Discuss Can anyone identify this DNO head? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dunclane

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

We've just moved into a new house which was built circa 1950's, do we need to contact Western Power about the incoming main?

Meter Photo.jpg

Main Earth Terminal. I don't actually see a problem with the MET, I like the link to disconnect the bonding for Ze testing.
Cut-Out is just another name for a service head.
I'd contact your DNO - the service head and method of attaching the TNS main earthing conductor are worthy of a DNO visit in my opinion. The earth clamp was certainly not installed by the supplier.

The cut out fuse will be inside the cast iron cover, dont even think about trying to access it.
MET = main Earth Terminal. The thing on the top left of the board. The cable connected to the Wesern power cable has not been properly connected to the cable, nothing to worry about, just get wesern power to sort it out.

Has that board fell off the wall? Or been moved down to allow for a new consumer unit?

So I raised this with Western Power and got a phone call from someone who said it wasn't an electricians place to tell them if their equipment needed changing and it was possible the house was provided without an earth and if we wanted one it would be £160.00.

I’d pursue two topics, but play dumb.
1 - you could stick fingers in the top
2 - (if this is the case) it isn’t well secured and is virtually on the floor
They are right that anyone could have added that connection. And they are right that it’s their call.
But I have a feeling that once you get past the admin department and someone is looking at it things will turn out well, without you paying a penny.

Looking at that cutout, there is a possibility that it has a fused neutral.
Ring WPD back up and tell them you want a safety check because you are worried.

What is the thing poking out from under the skirting board on the right? Thought it was a pipe at first but not sure.

Also it looks like thin red wire not far from it on the floor is it just an offcut?

What is the thing poking out from under the skirting board on the right? Thought it was a pipe at first but not sure.

Also it looks like thin red wire not far from it on the floor is it just an offcut?
Looks like a pipe to me could be gas and redundant hopefully.

Looking at that cutout, there is a possibility that it has a fused neutral.
Ring WPD back up and tell them you want a safety check because you are worried.
I wondered the same.
The thing is to not try and tell them their job, but say you've had advice there are some safety concerns.

So I raised this with Western Power and got a phone call from someone who said it wasn't an electricians place to tell them if their equipment needed changing and it was possible the house was provided without an earth and if we wanted one it would be £160.00.
Sounds like they are looking for a contribution to fix a problem that is theirs to fix. The 2 DNO's I regularly speak to would have more than likely had that on a 2 hour response once the condition of the earth is mentioned and not made some feeble comment to try and extract £160

UPDATE

Our electrician has filled out the EV installation form and today I got an email from Western Power saying they need to make an appointment to upgrade fuse from 60 to 80amp.

I rang the lady (who was extremely helpful) and emailed the photo above and she thinks more than likely it will require a new cut-out. She's arranged a site visit for the 30th March and provisional new cut-out for the 14th April.

Now in peoples experience do you think any digging up of my drive will need to take place for a new cut-out? We are due to have a new tarmac drive laid on the 26th!!

Reply to Can anyone identify this DNO head? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net