• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss BG slides on SPD's and AFDD's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Got sent this today by an independent wholesaler and thought it would be interesting to see peoples comments

Happy reading / viewing
I think lots of people are getting hood winked by wholesalers regarding these items, you need to read the Regulations regarding installing AFDDs and SPDDs regarding how, where, when and why, before you scaremonger your clients, into maybe unnecessary expenditure, for my tuppence worth.

Got sent this today by an independent wholesaler and thought it would be interesting to see peoples comments

Happy reading / viewing
They've reworded parts of that haven't they.

SPD's are 'mandatory' in domestic environments, then they go on to say a risk assessment should be carried out to see if they are necessary??

They also say you have to find out the number of lightning strikes in the area you are installing as part of the assessment. I can just imagine having to contact the weather department everytime I fit a new CU :D.

An interesting/funny read Murdoch, thanks. Not sure why the chap gave you a dumb, perhaps he meant the article.

being most of my work is housebashing there are very few instances where i would need to fit one unless apartments, multi storey etc.
"except for single dwelling units where the total value of the installation and equipment therein, does not justify such protection"

its written to flog them at stupid prices and regardless of merit, this thing will only become more common so long as the manufacturers are on the JPEL/64 determining regulations, Wago vHager come to mind over MF enclosure/terminals. Too many vested interests on the panel now.

One of the staff members revealed last year there are profiles they use to test things ....
As I’ve already explained to you in another thread yes we do have a profile we use to test things and it’s @Testaccount. I really don’t see why you need to persist on continually stirring the pot

As I’ve already explained to you in another thread yes we do have a profile we use to test things and it’s @Testaccount. I really don’t see why you need to persist on continually stirring the pot

My last word on the subject ......... because the alert in question is abused as convincingly proved by the idiot yesterday

Just get rid of it ........... or allow trolls like him to stir the pot.

My last word on the subject ......... because the alert in question is abused as convincingly proved by the idiot yesterday

Just get rid of it ........... or allow trolls like him to stir the pot.

When are you going to accept that you don't make the rules on here and as for having the last word on the subject, here it is, one more accusation from you about staff and rogue accounts without proof will see you Banned immediately.

When are you going to accept that you don't make the rules on here and as for having the last word on the subject, here it is, one more accusation from you about staff and rogue accounts without proof will see you Banned immediately.

you are ALL missing the point.

And my statement about the account was spot on .............. as confirmed

People can also have multiple accounts ....

I would have liked to have seen an answer to this paragraph:

Since the introduction of the regulation there have been many questions raised by the installers as to whether these devices are a necessary piece of equipment, mainly due to the lack of confidence in the devices and the initial cost of the product (£150 Approx.)

They also say you have to find out the number of lightning strikes in the area you are installing as part of the assessment. I can just imagine having to contact the weather department everytime I fit a new CU :D.
The rate of expected lightning strikes in a given area are shown on a map of the UK in the BBB. No need to contact Carol Kirkwood....(sadly)

Reply to BG slides on SPD's and AFDD's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back