Discuss Certificate rejection need to notify a old job in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

real electrical

Hi all

i am new this forum and need a little help on something, i wired an extension on a house whilst working for myself but was not registered with a scheme. I issued an electrical installation certificate to the customer but didnt realise i should of notified the local authority before worked commenced and the result was the building inspector kicked the certificate back and told the homeowner there electrical work was unsafe etc etc. I am now a member of a scheme and have been able to notify all recent jobs within the 30 days but this particular job was completed around 8 month ago. The question i have is all work was done to current regs and if i was to retest the installation and re issue the certificate could i notify the work now or would the local authority still reject that as i cant see how i can get this job signed off?

Any help is really appreciated

Rob

I would have thought that if Building Control were happy with the work they would have just required the fee. So first port of call is Building Control to find out what they say is dangerous if any of that is justified it needs to be rectified. Then you will need to speak to your CPS and see if they will allow you to issue the back dated certificate which I doubt.

Chris

Before I was a club member I had LABC appointed contractors around to inspect a job I had notified. All they did was a cursory look around, a few tests, and issued a PIR. They did not sign off my EIC. So, don't see why it would be any different in this case. Given the amount of dodgey work going on that they don't seem to care enough about to prosecute, I'd be amazed if they would be concerned about a proper spark trying to get a proper job notified in the proper manner, albeit late. I've sub'ed a job to LABC a few weeks late before and never heard anything more about it.

technically you coulod argue that you have just managed to finish tightening the last screw today and therefore today id the finish date of the install :cool:

This is a very valid point.

The job is only complete when you and the customer say so, even if it was 6 months ago and you have been paid.

For all they know, you could have put up a load of fancy fittings FOC for them, hence the reason why its finished so late.

I would try and notify it as normal through your scheme provider.

After all, if there is a problem, they will help you more than LABC will.

If it was an extension,then building control already had notification, the electrical work would come under the planning for the extension approval,and as long as a bs 7671 certificate was issued, its up to them to either accept or reject it
If they reject the certificate, the testing and signing off is their problem
Surely ? :confused:

Hi thanks for your replies and yeah the work was all upto bs7671 it was simply a new lighting circuit and new ring main covering the extension of two bedrooms. I fitted two rcbo's into the existing db i upgraded the bonding as the gas wasn't bonded and the water was in 4mm. I installed interconnected smoke detectors on both floors everything was capped and clipped perfect and i tested issued an EIC i showed copies of my qualifications inc 2391 and my insurance both professional indemnity and public liability. They said because i wasnt a member of a scheme they wouldnt accept and said my work was dangerous because i wasnt with a governing body. The building inspector though is terrible i have since done work and one job the same inspector was involved. There was a bathroom with 6 downlights and a fan, the downlights were all low voltage and ip rated and the fan was in the wall within zone 3, the light switch is outside the room with a fan isolator above the door again on the outside and the fan has a run on timer. The inspector again snagged it and wouldnt sign the house off until i changed the 1 gang light switch for a 4 gang switch. He asked for 2 downlights on each switch and then the fan on the 4th switch so you can have 2, 4 or 6 lights on and the fan on and off when required the bathroom was on the middle floor of a 3 storey house which was finished and tiled and people had moved in. i explained that the installation meets all requirements of bs7671 and it is just his personal belief that this is required and in the end we had to put cables in clipped surface get the house signed off then put it back to how it was. He is a complete nightmare i find myself now putting a switch wire to every light in a room or a fan if he is involved just incase it occurs again.

Like you say thats his opinion I don't know any who puts a switch for every light in I did a kitchen not so long ago with 21 spotlights in so from what he's saying you should have a bank of 21 switches on the wall?

put a complaint in sounds like his own personal ego is bigger than his job role

Thats what it is i think because there isnt so much building work on they create situations to save there jobs giving them more work. There was wround 16 spots in the kitchen on a 2 gang switch and he was fine with that it just seems to be bathrooms and stair ways.

I have to be honest and say if he wanted a four gang switch putting in,I would do so without too much argument about it

That is,on the understanding that he pays for the labour and materials to undertake the task and that he sought permission off the designer or customer to do so as well

If he wasn't prepared to do that,i would first ask him where in the building regulations could he show me,deficiencies in the design or contraventions in the brb to Bs 7671,because I have been studying and practicing electrical installation for X years and communicate with other s in the trade and we know of no such requirements

Then tell him to go away nicely (using alternative words to mine)and go over his head and cut him down a few slices
Pompous ignorant plonker by the sounds of it,but you do seem to comply with his nonesense more than I would

its just a complete nightmare at times with them at the minute am on a house converting it into flats so building control come along with the spec for the sound proofing which means all walls running through the floors require to be studded off and insulated then sound boarded. We get the place 1st fixed and ready then they come back out and change there minds and the walls are now going back 35mm and the downstairs ceilings are being dropped and overboarded so it leaves me with having to drop all the downstairs lights down as they was second fixed because the ceilings were finished. To make the second fix quicker i fitted galv back boxes in the studdings upstairs rather then fitting dry line boxes so they need altering but nobody would pay labour it was just on my own back to sort it so the job wasnt held up. Then othertimes then can be brilliant with jobs and things are done quick and right first time

i have had dealings with building insp more than i care to mention, i always make them feel important and like they know everything which generally works and you dont really see them again until completion although i did have one that told us when we dug out for footings the chalk was the wrong colour:eek::eek: hahahahhahahahahaha just fresh out of uni i suspect:p:p

I think its got to the point were you need to speak to your scheme provider.

You are never going to get anywhere dealing direct with the BCO.

Reply to Certificate rejection need to notify a old job in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net