Currently reading:
Certificate to check earth arrangements.. ?

Discuss Certificate to check earth arrangements.. ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jaxo

The town I live in has been getting old metallic water pipes replaced with plastic, the water board has issued everyone with letters recommending "that you have your electrical earthing arrangements checked as it is possible, particularly for older properties with metallic service pipes that the pipe is used as a means of earthing for some or all of the electrical installation."

What I`m wondering is what way would you check this and what certificate if any would you issue for checking the earthing arrangements.

Would you simply check the supply's earth or electrode and recommend an EICR if its due or would you check the whole earthing arrangements and issue a certificate.. If so Would you use an EICR and state it covers the earthing arrangements only, a minor works or could you even use use own letterheaded letter to say the earthing arrangements has been checked etc.

Obviously the best thing to do would be a periodic on the whole installation, but Ive been getting a few calls about this with people just wanting the "earth checked".. and I`m just wondering what way others would go about this..

Just for you!! or anyone else who wants a fabricated piece of paper!

View attachment 23545

Not for me, i don't need one but handy for others if and when they may need one. I basically fabricate ALL test report sheets and final test certificates for my projects. But nowadays, i basically just use the templates from other project i've worked on and just tweak them as required....

But you're fabricated earthing inspection certificate should be more than ample to fulfill/cover the OP's above situation....

Not for me, i don't need one but handy for others if and when they may need one. I basically fabricate ALL test report sheets and final test certificates for my projects. But nowadays, i basically just use the templates from other project i've worked on and just tweak them as required....

But you're fabricated earthing inspection certificate should be more than ample to fulfill/cover the OP's above situation....

If I was rotten I could read that several ways E54.

With test results I’d just check up on a sample out of a batch. Some used to tickle me, flagged up as “low IR”. A cable X00’s of metres long and they’ve just dabbed the test button for a couple of seconds. Even funnier was the idiot that removed the test leads before the cable discharged, everyone on site must have heard him squeal when he touched the cable.
All the records were on paper then, I was drowning in the stuff.

Important stuff was checked through.

Last time I came across this was with a worried lady in her 80's. I went and tested the Ze before the water board came along and did the same after - the result was the same as it was a TNS.

I didn't charge, nor give any paperwork.

Building up trust for when you tell her she needs a rewire, surge arrest and lightning protection. Like it. :)

Im unsure if its actually needed or not.. filling 8 pages for a earth loop test seems a bit off putting. Basically what Ive thought of doing is a ze test to see if the installation relies on the water pipes for its earth and if changing the pipe is going to effect their current arrangement, check bonding and advice on any probs and recommend a full eicr.. would this be enough though
Issue just the EICR(only 2 pages) without the usual schedules of inspection and test results.
Detail the extent covered in section D so there is no confusion

Reply to Certificate to check earth arrangements.. ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock