Discuss Can I test a new install without being registered. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dacons

Basically as above I am a spark and I have my testing certs but work as a service engineer now my cousin had a new db fitted bit hurt he didn't ask me but the guy has fallen out with his tester so the install needs certification so I offered my services but I'm unsure if I can do it without being registered to a body also if I don't do I need to send the certs anywhere.
Sorry for the dumb questions I drifted away from install along time ago and when I was a worked for a big firm.

you can test and certify it, but you can't notify to BC. personally, i'd test it complete an installation cert. as long as you're happy with the installation. sod notification. nobody polices it.

Last edited:
I don't think he has his 2392 or 2394 (2391) I have a feeling he was a cash in hand guy who has a mate who does cash in hand testing I'm not totally sure also the other thing that worries me is the board is plastic now it was installed end of last year but if it's not been signed of and does that mean it should be held to current regs regard only metal.

notification with 30 days...... ?

Sorry I know im being dumb ive just been out of the loop regarding this for along time.

notification with 30 days...... ?

Sorry I know im being dumb ive just been out of the loop regarding this for along time.

When you do notifiable work, it has to be registered, with your scheme within 30 days or alternatively, notification to LABC BEFORE the work starts.

Either way, notification isn't possible.

He needs to contact LABC and see what they say..........they all seem to have different approaches

I don't think he has his 2392 or 2394 (2391) I have a feeling he was a cash in hand guy who has a mate who does cash in hand testing I'm not totally sure also the other thing that worries me is the board is plastic now it was installed end of last year but if it's not been signed of and does that mean it should be held to current regs regard only metal.

The install was designed before AM3 came in to effect so no problem with it being plastic.

I would be more concerned that it was not tested by the installer. Any electrician should also know how to test competently to ensure the work is safe and compliant. You do not need any qualifications to inspect and test. Also the 2392 is not worth even thinking about.

The 2394 & 2395 has replaced the old 2391 and is seperated in to two courses for initial verification and periodic inspection.

Thre are alot of cowboys out there unfortunately.

Good luck getting this sorted. As telectrix has said, as long as it tests out ok I would not be worried.

:smile:

What if I check it for safty he waits 6-7 months and calls in a firm to do a periodic claims ignorance about install certs , I know it will cost more but thats what you get for a pub deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
your main concern should be ensuring that the installation is safe. ergo, you test it, issue a certificate, then consider whether he wants to pay LABC £300 to have it tested again by a 3rd party, just to get it recorded with an LABC tick box.

ok cool Just so frustrating this could have been avoided if he had spoken to me first.

Something really needs to be done in the industry to stop things like this happening noone would consider having a boiler fitted by a guy who cant sign it of and registering it so why can you do it with electrics.

as a good friend of mine would say... " you can't educate pork". customers on the whole go for the cheapest option and sod the dangers.

Its just generally shock the lack of knowledge about our industry I mean il be the first to hold my hands up and say I dont know something hence this post but most people out there think wee chuck cables in turn it on job done less work and skill then a chippy .
I work for a company a while back and they where pulling away from sub contracted companies to build there own team so on I come thinking im gonna be one of a few sparks because thats what they said, day one I asked who they where registered with puzzled look was received so I explained NIC and the others to them they then looked it up and decided to give that a miss for a few months because membership was expensive ,I was then sent to help a guy out on a site for a couple days it turned out he was a 3rd year apprentice who was doing the job alone, the company had no electrical design engineers and they did manor houses hotels and other commercial properties so a guy would come onto site say sockets there there and there no proper designs where done no proper specs where done for the CU,s they where doing it like it was a one man band doing small housing rewires.
Needless to say I was there a week.

I know I tell people to check me up
Show my qualifications that I know could be faked
Insurance As well

But I'm no business person, people want to haggle after the job is done

Plastic cu was UK for last year. Always check people out the net had a lot of information

Reply to Can I test a new install without being registered. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net