Discuss Blanks missing from CU in 2 senarios in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Define danger present.

Where an observation has been given a Classification code C1, the safety of those using the installation is at risk and immediate remedial action is required.

The person responsible for the maintenance of the installation is advised to take action without delay to remedy the observed deficiency in the installation, or to take other appropriate action (such as switching off and isolating the affected part(s) of the installation) to remove the danger.

At the end of the day a C1 or C2 will fail the report as unsatisfactory. Our judgement on site it to make sure there is nothing that will hurt anyone or cause a fire until the C2s are carried out. I think a blank missing can really fit into either catogory, i explained earlier my reasoning. Its nice to see a decent debate on here.

At the end of the day a C1 or C2 will fail the report as unsatisfactory. Our judgement on site it to make sure there is nothing that will hurt anyone or cause a fire until the C2s are carried out. I think a blank missing can really fit into either catogory, i explained earlier my reasoning. Its nice to see a decent debate on here.

Agree both C1 and C2 are fails, but there is a difference. You cannot re energise a circuit that has a C1. You must isolate or immediately do remedial works to remove the " danger present".
You can re energise a circuit that is a C2.

You will note the correct terminology ( danger present)

Agree both C1 and C2 are fails, but there is a difference. You cannot re energise a circuit that has a C1. You must isolate or immediately do remedial works to remove the " danger present".

You will note the correct terminology ( danger present)
Who says you cannot re-energise a circuit with a C1 and who says you can re-energise a circuit with a C2?

So if a CU has a blank missing and you give it a C1, do you isolate the CU until you fit a blank? What if you haven't any spare or the correct blank for the CU, do you isolate the CU and only energise it when you have fitted the blank? (All friendly questions, as I am curious)
I would be miffed if the CU had to be isolated for a length of time just due to a blank missing. Are all customers that thick that they will stick their finder in somewhere that you have just told them is dangerous?

So if a CU has a blank missing and you give it a C1, do you isolate the CU until you fit a blank? What if you haven't any spare or the correct blank for the CU, do you isolate the CU and only energise it when you have fitted the blank? (All friendly questions, as I am curious)
I would be miffed if the CU had to be isolated for a length of time just due to a blank missing. Are all customers that thick that they will stick their finder in somewhere that you have just told them is dangerous?

But is a missing blank a C1 or a C2

As I said earlier in this case it's easy. I always carry spare blanks so would fit them there and then so no issue.

If I was on a job and went to the board to isolate I would notice right away that blanks where missing. If I didn't have any on me I would not continue with the job until I rectified this. As I had not started the job I would not have isolated at this stage therefore there would be no onus on me to re energise.

This whole thread is really a bit pointless, but quite interesting, as it's an easy fix. Minimal cost minimal time to sort. No issue.

As we all know the first thing to do when conducting a periodic inspection, is to inspect.
So finding a missing blank or a damaged socket should not involve de-energising any circuits.
So the question is, are you going to de-energise the affected circuit knowing full well that you will not re-energise the circuit before the C1 condition is rectified?

Reply to Blanks missing from CU in 2 senarios in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net