projects they can put you in to. I guess it becomes an apprenticeship later, that's for pedants to worry about. I don't think I've been conned, I just have to work a bit harder on theory at the beginning because I'm not an electricians mate. I prefer to do it this way 'cause I have bills to pay. Thanks for your concern.

Sorry I was being flippant.
Do you want me to spell it out and risk the wrath of all on here?
Oh ok then… well you go online book yourself into a course like 2360, spend time learning at college and home while working else where, come on here or other forums and dont get frightened off by morons, read, work, make mistakes and learn… work with other sparks and other trades, its easy… next thing you know you've been doing it for years :)

But natural selection relies on the survival of the fittest, that is to say those who are unfit or anyone viewed as being inferior to the species not being allowed to continue.
Our modern world seems to thrive on promoting the unfit as being equal to those who are.
Dave look up geological time scale, then look up how long humanity have been around:)

Who is right Zebra stripe or Dave, well there's only one way to find out fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Hey Dave, pop over to Hawkmoons TNCS thread and we can have some proper electrician talk, apprentice trained to self taught so to speak, but in a learning way:)

Sorry I was being flippant.
Do you want me to spell it out and risk the wrath of all on here?
Oh ok then… well you go online book yourself into a course like 2360, spend time learning at college and home while working else where, come on here or other forums and dont get frightened off by morons, read, work, make mistakes and learn… work with other sparks and other trades, its easy… next thing you know you've been doing it for years :)

So an informal apprenticeship then? Spending time working with qualified tradesmen is what an apprenticeship is! Either formally where you come out with a certificate at the end of it, or informally where you just get the important stuff and not the certificate.

Now back to the question how do you qualify as an electrician without an apprenticeship.

Reply to basic and fault protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net