Discuss Best way to check continuity of cpc for lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
20 y old lighting circuit with cpc at the board but terminating into class 2 recessed down light fittings. Looks like there is a junction box in the ceiling void feeding the light with L&N but I can't access the junction box so not sure how can prove continuity of the circuit?

in reality. if they are all class 2 lights, the obvious danger points are the switches if they are conductive.

i would start by checking there.

Can you put in a “shower” or “garage” board with rcd dedicated just for the new shower and not touch the existing circuits as they are?

changing the board involves as much testing as an EICR anyway

I’ve been known to try a B6 rcbo connected to a plug top, plugged into the sockets circuit, and wago the lighting circuit to it as a quick sanity check that nothing will cause instant tripping. Not desperately safe of course but proves the point.
Sometimes you can het a clamp meter around L and N which is a safer test.

Apart from that I’d crack on - do the other circuit and then IR tests (L+N to cpc bar)

(I think BPG1 covers this situation of a cu change with no cpc on lighting btw.)

I’ve been known to try a B6 rcbo connected to a plug top, plugged into the sockets circuit, and wago the lighting circuit to it as a quick sanity check that nothing will cause instant tripping. Not desperately safe of course but proves the point.
Sometimes you can het a clamp meter around L and N which is a safer test.

Apart from that I’d crack on - do the other circuit and then IR tests (L+N to cpc bar)

(I think BPG1 covers this situation of a cu change with no cpc on lighting btw.)
Thanks, there is a cpc at the CU just cannot find where it terminates at a particular class 2 lamp on the circuit as Junction box feeding it is inaccessible so guess i will just have to rely on where I can check it elsewhere on the circuit

I wouldn’t waste too long on it - my main concern would be whether it will cause me grief once reconnected.
Regarding the paperwork you can’t get an R2 or Zs so you’ll have to add a note to that effect, and you are adding RCD protection which will serve as last resort fault protection in absence of verifiable fault protection via CPC.
(Obviously I’d be recommending lighting is rewire in due course too.)

I wouldn’t waste too long on it - my main concern would be whether it will cause me grief once reconnected.
Regarding the paperwork you can’t get an R2 or Zs so you’ll have to add a note to that effect, and you are adding RCD protection which will serve as last resort fault protection in absence of verifiable fault protection via CPC.
(Obviously I’d be recommending lighting is rewire in due course too.)
Thanks for your comments- makes sense

Reply to Best way to check continuity of cpc for lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net