Discuss Can you suggest a new category? in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Take a quick look through the forum, and see if you can think of a new category. If you can't, then that's okay, but if you think we're lacking in a certain area, then please do let us know.

Thanks for your help.
Hi Dan
How about possible jobs in different areas i am finding it difficult in finding one due to me only just passing my 17th edition

My field is temporary installation of three phase electric submersible pumps within the construction/utilities sector. A grey area here is post installation testing, ie what is required. A typical installation might be five pumps ranging between 2kw upto 180kw, running on VSD's via a customers mains supply with a genny standby, thru main distribution board and Auto mains fail panel, with ultrasonic level control.
This may be a week hire or a year hire, either way I instruct my engineers to do a full test on each separate circuit including insulation resistance of distribution and final circuit, earth continuity, Zs, PFC, RCD. This way we can walk away knowing our installation is sound in what can be a very harsh environment. However, some customers think what we do is excessive obviously because they're paying for it. Any comments?l

Out of all the ones already posted, I like the sound of home automation which could also encompass BMS and general controls stuff like PLC's etc
and i also like the idea of one for Low energy and LED's etc which could also include Micro-generation and solar energy etc
Having said that, I think the site is great already and the general way most regulars use it is probably the same as me where you will simply come on and push the 'new posts' button and it doesn't really matter where they are categorised you will see them, it's mainly more use for the casual or new user who is looking for something more precise.
Keep up the good work Dan.

also if you aren't sponsored then may I suggest that you put a link where w can all see it, so we may sponsor you for your work as it should be rewarded mate, dont be shy, i'm sure someone will second me on this.

Not sure if there is one already but I know the European Union is changing Lighting requirements such as Banning Standard GLS lamps. Our own Building Regs require an amount of Energy efficient lighting per instalation and LED is moving apace with the likes of Philips investing $1.35bn last year. maybe this would be a good topic as new products and requirements seem to be changing almost daily. Say 'Future lighting - Now'

Hi
i definately think that some sub headings would be a good way around the site what categories is for discussion
it is a minefield to find info.
as a relative new comer to the trade i will let more experienced people suggest the categories.

Expat , Working overseas

Something on working over seas would be very interesting to me! Rates of pay, where to apply, other courses that could help, any info would be great. Good Idea Mikey72 and Paulwalldall.
I found monster.co.uk had some electrical jobs abroad. But searching for 'electrician' doesn't always bring up the full results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Colin Leppington idea.
Electricity in the entertainment sector, tempory instaltions etc and the health and safety regs that go with this, there are a lot of dodgy electrics in pubs and clubs and its a grey area.
Thanks

Thanks to everybody who has replied. I'll thank you all with the thanks button as soon as I've replied to you all.

Hi Dan,
I think you should have more on for selling electrical gear :confused:

We're in talks with a few electrical distributors and wholesalers. Though we don't want to rush anything and get the wrong firm. As soon as we do have one, they often bring with them a few discounts and the likes, so I'm sure these will too. Though untill then, if you know of a good supplier, please feel free to post info in the Arms to let the other members know.

A section for buying vans etc and may be insurance as well.

We're getting a Van Leasing sponsor on all our forums, so we were thinking of doing something commercial van-wise. Though to be honest, we might end up with a whole new forum for it, so I didn't want to start 4 forums off with 4 new van related info in it and have everything 4 times, just seems to make more sense to have an informative website, with perhaps a small Q&A forum for those than want to chat about it. Though if you do think you want to discuss something like that with our existing members, please feel free to start a thread off in the Pub, or in the General Chat section for now and I'm sure you'll get a good response.

Hi Dan.

Something linked with working offshore would be helpful. I'm currently working out in Iraq on a military base in Baghdad. Long term though, I'm hoping to break into the oil & gas sector. I've got my Compex, my Bosiet etc. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience which I'm not going to get unless I'm given a start - it's frustrating!
The only thing I can think of is lying on my CV. I joined this site in the hope of getting in contact with somebody working offshore or to get information off other electricians who have been in the same boat.
Great site, good idea..thanks!

