Discuss Bathroom underfloor heating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jimbob2

Hi, I will shortly be installing underfloorheating to a small bathroom floor. There is currently an electric shower but this will be changing to a mixer shower running off a combi boiler. My question is, can I now use the redundant shower cable to wire directly to the underfloor heating controller?

Thanks

Hi, I will shortly be installing underfloorheating to a small bathroom floor. There is currently an electric shower but this will be changing to a mixer shower running off a combi boiler. My question is, can I now use the redundant shower cable to wire directly to the underfloor heating controller?

Thanks

No, the cable for an electric shower won't fit in the terminals of the controller for a start!

Thanks

Yes is the answer to the question,not directly to the controller though. It will need to go through a fused connection unit before the controller and possibly the OCPD will need to be replaced for one of a lower rating. Assuming you are a DIYer are you aware of part P,and the legal requirement that the work is carried out fully in accordance with bs 7671?

Yes is the answer to the question,not directly to the controller though. It will need to go through a fused connection unit before the controller and possibly the OCPD will need to be replaced for one of a lower rating. Assuming you are a DIYer are you aware of part P,and the legal requirement that the work is carried out fully in accordance with bs 7671?

An FCU? It's more normal to use an SFCU for this.

Why does he need to bother with part p and those silly regulations? After all you've told him what to do already.

No I haven't,I've told him he can potentially use the shower cable,thats all. And OK,a SFCU if your feeling pendantic.

The first line of your post at # 7 says 'Yes is the answer to the question'
How exactly do you expect that to be read? It sure as hell looks like you are saying that the answer to his question is yes and then go on to explain the details of how

I have not said I will be doing the final writing up myself. I just wanted to know if this was possible as the only plug sockets near by are already spurs, not on the main ring. The current shower cable runs right past where the power will be needed, saving ripping up floor boards etc

I have not said I will be doing the final writing up myself. I just wanted to know if this was possible as the only plug sockets near by are already spurs, not on the main ring. The current shower cable runs right past where the power will be needed, saving ripping up floor boards etc

A decent electrician wouldn't be ripping up floorboards, they would be lifting them in such a way that they done get damaged. Ripping things apart in a persons home is not the work of a tradesman.

It might be possible to do, it might not, nobody will be able to say for site without looking at it and possibly carrying out a bit of testing.

At this stage we have to ask, are you an electrician?

Yes it is possible to do what you ask BUT it needs an electrician with the correct amount of skills, quals, test equipment and experience with an under floor heating system to ensure it works for 20 years and not just 20 minuets.

How much would it cost to rip up all those new tiles to find a fault? Thousands of £££'s! Seen it now 3 times due to the bathroom fitter installing UFHS.

this is not necessarily a problem.

This thread is in the general forum

If someone came on here and said they were an electrician."Can this be done",he would be crucified:6:

A Diy person asks and he is encouraged to do certain things :thinking:

I seem to be getting confused by this forum,nevertheless lets all be nice about it all :bigcry:

This thread is in the general forum

If someone came on here and said they were an electrician."Can this be done",he would be crucified:6:

A Diy person asks and he is encouraged to do certain things :thinking:

I seem to be getting confused by this forum,nevertheless lets all be nice about it all :bigcry:

Des, this was his opening line:- "Hi, I will shortly be installing underfloorheating to a small bathroom floor."

We have no idea if he is an electrician or a DIYer? No information on how to install this has been given yet so dont worry about it. Let him post back to us.

Des, this was his opening line:- "Hi, I will shortly be installing underfloorheating to a small bathroom floor."

We have no idea if he is an electrician or a DIYer? No information on how to install this has been given yet so dont worry about it. Let him post back to us.

Yes we DO, he wouldn't be asking the question if he was a qualified electrician...

Reply to Bathroom underfloor heating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net