Discuss Cable Reels PAT results in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can I ask is there separate regs regarding cable reels. Have a 25m new reel which Meggar 100 will not pass. 0.5 ohms. Max 0.19. Any help be appreciated.

Jonny

Your tester is failing because the earth bond reading is outside of it's set parameters, common sense needs to be applied. You need to take the cable size and calculate what the earth bond should be (ISITEE has suggested resistances) and either adjust the tester's limits or as I said use common sense.

Your tester is failing because the earth bond reading is outside of it's set parameters, common sense needs to be applied. You need to take the cable size and calculate what the earth bond should be (ISITEE has suggested resistances) and either adjust the tester's limits or as I said use common sense.
Ok yes thankyou. I will check resistance for size of cable ( think its 2mm copper stranded) and do a bit of maths. I was unsure if reels were confined to certain lengths because of this but 25m is not overly long.

I'm not sure if you can alter the test parameters on the 100. You can on the higher models.

Can I ask is there separate regs regarding cable reels. Have a 25m new reel which Meggar 100 will not pass. 0.5 ohms. Max 0.19. Any help be appreciated.
Worth having a look at this thread on the same topic, especially the latter part, which includes a table of cable resistances, and references to the code of practice at that time. This poster had 0.5 ohm too!

Worth having a look at this thread on the same topic, especially the latter part, which includes a table of cable resistances, and references to the code of practice at that time. This poster had 0.5 ohm too!
Avo that is brilliant. I have completed the C&G cert and have electrical/electronic background but was just stumped on what to do about a reel. Makes sense now. First PAT job too.
Jonny

I take it you have the current (5th edition) code of practice for ISITEE (PAT testing)? I'm pretty sure it covers this.

The 5th edition does cover this, P75, where Section 10.10 gives the parameters and recommendations for use of plug-in RCD on longer extension cables not already fitted with such.
Table 10.3 gives maximum lengths of extension leads without RCD as
1.25 12m
1.5 15m

Reply to Cable Reels PAT results in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net