Discuss Bathroom light fitting with no joist to fix it to in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GMjohn

Hi,

I'm changing out 6 downlights in the bathroom as they don't work very well and was going to change it for one ip44 rated bathroom light fitting which takes 1 es bulb. The fitting has a 32cm diameter approx, with a glass cover. However, when I took the downlights out, I noticed it was a false ceiling with plasterboard attached to wooden supports, and there was no wooden support near where I was going to put the new fitting. I cannot get access from above to fit another wooden support for the light to fix into, so was wondering what my options are.

On the spot, I could think of two possibilities, but don't have the experience to know if they'd be safe ones. The obvious would be to use plasterboard fixings like spring toggles, but I have no idea whether that would be suitable for holding the weight or whether the plasterboard is at risk of being pulled down at some future point. I have also considered whether I could shove a length of wood up through one of the existing downlight holes, screw through the plasterboard to hold it in position, and fix the fitting into this. I guess this would give something to screw into and spread the weight a little, but would it serve the purpose and be safe?

Is there a way to fix this fitting to the ceiling safely without putting a noggin up there to screw to? Or is my only real option to refit downlights?

shove a length of wood up through one of the existing downlight holes, screw through the plasterboard to hold it in position, and fix the fitting into this.

​done htis a few times. as long as the fitting is not too heavy, should be OK.

My advice is to forget the es lamp fitting, old fashioned and outdated, get a 18 watt led round bathroom light, they weigh next to nothing and costs are now very competitive.

and don't forget to power the light ( and the fan) from the shower.:willy_nilly:

I would you the plaster board fixings that need a tool to set them. They spread out behind the board in a cross. Like these
http://m.NoLinkingToThis/p/fischer-hm-plasterboard-anchors-m4-x-46mm-pack-of-20/38777?filtered=true

im from lincs actually, grew up in a sh! thole called swadlincote.

ive gone up market now I live in castle donington

I used to spend about 3 days a week in that place for about 5 years, ashby de la zouch is nice

Reply to Bathroom light fitting with no joist to fix it to in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net