Mikey

Mikey, it's funny you should say that, we have quite a few of the tilers talking about how to get into Australia, and we used to have a sponsor who helped with getting the 'points' high enough, or something along those lines. Though once the few had their info, there never seemed to be many more chatting about it. Perhaps now though there would be more chat? Food for thought that is. Perhaps post something in the general chat about that and if we get enough interest, we'll make it a forum?

yeah' here's one
PASS THE BUCK .
iF YOU CAN'T HELP ,READ IT AND POST WHO YOU ARE AND PAST THE BUCK .

I didn't understand this one, it has to be said.

recommend a good dvd category

As in a DVD to watch? That's what the General Chat is for mate, post a topic in there, you could even do a monthly topic about it "What are your DVD's for this month?" type thing?

Hi. My first leccy post, im still in training for this (40 yrs old and fed up with engineering).

Regarding new topics, how about an "How i got started, first job etc ... might help steer new folk in the right direction. :confused:

Also, got this from trucknet HGV forum. Avery popular one is the ex-pat (not testing) forum for all people overseas or wishing to move or work long term abroad. I should imagine a fair few people are considering it now more than any other time.

cheers.
:)

Perhaps you're right there. Though should anybody want to post something like that, they can in the main electrical forum, and just title it well to attract the right readers perhaps? Feel free to post a "how did you get into it then?" thread in the electrical forum. Oh and well done for posting!

As for the overseas thing, see the response above. Thanks for that.

How about a costing page ie,
Let people know what a average charge would be. say price to install metal conduit per meter ,costing for a two wire fire alarm (per head) .. ect

Generally we'll be trying to use the Pub area for pricing related information, we're just collating info on the members and adding them to it though for the time being. We only want regular trusted sparkies in there.

How about
Design

Eeeeerm, perhaps it's due to me not being a sparky but you'd need to allaborate on that a bit for me to understand what 'design' actually means. Do you mean wiring diagrams and the likes? Or graphics design? or what?

As a newcomer into the forum and also finding my way back into this trade after a 15year layoff, I would like to see two sections to help with:-
1, Advice on how to pass exams eg: 2392/2391. This could be in the form of past exam papers and discussion from past students on areas to concentrate on.
2, Processes most commonly used by Electricians? eg: Works & Inspection Certificate Processes and the one very relevant to me at the moment - How to convince the NICEIC or NAP Inspector that you are worthy of a Part P registration number!

Again, that sort of stuff would be found in the Pub area I think.

It would be nice to see section headings of domestic, commercial and industrial for related questions

I can do that with thread prefixes perhaps. So you'd choose one of those three categories when a post is created, and each is marked as so in the topic listing pages. I'll get onto that later and run it by you.

That deffinatly, im always getting in a right mess working out what to charge and whether im being competetive or going in to cheap.

The pub, again mate.

The point is ?As well as some forums are helpful !there only as good as the input from its members who genuinely give or need advice so when you get more than 40 veiws with no input it makes you think who is actually reading them ?so anyone with no comments over say 40 views gets highlighted in a category which i have mentioned.

I hear what you're saying. Perhaps we need more technical advisors, or guys marked as being trusted for good advice, and give them the role of asnwering those types of threads?

Last edited:
My field is temporary installation of three phase electric submersible pumps within the construction/utilities sector. A grey area here is post installation testing, ie what is required. A typical installation might be five pumps ranging between 2kw upto 180kw, running on VSD's via a customers mains supply with a genny standby, thru main distribution board and Auto mains fail panel, with ultrasonic level control.
This may be a week hire or a year hire, either way I instruct my engineers to do a full test on each separate circuit including insulation resistance of distribution and final circuit, earth continuity, Zs, PFC, RCD. This way we can walk away knowing our installation is sound in what can be a very harsh environment. However, some customers think what we do is excessive obviously because they're paying for it. Any comments?l

It appears a few have suggested similar, so I think that's a goer.
Out of all the ones already posted, I like the sound of home automation which could also encompass BMS and general controls stuff like PLC's etc
and i also like the idea of one for Low energy and LED's etc which could also include Micro-generation and solar energy etc
Having said that, I think the site is great already and the general way most regulars use it is probably the same as me where you will simply come on and push the 'new posts' button and it doesn't really matter where they are categorised you will see them, it's mainly more use for the casual or new user who is looking for something more precise.
Keep up the good work Dan.

also if you aren't sponsored then may I suggest that you put a link where w can all see it, so we may sponsor you for your work as it should be rewarded mate, dont be shy, i'm sure someone will second me on this.

