Discuss Board Change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MBEINST

Hi Guys,

Just been to quote for a consumer unit change.

Bonding is good, Zs is good, Seven circuits:

Shower, no problems foreseen.

Cooker, no problems foreseen.

All Sockets main house on one Ring, I am not comfortable with one 32A RCBO protecting sockets in kitchen, upstairs and downstairs (20 in total). I have advised that at least the kitchen needs to be on its own circuit.

Garage conversion separate Ring, no problems foreseen.

All lights main house on one radial (7 in total), obviously not upto current regs but not an issue in terms of load.

Garage conversion lights, no problems foreseen.

Alarm same circuit, no problems foreseen.

Unfortunately couple don’t want to pay for the extra work or disturb the decorative state. Replacing the current re-wirable bakerlite board with a fully populated RCBO board would obviously make the whole installation much safer.

Would I be wrong to connect the main house ring to the new board as it stands?

Comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

just do the CU. it's your work that needs to be to current regs, not existing installation, as long as circuits are safe to connect to new CU.

Nuisance tripping.

Best practice would be that the lights would be on separate circuits not dependent on the same breaker.

Kitchen sockets would have their own circuit and so would upstairs and downstairs.

20 double socket outlets could potentially pull 520A, even allowing for diversity this would be an issue.

Perhaps if I am wrong someone could justify why this arrangement would comply with current regs?

If the circuits are electrically sound and all tested correctly and haven't had alterations incorrectly installed , then as far as a consumer unit replacement goes the installation is compliant , the only note you can make is recommendations and advise the customer of them , both before work starts and on the installation cert..

Nuisance tripping.

Best practice would be that the lights would be on separate circuits not dependent on the same breaker.

Kitchen sockets would have their own circuit and so would upstairs and downstairs.

20 double socket outlets could potentially pull 520A, even allowing for diversity this would be an issue.

Perhaps if I am wrong someone could justify why this arrangement would comply with current regs?
then fit a RCBO board

If the circuits are electrically sound and all tested correctly and haven't had alterations incorrectly installed , then as far as a consumer unit replacement goes the installation is compliant , the only note you can make is recommendations and advise the customer of them , both before work starts and on the installation cert..

This is what I thought and was looking for re-assurance which was provided thanks to telectix.

I am not comfortable at the thought of Mum ironing in the kitchen whilst making a brew, washing machine loaded and running perhaps dishwasher too. Daughter in her bedroom (heated by a portable radiator) using her hairdryer, Son gaming in his bedroom (Also heated by a portable radiator). Dad down the pub doing what most blokes should be doing whilst the brood are wasting his hard earned!

All on a 32A breaker.

This is what I thought and was looking for re-assurance which was provided thanks to telectix.

I am not comfortable at the thought of Mum ironing in the kitchen whilst making a brew, washing machine loaded and running perhaps dishwasher too. Daughter in her bedroom (heated by a portable radiator) using her hairdryer, Son gaming in his bedroom (Also heated by a portable radiator). Dad down the pub doing what most blokes should be doing whilst the brood are wasting his hard earned!

Then go ahead and do what you think is right in your eyes , Your obviously in a position to recommend and work to be carried out if its a relative your working for..IMHO...

Nuisance tripping.

20 double sockets fully loaded to their rated current would total 400A not 560A, BS1363 twin socket is rated to 20A.

If you go round that house and switch on every single thing with a plug on it and then log the total current draw over an hour and then plot it on a graph against the tripping curve of a 32A MCB then you will see exactly how overloaded that circuit is not!

The average house (showers excepted) won't see more than 20A through its tails for any sustained period.

20 double sockets fully loaded to their rated current would total 400A not 560A, BS1363 twin socket is rated to 20A.

Not sure where the 560A came into it but in my house my sockets can take a plug fitted with a 13A fuse. My kettle is rated at 3000W.

Now in theory if I plugged 40 of these kettles into the circuit the demand would be:

40 X 13 = 520.

Obviously the breaker would trip.

Thanks to all for your input.

I am now officially bored with this thread.

Reply to Board Change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net