Discuss Can you suggest a new category? in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
Take a quick look through the forum, and see if you can think of a new category. If you can't, then that's okay, but if you think we're lacking in a certain area, then please do let us know.

Thanks for your help.

Take a quick look through the forum, and see if you can think of a new category. If you can't, then that's okay, but if you think we're lacking in a certain area, then please do let us know.

Thanks for your help.
What about past exam papers.I know you can see them in the sparky pub,but a lot of people don't have access.I did ask Lenny about this before,but it had something to do with copyright.Is that still the same case now.

Hi Dan,

a new thread could be:

"Tips and advice for 3 phase supply in temporary installations in the entertainment industry".

This would be useful for me and hopefully others.

Tips like : when there is a stage set up with a 3 phase dimmer it's important for H & S to keep the theatre lights o the 3 different phases physically far from each other as the potential difference between phases is 380V.

Also, if the sound equipment is plugged into the same phase as a lighting rig then when the lighting operator dims the lights there is a big hum on the PA sound system.

Cheers,

Colin

Hi Dan.

Something linked with working offshore would be helpful. I'm currently working out in Iraq on a military base in Baghdad. Long term though, I'm hoping to break into the oil & gas sector. I've got my Compex, my Bosiet etc. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience which I'm not going to get unless I'm given a start - it's frustrating!
The only thing I can think of is lying on my CV. I joined this site in the hope of getting in contact with somebody working offshore or to get information off other electricians who have been in the same boat.
Great site, good idea..thanks!

Mikey

Thanks for your help.
yeah' here's one
PASS THE BUCK .
iF YOU CAN'T HELP ,READ IT AND POST WHO YOU ARE AND PAST THE BUCK .

Hi. My first leccy post, im still in training for this (40 yrs old and fed up with engineering).

Regarding new topics, how about an "How i got started, first job etc ... might help steer new folk in the right direction. :confused:

Also, got this from trucknet HGV forum. Avery popular one is the ex-pat (not testing) forum for all people overseas or wishing to move or work long term abroad. I should imagine a fair few people are considering it now more than any other time.

cheers.
:)

How about a tips section for fellow sparkys, kinda like the things you pick up whilst working with other people.

Handy ways to fish down a cavity wall or tools to use for this job that others may not have given a thought to?

How to do brushes and where to get parts to refurbish your own 36v bosch for example and obviously many more.

How about a costing page ie,
Let people know what a average charge would be. say price to install metal conduit per meter ,costing for a two wire fire alarm (per head) .. ect

As a newcomer into the forum and also finding my way back into this trade after a 15year layoff, I would like to see two sections to help with:-
1, Advice on how to pass exams eg: 2392/2391. This could be in the form of past exam papers and discussion from past students on areas to concentrate on.
2, Processes most commonly used by Electricians? eg: Works & Inspection Certificate Processes and the one very relevant to me at the moment - How to convince the NICEIC or NAP Inspector that you are worthy of a Part P registration number!

How about a costing page ie,
Let people know what a average charge would be. say price to install metal conduit per meter ,costing for a two wire fire alarm (per head) .. ect

That deffinatly, im always getting in a right mess working out what to charge and whether im being competetive or going in to cheap.

And your point is.......?
The point is ?As well as some forums are helpful !there only as good as the input from its members who genuinely give or need advice so when you get more than 40 veiws with no input it makes you think who is actually reading them ?so anyone with no comments over say 40 views gets highlighted in a category which i have mentioned.

Reply to Can you suggest a new category? in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net