Search the forum,

Discuss Board Change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Z's in plural (ie:both Ze and Zs). apologies for missing the apostrophe.

It's a shame that your reduced to picking up my grammar now.

I think you may be telling a porky sir... If you meant Z's, you would have put Z's ARE. You put IS so I think you did mean Zs.... Which is just absolutely appalling MB.... give up this career at once!!!! :wink:

Last edited:
think it's time the thread was closed before the handbags come out. :6:

oooooooo claws out !!!!

It is perhaps just a tiny bit tongue in cheek Dazza! :57:

ps.. I was going to put a smile at the end, but my 6 year old son told me to put this one!!! and now he wants this one!! :54:

Going a bit off track.... sorry chaps!

It is perhaps just a tiny bit tongue in cheek Dazza! :57:

ps.. I was going to put a smile at the end, but my 6 year old son told me to put this one!!! and now he wants this one!! :54:

Going a bit off track.... sorry chaps!

Like the wine glass but a pint would be more appropriate.

Play nice....already warned one on this particular tread today....and would like the rest of my Sunday to be peaceful...ready for the final.

Like the wine glass but a pint would be more appropriate.

worlds-biggest-beer-pint-glass-drinking.jpg

Here you go now chill out and listen to all us God like beings and do as you're told.

Doesn't it depend on what budget the customer has put aside for the CUs...?.you may have limited yourself without submitting this vital part of the jigsaw.....

Doesn't it depend on what budget the customer has put aside for the CUs...?.you may have limited yourself without submitting this vital part of the jigsaw.....

I always quote for both twin RCD and fully loaded RCBO.

Explain the differences and advantages then let the customer decide.

Would I be correct in thinking that you belong in that camp then Murdoch.

My standards come from the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations not those who denigrate it and then profess to know everything.

Everyday is a school day!

No not in any camp. Just pointing out that before the 17th, were the 16th, before the 16th were the 15th......

The 17th isn't where the story began.....

Lets start at the beginning,

I originally asked for a little reassurance on reconnecting a whole house ring main to one 32A RCBO. This has POTENTIAL for nuisance tripping.

As did whatever was previously installed

I don’t believe that I am barking up the wrong tree

I had concerns over connecting the whole house kitchen included onto one 32A RCBO. POTENTIALLY this could result in nuisance tripping at no point did I suggest that it was dangerous.

At no point in your OP did you mention nuisance tripping all that was mentioned was splitting a circuit which can only be assumed you are seeing some danger in the existing set up

Unless I am mistaken nuisance tripping on this circuit is not a problem that we can confidently say doesn’t exist.

This could be said of most circuits add up all the values of all the MCB's / RCBO's / fuses in your average consumer unit and you find the 80A / 100A DNO fuse could cause nuisance failure

I'm sure when diversity is mentioned some think it's that dance group who won BGT

This is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people who are too frightened to ask questions.
Obviously this is the environment which you would like to engender.

There are questions and then there are questions

The point is probably that it would be nice if people didn’t read things that aren’t asked. Obviously some of the responders don’t understand plain English and have suddenly decided that because I flagged up a POTENTIAL issue with nuisance tripping, I am somehow suggesting a dangerous installation.
Perhaps it’s time that some of the self righteous know alls got off their high horse read the original post and answered the question in the spirit it was asked.

Read your own OP below then tell me where in that post you flagged up a nuisance tripping issue

Hi Guys,

Just been to quote for a consumer unit change.

Bonding is good, Zs is good, Seven circuits:

Shower, no problems foreseen.

Cooker, no problems foreseen.

All Sockets main house on one Ring, I am not comfortable with one 32A RCBO protecting sockets in kitchen, upstairs and downstairs (20 in total). I have advised that at least the kitchen needs to be on its own circuit.

Garage conversion separate Ring, no problems foreseen.

All lights main house on one radial (7 in total), obviously not upto current regs but not an issue in terms of load.

Garage conversion lights, no problems foreseen.

Alarm same circuit, no problems foreseen.

Unfortunately couple don’t want to pay for the extra work or disturb the decorative state. Replacing the current re-wirable bakerlite board with a fully populated RCBO board would obviously make the whole installation much safer.

Would I be wrong to connect the main house ring to the new board as it stands?

Comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Move with the times fellas we are now in the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Ed era. Stop trying to denigrate it.

So you are the Orwellian I think you will find more installations in this country that comply with earlier versions of the regs that still properly function and are perfectly safe for continued use than you will find 17th edition installations
This is this worst aspect of the 17th edition and todays training that anything other than a 17th edition installation is wrong and must be replaced

I spent three years at night school to get my qualifications, including 2391 and picked up some experience along the way working for free. I would have loved to have galvanised my experience by working for someone for a few years before going it alone.

Unfortunately when you are viewed as future competition no one is prepared to give you any help. In the end I decided to go it alone. Its been over two years now and I’m doing very nicely thank you.

I have used this forum to seek advice and guidance not because I don’t know what I am doing but because sometimes I like the reassurance from those more experienced that my thoughts are correct.

I have never suggested or implied any danger in this installation. I do see nuisance tripping as a POTENTIAL issue. If this is my crime then I am guilty.

Hang me.

There is no problem seeking advice but the wording of your OP leaves you open interpretation and some subsequent posts show some fundamental knowledge is lacking

I suggest you read your OP again as you did not offer any explaination as to your reason for splitting the RFC hence the flack you have received and assumuptions have been made
I would have thought that a simple question to the customer and / or pulling the circuit fuse if it's a rewireable would have given you the answer as to the nuisance tripping in the past

Gosh, you've taken a bit of a bashing on this thread haven't you MB! :6:

Anyway, some of the guys who have responded really do have a huge amount of experience so try and stay cool and listen to them.

The thread by Murdoch giving you a link to the 'best practice guide number 2 - Consumer unit replacement n domestic and similar premises' is definitely worth reading as it will answer most of the questions which have been raised in this thread. Best Practice Guides - Electrical Safety First

As others have said, it is common to have one ring (I do) and one circuit for the lights (again I do). I wouldn't install a new build like this but its not going to be dangerous and you certainly shouldn't be telling a customer that it needs to be brought up to current wiring regulations before a board change as that is not true.

Good luck... and read the best practice guide(s)!! :smiley2:

Aye, we thought we'd give you a break for a couple of days. ;)

tha's slipping geordie. tha' needs a lesson from glennspark.

Reply to Board Change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock