Discuss Can I DIY replace axial extractor fan with inline one in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

diyer1

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, first time posting DIY-er so apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I need to replace my ceiling axial bathroom extractor fan with an inline fan in the loft - taking off the old fan and ducting (smells bad due to condensation), putting a new grill in the bathroom, and some new ducting and the fan in the loft.

So, if I can use the same wires that go to the existing fan, and I connect them to the new inline fan in the loft, is this something I'm allowed to do myself or does it qualify as "altering existing wiring", therefore requiring a certified sparky? So, no changes in the wiring, just connecting the same wiring to a new fan which is not the same as the old fan. Everywhere online says that like-for-like is OK for DIY, while a complete new installation is not, but mine is neither like-for-like nor a full installation (wires are already there).

Thanks!

if you are competent to do it, then I can't see a problem. safe isolation,bearing in mind that the fan probably has a live supply even when the light is off. take a photo of the connectiond before stripping out. stay safe.

Hi, first time posting DIY-er so apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I need to replace my ceiling axial bathroom extractor fan with an inline fan in the loft - taking off the old fan and ducting (smells bad due to condensation), putting a new grill in the bathroom, and some new ducting and the fan in the loft.

So, if I can use the same wires that go to the existing fan, and I connect them to the new inline fan in the loft, is this something I'm allowed to do myself or does it qualify as "altering existing wiring", therefore requiring a certified sparky? So, no changes in the wiring, just connecting the same wiring to a new fan which is not the same as the old fan. Everywhere online says that like-for-like is OK for DIY, while a complete new installation is not, but mine is neither like-for-like nor a full installation (wires are already there).

Thanks!
You can indeed do this yourself , if you take the necessary precautions and are confident of doing it . Firstly ascertain which circuit it is on , should be on the upstairs lighting circuit . Then either remove fuse or C/B for that circuit . Identify the wires . Should be L , Sw live and N and make a note of which colour goes to which terminal . You should prove it is off with a test meter for safety reasons . This is for a timer fan , a non timer fan will be just Sw live and N . If you have a loft light wired in with the upstairs lighting you will need a torch as the upstairs lighting is switched off .

be aware that your existing fan may be extra low voltage.... ie 12v. In which case there will be a transformer somewhere.

A new inline fan will most likely be 230v.... as it will be situated outside the bathroom (above the ceiling)

You can get inline fans in a kit which includes an interior grill and all the flexiducting you might need

You can indeed do this yourself , if you take the necessary precautions and are confident of doing it . Firstly ascertain which circuit it is on , should be on the upstairs lighting circuit . Then either remove fuse or C/B for that circuit . Identify the wires . Should be L , Sw live and N and make a note of which colour goes to which terminal . You should prove it is off with a test meter for safety reasons . This is for a timer fan , a non timer fan will be just Sw live and N . If you have a loft light wired in with the upstairs lighting you will need a torch as the upstairs lighting is switched off .
Thanks for the answer and the advice. I should be OK doing it, but if at any point I realise I am not sure what I'm doing, I will get someone in to do the job.

be aware that your existing fan may be extra low voltage.... ie 12v. In which case there will be a transformer somewhere.

A new inline fan will most likely be 230v.... as it will be situated outside the bathroom (above the ceiling)

You can get inline fans in a kit which includes an interior grill and all the flexiducting you might need
Cheers! I think the existing one is also 230v but will definitely keep this in mind. I'll seek out for such kits and see how the price compares to buying separately.

No one has mentioned an isolator switch for this loft mounted fan. This actually a job I've done myself earlier today, and I fitted a triple pole isolator switch adjacent to the new fan, even though the existing isolator is adjacent to the loft hatch, which is also just outside the bathroom door.
TP isolator also serves as a connection point between the 3&E fixed wiring an the 4C flex into the fan.

Reply to Can I DIY replace axial extractor fan with inline one in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net