Discuss Bonding clamp for steelwork in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dg2908

-
Reaction score
I need to bond an installation in a sectional building. The structure is made from several I-Beam arches joined by timber purlins so I need to bond each arch. I can't find these clamps mentioned much online, are they just called "I beam bonding clamps" or do I need to ask for something else?

There is one separate piece of steel in the building that supports the side of a gate - this is steel box section - how would people normally bond box section without drilling it?

I'm sure one small hole for a nut and bolt won't bring the building down :) Daz

Bad idea, you altering the structural integrity. He would be better welding a stud to it.

This is not a bad idea in the scope of things, I often drill, tap structural steel for numerous reasons and when we are talking 6mm maybe 8mm holes there is neglegible effects to the structural integrity ..... when you start popping out a 100mm hole then yes this is when you need a structural assessment report. Dont get the mindset of the H&S regs that have been fashioned from heresay and have no foundation.

This is not a bad idea in the scope of things, I often drill, tap structural steel for numerous reasons and when we are talking 6mm maybe 8mm holes there is neglegible effects to the structural integrity ..... when you start popping out a 100mm hole then yes this is when you need a structural assessment report. Dont get the mindset of the H&S regs that have been fashioned from heresay and have no foundation.

I'm talking from personal experience.

I have seen structural steel split from 6mm holes before. Fine this building was put under abnormal vibration. The building the OP is working in will probably not be. You could say this makes my point invalid, I have never personally done it myself since.

Do you know what stresses there are in the beam? The most likely answer is “no”. So how do you know it’s safe to drill the beam?

Weld a stud to it.

DW had you been seen drilling a beam on any of our works you would have been up the road.

Do you know what stresses there are in the beam? The most likely answer is “no”. So how do you know it’s safe to drill the beam?

Weld a stud to it.

DW had you been seen drilling a beam on any of our works you would have been up the road.

Drill and tap M6 is absolutely acceptable as long as you use common sense... dont drill at the edges etc, I've had this out before and won my case but depends whose calling the shots, clearly on your site a zero tolerance exists for any form of drilling of structural and I'd have to respect that and yes then alternatives would be the method as it goes without saying.

As Rob mentioned cracks arose from a drilled steel in his own experience and TBH if cracks develop after drilling an M6 then you have a hell of a lot more to worry about with the structural design of that building and the safety of the occupants as any vibration that can cause that will also be acting on any unwelded joints and the foundations it sits in.

Last report we had drafted from the Engineers for drilling of steel in a particular building gave us a safe area to drill and max size, in following these guidelines and a few others like distance apart etc we were allowed to continue as it posed very little effect on the structural integrity of the steel. Note I don't give and sizes here because its situe' applicable and varies but lets just say it was a standard upright and H form steel and we were told we had no worries with 6mm bolts in most set-ups while following the basic guidelines.

If I remember what they said it was you should only drill the web of the I beam and only within the centre third of the width leaving the outer thirds well alone, if you follow this then it will have no detriment to the structural integrity of the beam. if the hole is sizable or strays into the outer third on either side then a structural assessment should be made. The Irony here is wood is 10times weaker than steel and if we were so red-taped with H&S with wood as we are with steel then we would be requiring a structural Engineers evaluation and permision everytime we drill a wooden joist in a typical house.

Last edited:

Reply to Bonding clamp for steelwork in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net