Discuss Best 18V cordless drill for around £150.. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

timo1

-
Reaction score
Hi, would appreciate thoughts, looking to get a new drill but only want to spend about £150. S c r e w fix have got some decent deals on Bosch blue which I normally would choose but the reviews are not great. Makita are doing a Ni-cad with 3 batteries for about £100, I know that li-on is the future but most batteries are only 1.3ah and thinking you may get more drill for your money with ni-cad?

You pay for what you get tbh, bought a Tonka toy dewalt from screwix when they were on offer for £99. Ended up buying a decent milwaukee in the end. So £99 wasted. They are all right for DIY but not much cop when it comes to the daily work life of a spark.

You pay for what you get tbh, bought a Tonka toy dewalt from screwfix when they were on offer for £99. Ended up buying a decent milwaukee in the end. So £99 wasted. They are all right for DIY but not much cop when it comes to the daily work life of a spark.

A good choice of manufacturer....

Have the Makita, love it

I was of the same opinion for several years, ....until i tried the equivilent Milwaukiee!! Makita are now definitly my second choice. If you get the chance, try one yourself, ..but you may just end up buying it though!!! lol!! ...Dam things are niegh on bomb proof too!!!

I was of the same opinion for several years, ....until i tried the equivilent Milwaukiee!! Makita are now definitly my second choice. If you get the chance, try one yourself, ..but you may just end up buying it though!!! lol!! ...Dam things are niegh on bomb proof too!!!

When this has had it's day I may give it a try then, I had always had Bosch's before the Makita and thought they were okay, I never got on with dewalt myself but know lots of guys who swear by them.

Just bought the makita lxt202 with the 451 drill and the impact driver and its the best kit i've bought ever, obviously i can't speak myself for reliability but i know plenty of people that have had many trouble free years with these kits, just don't ever ever buy a hitachi 18v nicad they're pants!

I bought a AEG BSB 18v 3.0 ah Li-Ion and the impact driver 3 years ago, the bloke that works with me bought a bosh the same time. I've had no issues at all, he's had many issues and it's been back many times. My AEG gets heavy use everyday. I might of been lucky, but when it finally die's I'll defo be getting another AEG.

The new Stanley FatMax is worth a look, I was amazed at how good it is considering this is Stanley's first offering. It's on sale at Argos for only £99.99!
Stanley UK - 18V Hammer Drill
Stanley FatMax 18V Cordless Hammer Drill - YouTube
You will need to cut/paste the 'link' below as system doesn't like it:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7114360.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:11527|cc:|prd:7114360|cat:home+and+garden+%2F+diy+tools+and+power+tools+%2F+diy+power+tools+%2F+drills+%2F

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a AEG BSB 18v 3.0 ah Li-Ion and the impact driver 3 years ago, the bloke that works with me bought a bosh the same time. I've had no issues at all, he's had many issues and it's been back many times. My AEG gets heavy use everyday. I might of been lucky, but when it finally dies I'll defo be getting another AEG.

I believe the AEG brand is owned by Milwaukee, sort of their budget range. Seen a few odd bits of AEG stuff with the contractor here, that basically only uses all Milwaukee equipment....

De Walt was good at one time, but now mostly seen as being unreliable, and not particularly robust. Not sure how much truth is in it, but have heard from many sources that the batteries lasted no time, compared with the competition.

i have the makita at the moment bought about 4 years ago,it's reliable but as i have seen how powerfull some of the boshes are,i will be investing in one of them soon.
just an after thought it has started making a bit of noise lately probably brushes or needs oiling i would imagine.has anyone tried oiling or changing brushes? or is it not worth the bother?

Thanks for the replies. Interesting to hear about AEG being owned by milwaikiee, B and Q have a deal at the moment AEG 18V combi with 3Ah battery £129. I think the Nm is 45 which is pretty punchy. They all look so pretty and lonely....

i got the AEG.Li-ion. b&q have them on offer at the moment. great piece of kit for the money.

i want one of these next, just need to rob a bank firsthttp://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/bosch-gbh24vs-3-8kg-sds-plus-drill-24v/94332;jsessionid=5NlnQlwTLxD01phTvxBdXSjK8Zz7SJpryWjyjqSvGyQK9JSrJjQZ!-787796617?_requestid=455522!

My metabo 18v ltx burned out last week after about 11 months. Gutted. Was going great till i lent it to another spark. Hope it isn't too serious but completely jammed and smoked for about an hour

Are makita batteries chipped I bought a kit 2 drills 3 batteries only ever used 1 drill and numbered the batteries and always used them in order. Strange part is all 3 batteries pack up the same week. Anyone else found this ?

I will concur that Milwaukee are awsome tools, a pal has just bought one of these sets, however........they are seriously pricey, I priced them up and they are not far off Hilti money!!!!.

Reply to Best 18V cordless drill for around £150.. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net