Discuss Buying British in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Im a vote out person. I am proud to be British. I wanted to look into how many UK manufactuers of electrical switches / sockets / consumer units etc we still have. I would love to move away from imported MCB etc and start to promote and use British made products even if it costs a little more money. Can anyone recommend a true British company and I would be interested in all your thoughts. Thanks

You won't find an answer to the question.
Nothing is every completely made in one Country.

Made in (any country) probably means the majority, so that's more than 50%, of parts made and final assembly carried out.

Good luck with your list but as Snowhead says it's often more complex than it might seem, almost no products are entirely made in only one country. Some are made from components and modular parts that are sourced in other countries and just assembled in the UK, this is often done to avoid high import duties on complete assemblies. Some have a mixture of parts manufactured locally and parts from elsewhere and some are made from imported items at component level and the PCB's etc are made and the product is assembled locally. Then you get UK companies that design and manufacture/source components locally and abroad then set up their own manufacturing plant overseas to avoid high labour costs.

Don't MK manufacture over here ?
I can vouch for Doncaster cables as a decent home produced brand.
I'm sure I've read on some MK products that they are made in Malaysia though I could be wrong.

As others have said, finding solely British made stuff would be tricky. I believe Taison lighting make every aspect of their fittings in Bradford.

Bought a box of MK pull switches a few weeks back which proudly displayed the words "Made in China".
Is there anything made in this country any more?
Living in an area that relies on tourism we do not see many Chinese tourists and if the people who used to work in manufacturing have no jobs then they will not come here for a break. So much for progress!!

never mind. syria will soon be empty so we can go therefor out hols.

I'm sure I've read on some MK products that they are made in Malaysia though I could be wrong.

You're quite correct. Their grey double socket outlets with outboard rockers are certainly made in Malaysia, and I think grey spurs etc. as well.

Nice idea but dont think it would be a little more money if made in the UK. With the crazy hourly rates and H and S rules plus the unions demands you'd probably be looking at double IMO.

Hi everyone, Im a vote out person. I am proud to be British. I wanted to look into how many UK manufactuers of electrical switches / sockets / consumer units etc we still have. I would love to move away from imported MCB etc and start to promote and use British made products even if it costs a little more money. Can anyone recommend a true British company and I would be interested in all your thoughts. Thanks

Ronbar Factors in the North East assemble their earth bars in house, though not sure where the components come from. Does that count!

Cant fault hager but their french. I dont really care where it comes from as longs as the build qualities their. You will be selling yourself out of pocket

Mita and marco plastic containments are made in Wales

Also maybe another thought these parts maybe manufactured in this country but I bet the profits go to a foreign company , in most instances sadly

I met an ex-Contactum life-employee at one of the Elex-Shows, he was saying they've now moved all production to the far east.

Fitzgerald Lighting still pride themselves on being made in England (Cornwall).

Reply to Buying British in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net