Discuss Battery off-peak charging? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I’m highly likely to swerve this one, but just wanted to hear some thoughts.

Old guy at newsagents this morning saw my van and started asking questions.

He wants to somehow use off-peak rates to charge battery’s overnight…. Then use the battery through the day to run the house. (Electric heating)
He mentioned 48v battery.

Is this possible?
Probably…. But efficient? I dunno.

I think Tesla powerwall unit will do that.

All very possible... but the productised solutions out there... Tesla, Sonnen etc. etc. (there are quite a few now) are prohibitively expensive. E.g. a Sonnen 10kWh battery setup is likely to cost about £8,000 with installation... with a payback period (with current electricity prices) of about 25 years... but that's beyond the life of the system.

You can build and install your own system from components and get a payback period closer to 10 years.

Of course... if electricity prices rocket... the economics all change.

He wants to somehow use off-peak rates to charge battery’s overnight…. Then use the battery through the day to run the house. (Electric heating)
He mentioned 48v battery.

Is this possible?
Don't know the practicality of doing this when it involves (daytime?) electric heating - surely that bit would be better served by storage heating of some sort?
There do seem to be more sensibly priced ways of powering rest of house during the day though.
These people do a charger/5kW inverter apparently for £750 (not including the 48v batteries of course.)
I know nothing about them, but, assuming bona-fide, you could point him in their direction ?
Still going to cost the proverbial arm and leg for batteries of course?

Cheers guys.

The fella did mention truck battery’s…. I suppose 2 x 24v in series to get his 48v?

He may have PV as well, but he didn’t say.

If the object of the exercise is just to provide domestic heating, it'll be a lot cheaper, and only slightly less efficient to invest in modern storage heaters or a heatstore (very large HW cylinder) connected to a conventional or UFH water central heating system.

Typical lead-acid commercial vehicle batteries are 100-120AH @ 12V used in series pairs. They are not intended for frequent cyclic charge/discharge use and will soon fall apart if repeatedly discharged. Deep-cycle leisure batteries are more expensive and outwardly similar, but able to withstand daily cyclic use to say 60% depth of discharge for a few years
120Ah * 12V * 0.6= 0.85kWh.
Vs. storage heater 17kWh.

20 'truck batteries'= 1 storage heater and need replacing every 2 years. Not a practical proposition.

Larger batteries fare better, as does Lithium, but when the goal is to heat with off-peak electricity, it's still best to store the heat rather than the electricity.

Reply to Battery off-peak charging? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net