Discuss Cast Iron Service head in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

straas

Hello there!

After posting somewhere else to gauge a price for relocating electrics (board with old spinny meter, fuse, then service head) I was informed that cast iron service heads are past their best and through searching this forum that they might be replaced for free?

The current set-up is;

Bitumen covered cable
Cast iron head
Fuse
CU
leading back to earth? mounted next to fuse.

The fuse itself is making an audible buzzing sound with very little load (radio, couple of energy saving bulbs)

If the DNO were to replace the head, would they have to lay a new wire from the street? and if so, would they re-position the board without charge by any chance?

I just tell them I think there is a fused neutral in place. They tend to send somebody out who, as a matter of course, renews the supply head. They are unlikely to need to dig up the road unless the cable has shorted before the supply head (which you would already know about).

Highly unlikely they would reposition the head position free of charge, they would only change the head free of any charges. As stated, it isn't normally necessary to replace the service cable!!

They won’t relocate the cut-out for you. Replace yes, other than that, did deep!

Oh dear, might have to have a rethink then.

It's just what I was reading seemed to suggest the DNO don't like to play with the old cable, so put a new joint in at the road.

Thought if that were the case, they might be amenable to siting their equipment outside the house.

Shame I don't know of any after hours DNO workers in Manchester, as the £1500 or w/e charge looks to mean no downstairs wc. Such is life.

In this part of the world (SSE - Hydro Electric area) the DNO will not change a cast iron cut-out live.
They dig up the supply cable close to where it enters your property, cut the old PILC cable to enable safe replacement of the old head then re-joint. If necessary they will replace the last section of cable with a new piece of concentric or split concentric, however this is completely at the discretion of the engineer attending.
Only solution for you is to call your local DNO emergency number - a buzzing cut-out is potentially a fire hazard.
Good luck.

Reply to Cast Iron Service head in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net