• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Bonding to Gas and water am2 in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi all,

I have my am2 coming up. Just going over a few things. I am correct in saying that the Gas bonding would terminate in to the clamp below the joint, and not above it?
Also, I was going to use one continuous length of 10mm is this allowed, or is it better practice to use to lengths?

Regards
Bonding to Gas  and water am2 802D7480-3C99-4BD1-A4CA-569EA86CAE79 - EletriciansForums.net

Bond needs to be on consumer side not the meter providers side, one cable is fine if unbroken, but i would install 2 and labell them, thats personal choice

if the supply is from the bottom, then the clamp needs to be below the branch joint.

yeah i know. the idea of using a single cable, unboken, is to prevent wet-pants from dissing one service when messing about with the other.

Bond needs to be on consumer side not the meter providers side, one cable is fine if unbroken, but i would install 2 and label them, thats personal choice

2 cables are OK by the regs BUT best practice says a single continuous cable is better.

hi all,

I have my am2 coming up. Just going over a few things. I am correct in saying that the Gas bonding would terminate in to the clamp below the joint, and not above it?
Also, I was going to use one continuous length of 10mm is this allowed, or is it better practice to use to lengths?

Regards
View attachment 41146
Consumers side of the intake
2 cables are OK by the regs BUT best practice says a single continuous cable is better.
1 Bond to the H2O and 1 bond to the Gas= 2 conductors it would need to be continuous, which would be difficult if the gas and water entered the building on different sides of the building, can you show me where it says 1 conductor is best practice Murdoch please?
Sizing main protective bonding conductors - https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/sizing-main-protective-bonding-conductors

Last edited:
Can you quote the regulation number stating this please?
For the record I prefer an unbroken cable if I was only using one
Section 54
Sorry, that’s nonsense. Either individual conductors to gas and water, or one single, continuous conductor serving both.
It is not nonsense, protective conductors have got to be continuous.
It is up to you if you want to use one conductor for water and another conductor for gas but continuity is key no breaks at all.
Guidance note 8 (earthing & bonding) page 57.

Reply to Bonding to Gas and water am2 in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back