Noted. I think you might have come up with a couple of category's there then.

Not sure if there is one already but I know the European Union is changing Lighting requirements such as Banning Standard GLS lamps. Our own Building Regs require an amount of Energy efficient lighting per instalation and LED is moving apace with the likes of Philips investing $1.35bn last year. maybe this would be a good topic as new products and requirements seem to be changing almost daily. Say 'Future lighting - Now'

Sounds good.

Hi
i definately think that some sub headings would be a good way around the site what categories is for discussion
it is a minefield to find info.
as a relative new comer to the trade i will let more experienced people suggest the categories.

If you're searching for a specific thing, you might find using the search feature useful. Though I hear what you're saying. Perhaps I can work with the thread prefixes more in the busier forums to help sub-categorise the threads a bit.

Something on working over seas would be very interesting to me! Rates of pay, where to apply, other courses that could help, any info would be great. Good Idea Mikey72 and Paulwalldall.
I found monster.co.uk had some electrical jobs abroad. But searching for 'electrician' doesn't always bring up the full results.

Working Overseas it sounds like then. :)

I like Colin Leppington idea.
Electricity in the entertainment sector, tempory instaltions etc and the health and safety regs that go with this, there are a lot of dodgy electrics in pubs and clubs and its a grey area.
Thanks

And that's noted also.

Hi Dan
How about possible jobs in different areas i am finding it difficult in finding one due to me only just passing my 17th edition

We have a section on the Tiling Forum that we allow those with job offers, so customers and contractors to post details of their job and then we allow the regulars to reply to that via PM. I think if we did it the other way around it would be a minefield for a customer or contactor to look through and work out who is who and what is what. Perhaps that would suffice?

Last edited:
Hi Dan,i'm sure i posted this earlier.A lot of people on the forum can't gain access to the Sparky Pub,(a)they work for a company(b)they are at college doing their qualifications(c)a lot of people are looking for a change of career and (d)sparks who have been out of the trade for a while and want to get back into it.:confused:

Hi Dan

I am a newcomer and do not know all the categories just yet but here are a few I've thought of

Training and career issues

Self employed Issues

Maintenance Electricians

Exams and college advice

Hi Dan!

How about sorting the problem of City & Guilds qualifications NOT being recognised in Europe (I mean Spain France ect and Not England as England is not fully in Europe!!)

Indeed City & Guilds quals are NOT recognised in most parts of the world!

The 17th edtion being enforced on us all now has been introduced so I've heard to enable european sparky's to work in the UK Right? Well what about UK sparks working in Europe! i.e. Spain France Portugal?

I can tell you now! Cos I live in Spain!

UK sparks don't stand a chance in hell of getting a start with a european company!

Err! Am I just being racist or zenophobic or much worse! Or am I just being a moany old git?????

A great site keep up the good work!

Spanglishsparky

We seem to have lads posting on most Electrical Topics on the site anyway and maybe do need to put some into dedicated sections.
Personally I'd like to see something light hearted and have category dedicated to.

Jokes and Funny Stories :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Philospheer

Do I detect another very unhappy with his lot sparky?

I suspect like most of us sparky's you feel pretty ****ed about the low rate's of pay we recieve for the supposed "HIGHLY SKILLED" job that we do!

I just gave up and moved to Spain! Not for the work as that is very slow over here!! Just for a better quality of life!!!

Sparks in the UK will never be paid what they should be paid until they all demand a higher basic rate!
Not loads of hours!

Regards

Spanglishsparky

Nikola who?

Hello all,

How about some lateral thinking on the topical topic of unity (or nearing) power generation/utilisation?

After all, we are Engineers and the providors of solution/s

Anyone needing a lead should search Mr. N Tesla

Regards
Marcus

Reply to Can you suggest a new category? in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net