Discuss can two 6mm csa cables each with 30A mcb in joined at 50A dps to supply 9.5kW shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: can two 6mm csa cables each with 30A mcb in joined at 50A dps to supply 9.5kW sh

Thanks to you who have replied genuinely to my question, without feeling the need to result to sarcasm. No I am not a qualified electrician and never claimed to be but I am both a physics graduate and electronics engineer. I never doubted that regs would not allow this to be done, though from an electrical theory perspective it is perfectly feasible, Its a shame very few replies seemed to go beyond 'you cant do it as it breaks the regs' and considered the theoretical reasons why...of which there are few.
Thanks again
Nobody went into it because its such a stupid dangerous thing to do, get a sparks in.

Re: can two 6mm csa cables each with 30A mcb in joined at 50A dps to supply 9.5kW sh

Figured as much. You need a physics nerd website my son. One where your theories can be appreciated and discussed out with the confines of the regulations and common sense which shackle us mere mortal sparks

Also further to ''amlu's'' post #39 There are very strict requirements for ''Parallel'' supply wiring, among others, one very important requirement, being that Both cables must be of exactly the same length and follow the same route. I doubt very much if this will be the case in your situation from what you have told us.

And no you're thoughts on a dual supply from 2 separate OCPD is not perfectly feasible from a theory perspective. Until you know the theory behind the design of a circuit, it's advisable you don't make speculative claims that can't be substantiated!! ....So Again, DONT DO IT!!!

I knew if i waited long enough,retribution for my unacceptable 1979 excuse for not returning my physics homework,would be forthcoming...take that teacher...on a lighter note,just because a method is a possibility,does not mean there are not other reasons why it should not be attempted. These reasons are sometimes practical,and sometimes dictated by regulation,now and again it is both. Imagine if someone posted on a serious driving forum,if it was possible to drive around all day long,and just use the handbrake to stop the vehicle. You could,with care,do this,but is this sensible? Now off you go...DON'T RUN IN THE CORRIDOR!:goofy:

I think you need to spell out your reasons for NOT doing this somewhat better. In power transmission this is normal practice! You ARE allowed to deviate from BS7671 provided the resultant safety is as good as compliance with BS7671 and you state you have deviated. The generic test docs are not compulsory. As I have said on this forum before, dual supply IS allowed. Every installation with solar panels has this as do auto start standby generators etc.
having said all that, I agree with all the statements that it is poor practice etc and certainly would not pass as a standard circuit.

What this forum needs is a filter to automatically chuck all posters like this into the Screwflux Forum

Thinking about that, could always put it down as a ring

Nice try lol.. a ring by its nature has to have more than 1 point otherwise its parallel cabling ;) disregarding the 2 mcb crap.

Thanks to you who have replied genuinely to my question, without feeling the need to result to sarcasm. No I am not a qualified electrician and never claimed to be but I am both a physics graduate and electronics engineer. I never doubted that regs would not allow this to be done, though from an electrical theory perspective it is perfectly feasible, Its a shame very few replies seemed to go beyond 'you cant do it as it breaks the regs' and considered the theoretical reasons why...of which there are few.
Thanks again

The "regs" are in place for a reason and part of that reason is to keep idiots safe from themselves.

You're very welcome to the advice.

Take care, goodnight and may your dog go with you.

If the OP used a DP linked device it is plausible although not the norm in domestic ...

So to the regulars ...ill put a revamped version of the OP's question up... 2 x 6mm T&E short run clipped direct to a 10.5KW shower fed from a DP 25 amp mcb - trip interlocked - would it comply?

For arguments sake cable calcs all comply.

Last edited:

Thanks again

Its not just that it is against regs.

If someone gets a shock in your house you will get reamed and go away for a long time.

If there is a fire I hope you can salvage some clothed because your insurance wont pay out

If the OP used a DP linked device it is plausible although not the norm in domestic ...

So to the regulars ...ill put a revamped version of the OP's question up... 2 x 6mm T&E short run clipped direct to a 10.5KW shower fed from a DP 25 amp mcb - trip interlocked - would it comply?

For arguments sake cable calcs all comply.

Not on that setup,as the OCPD would still be effectively SP, If I am following you correctly ? or two OCPD in parallel.

Edit: or did you mean 25A in total ?

Edit ii) Asuming you mean a true DP trip at 25A each, then Ha! I was wrong, reg 434.4 for fault protection only (conductors in parallel), but this comes with caveats that may not be suitable in domestic.

I don't think I have seen linked MCB's used in this way before (ACBs yes).

There are two types of DP MCBs that I am aware of, type one has two trip elements with linked trips and operating switch, used on two phase equipment, the other has a single trip element with the other pole being just a switch disconnector (linked as before), this type usually has one pole (the switch disconnector part) marked N for connection to the Neutral only.

I had to look it up though! it's late lol

Last edited:

Not on that setup,as the OCPD would still be effectively SP, If I am following you correctly ? or two OCPD in parallel.

Edit: or did you mean 25A in total ?

Not exactly sure what you mean ?

DP means 25A each Still single pole but each live conductors into each pole, so by definition, are still dual circuits even if operation of one pole affects/trips the other...

So effectively a 50A breaker with a || Line in each pole?

Edit ii) Asuming you mean a true DP trip at 25A each, then Ha! I was wrong, reg 434.4 for fault protection only (conductors in parallel), but this comes with caveats that may not be suitable in domestic.

I don't think I have seen linked MCB's used in this way before (ACBs yes).

There are two types of DP MCBs that I am aware of, type one has two trip elements with linked trips and operating switch, used on two phase equipment, the other has a single trip element with the other pole being just a switch disconnector (linked as before), this type usually has one pole (the switch disconnector part) marked N for connection to the Neutral only.

I had to look it up though! it's late lol

Yes I realised after, it is getting late lol, about time I was in bed.

I am sure DW eats the regs for breakfast lol

Reg 433.4 also mentions a single device for overload protection (conductors in parallel ), I suppose it is how you define a single device

Last edited:

Reply to can two 6mm csa cables each with 30A mcb in joined at 50A dps to supply 9.5kW shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net