Discuss Caravan supply help.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Very interesting. I wasn't aware that such kit was available at that kind of price, or that any attempt at DIY termination was even possible. Bares more than a passing resemblance to the kit used by the Openreach technician when he connected the fibre to property five years ago.
On the other hand, daughter in question has a lot of contacts inside Openreach.

I would be inclined to try and get a pre-assembled LC simplex cable in and use the single fibre media converter that @timhoward found. If a cable connector gets damaged then look at a DIY replacement connector effort.

If she has connections then it might be easy to get help to fix any damage. In recent years/decades I have not seen folks actually put on connectors, they have a bag of "tails" with pre-terminated connectors and a short lead and then use one of the fancy automated fusion splicing machines to join on to the main fibre run.

Except when it comes to getting round corners in containment. That stuff likes to have quite a bit more room where bend radius is concerned.
Most fibre is fine for any normal bend radius, in fact far easier than almost any SWA as a few cm is fine.

What they are not forgiving of is being pulled tight against a hard corner!

Most fibre is fine for any normal bend radius, in fact far easier than almost any SWA as a few cm is fine.

What they are not forgiving of is being pulled tight against a hard corner!

Any fiber I've dealt with needed a much greater bend radius than an equivalent SWA would. A fibre cable of similar OD to CAT6 would comfortably bend on a radius similar to that required by 4mm SWA.

Edit: I've just looked to see what the actual requirements are and it appears as though fiber requires a radius of 10D, which increases to 20D when being pulled under tension.

Any fiber I've dealt with needed a much greater bend radius than an equivalent SWA would. A fibre cable of similar OD to CAT6 would comfortably bend on a radius similar to that required by 4mm SWA.

Edit: I've just looked to see what the actual requirements are and it appears as though fiber requires a radius of 10D, which increases to 20D when being pulled under tension.
I was going to say 10-20 diameter is the figure I remember, and as typically the diameter is around 2-4mm that is not so difficult to meet (other than on a corner, etc).

I was going to say 10-20 diameter is the figure I remember, and as typically the diameter is around 2-4mm that is not so difficult to meet (other than on a corner, etc).

25mm swept bends are fine, but angle boxes, tees etc are not. Unless it's a straight run I wouldn't attempt anything smaller. Of course this may all be irrelevant to the OP's situation.

Reply to Caravan supply help.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net