Discuss Boiler problem Camray 3 Boulter / Buderus. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey all have an old boiler looks like C+, I have had to use an rf mains link to act as a remote switch line if you get what I mean from cylinder stat into dhw valve, valve motors around and goes to boiler in wiring centre via rf link and calls boiler in, only issue is that boiler is also connected in wiring centre to the roomstat oranges and then back feeds 240V to heating pump as it's linked to the boiler. Fine for the nest to call for heating, but for hot water it also feeds the pump (heating only) hot water is gravity only. As room stat is not calling, the valve stays closed with pump running against it !

Anyone got any solutions as apparently you can use some kind of relay for this ?
Thanks all,

Hi SS, any chance of a drawing? Sounds like you need to separate the room stat and CH pump from the boiler L, but I'm lost on the existing wiring set up.

Hi SS, any chance of a drawing? Sounds like you need to separate the room stat and CH pump from the boiler L, but I'm lost on the existing wiring set up.
Haven't got a drawing as such buddy, but can explain what I have / seems like !

Looks like it's trying to be a C+ plan,
but the install was a mess, I have stripped it all out and reconnected as it was but with new valve etc..

From the boiler only the heating has a circ pump on it straight away then onto a 2 port valve HPA2, this in the garage next to new wiring centre, the nest heat link and the mains etc..

The dhw side is gravity only to upstairs airing cupboard in the house with an old range hercal type blue foam cylinder.
It had a twin and earth feed, neutral and earth only up there which fed the cylinder stat and then closed to fire the hw 2 port valve on cylinder pipework. There was effectively no switch line back to fire boiler, so I have provided a switched line back via RF link.

Old way was that when cylinder stat called for heat and opened the hw valve the hot water pretty much trickled through until the boiler lost heat and internal stat closed to pull boiler in again.

Room stat was old 240V fed Satchwell/Sunvic so switchline there opened heating valve, fed boiler L,N,E. and link inside a pattress blanked off fed the circ pump too.
Now the nest I have installed does the same job calling in the valve and have wired the microswitch on a new HPA2 valve to switch the boiler and link switches the feed also to the pump for heating.

Problem arises when the RF linked switchline returns to wiring centre and calls boiler for hot water only it then feeds 240V via the link between boiler and pump and pump starts up. The heating side is sat at 0V as satisfied and so pump would be pumping flow against closed heating valve. So I have had to revert back to the old way again as can't work out how I'm going to get boiler to fire separately from the switch line from bringing pump on. Hope this makes sense, and thanks for taking the time out.

I haven't had to do this, but perhaps a Guru can critique - leave HW if it works ok for you. Separate out CH valve orange and connect to relay coil (so CH demand activates relay). Relay contacts (when closed) connect L to boiler and CH pump. When CH demand is satisfied the relay opens and L is removed from pump. Boiler can still run from HW valve orange if needed.
Here's a link to a relay :)
230v AC 11 Pin Relay 3 Pole - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SR502.html

I haven't had to do this, but perhaps a Guru can critique - leave HW if it works ok for you. Separate out CH valve orange and connect to relay coil (so CH demand activates relay). Relay contacts (when closed) connect L to boiler and CH pump. When CH demand is satisfied the relay opens and L is removed from pump. Boiler can still run from HW valve orange if needed.
Here's a link to a relay :)
230v AC 11 Pin Relay 3 Pole - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SR502.html
You're a legend Wilko & you Lee and of course Richard Burns always great help on here ! Was looking at those ki d of relays earlier as used to use them for bms and AC controls in heat pumps etc. Years ago but. Thanks again, and if using the relay then the rf link could effectively switch to the boiler with the c/h and pump isolated from the juice couldn't it ?

Yes, the CH valve orange operates the relay and the relay connects L to CH pump and boiler. I'm just not too clear how many wires you've got (and where) to know if you can do this :)

Yes, the CH valve orange operates the relay and the relay connects L to CH pump and boiler. I'm just not too clear how many wires you've got (and where) to know if you can do this :)
It sounds spot on as I have the orange back from heating valve connected to boiler L and pump L so that would work with orange on relay coil and normally open so feeds boiler when closed, rf switched line from hot water valve orange to trigger boiler direct. I'm taking it that with the boiler fed from hw valve and relay being open contact due to heating valve not calling, that back feed 240V won't get back through open relay contact to bring on pump?

Reply to Boiler problem Camray 3 Boulter / Buderus. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net