Discuss C2 issues? Consumer Unit & Circuit forms a Figure of 8 Rather than a complete RFC? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Please help, just had a domestic EICR undertaken, a C2 issue: Consumer Unit does not meet minimum I.P rating, what does this mean and how do I check this out? how expensive to rectify? thanks!

Please help, just had a domestic EICR undertaken, a C2 issue: Consumer Unit does not meet minimum I.P rating, what does this mean and how do I check this out? how expensive to rectify? thanks!
the CU has cable entry holes, these should not be > a certain sizeover and above the cables. . i.e. top is 1mm clearance. sides and bottom are finger size. if not too excessive, some filler would suffice to seal. a picture would help
p.

Unfortunately this is the only pic I have, not ideal ( I don't live in the property ), I'll try and get a better picture soon

Attachments

• PXL_20220616_103158155.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 46
Also I'm told the 'FI' is really a 'C2' as it requires further investigation. I'd really appreciate some help with that, any opinions welcome please
Capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
FI means further investigation. this leads to an unsatisfactory report, same as a C2, but in a different way.

as regards the CU IP rating. there are several methods costing very little. a piece of plastic could be cut to fit and glued over the offending hole/s. blue tak, filler.anything that would stop penetration of the enclosure to the relevant rating.basically one does not want a customer to be able to poke a finger in and come into contact with live parts.

FI means further investigation. this leads to an unsatisfactory report, same as a C2, but in a different way.

as regards the CU IP rating. there are several methods costing very little. a piece of plastic could be cut to fit and glued over the offending hole/s. blue tak, filler.anything that would stop penetration of the enclosure to the relevant rating.basically one does not want a customer to be able to poke a finger in and come into contact with live parts.
really appreciate the replay; what does this mean: Circuit forms a Figure of 8 Rather than a complete RFC - do you come across this a lot?

The fact it has been verified as a figure of eight means it doesn't need investigating (FI) it is what it is. A ring final circuit is as it says a ring or a circle a figure of eight is as it says an eight, just imagine them. Is it dangerous, no providing the connections are sound it is just non conventional but does indicate the circuit has undergone non compliant alterations.

really appreciate the replay; what does this mean: Circuit forms a Figure of 8 Rather than a complete RFC - do you come across this a lot?
It could mean that two RFC have been cross-connected, so instead of circuit 1 ends A and B going to MCB1 and circuit 2 ends A and B going to MCB2 you have 1A and 2A on MCB1 and 1B and 2B on MCB2.

It is quite dangerous as you now have 64A of total current before they trip on cable designed for a 32A circuit so a cable fault could result in serious damage or even a fire.

Less obvious is someone switches one MCB off to isolate the sockets and discovers in a careless way they are still live from MCB2. Careless in the sense they did not follow a proper safe isolation procedure to actually check the accessory they are working on really is dead.

The fact it has been verified as a figure of eight means it doesn't need investigating (FI) it is what it is. A ring final circuit is as it says a ring or a circle a figure of eight is as it says an eight, just imagine them. Is it dangerous, no providing the connections are sound it is just non conventional but does indicate the circuit has undergone non compliant alterations.
OK if it really is just a loop connected to a 2nd loop, less of a concern than cross-linked RFCs.

No, you would need to ask the electrician who did the inspection for some detail on that.

Given they have said circuit 6 presumably it is a single MCB involved so closer to @westward10 comment.
I get the feeling I'm being a bit ripped off, particularly as I think they were lining me up to buy a new CU. What would I be able to go back with so I sound a bit more clued up?

It is still not good for several reasons, one is you can't perform the usual RFC end-end checks and get all/most sockets connections verified that way.

Other point is unless you know where the loops touch you could end up with a lot more of the current on one leg of the circuit so potentially overloading the cable as the RFC typically uses 2.5mm cable rated at 20A (or so, depending on the installation method) but protected by 30A fuse or 32A MCB on the assumption of moderately sane load distribution.

Fixing the circuit is best answer, but if in doubt dropping the MCB to 20A at least removes the risk of cable overload.

It is still not good for several reasons, one is you can't perform the usual RFC end-end checks and get all/most sockets connections verified that way.

Other point is unless you know where the loops touch you could end up with a lot more of the current on one leg of the circuit so potentially overloading the cable as the RFC typically uses 2.5mm cable rated at 20A (or so, depending on the installation method) but protected by 30A fuse or 32A MCB on the assumption of moderately sane load distribution.

Fixing the circuit is best answer, but if in doubt dropping the MCB to 20A at least removes the risk of cable overload.
I guess that would cause the circuit to trip out more than usual?

Reply to C2 issues? Consumer Unit & Circuit forms a Figure of 8 Rather than a complete RFC? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net