Discuss Certifying other peoples work. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sav

Morning everyone,

Hope you are all well.

just a quick question. I've been asked to issue a domestic electrical installation certificate for a rewire at a property. That's fine, as I now understand that we can issue a certificate based on testing only.
The thing is, I still believe that we have a duty of care even when the install is not carried out by ourselves.
E.g no IP rated lights in bathroom, no fire rated down lights anywhere in the house, connector blocks used and exposed, no smoke alarms, no continuous earthing in lighting, to name but a few problems !

I've told the builder that I cannot issue a certificate based on this kind of poor installation, he says that it's non of my business how it's rewired or installed , I'm only issuing the certificate !!
I am doing the right thing ? I don't think that even though we are issuing a certificate based on a new install, we should ignore potential hazards or poor workmanship.

Thanks and regards,

Sav

Tell the builder to do one he is pulling a fast one you cannot issue an EIC for someone else's work, the best you can do is a EICR and in all honesty if the builder spoke to me like that on 1st meeting I would walk from job it smells fishy, full stop

Further to my last post, be very careful here because if the builder really said the things you say then I can see you having serious problems getting paid. Tell him you will perform an EICR and will supply certs on payment received then quote for remedials and get money up front.
or revert to my original thought and tell him to do one.

Agree with the above from GMES, if you have been asked for an electrical installation certificate then walk away, as you cannot legally do this; if you have been asked for an electrical installation condition report then do the report, sign it off as unsatisfactory and get paid before you hand it over.
Only on the EICR is it not your responsibility about how it was installed, only on how you report the safety of the installation.

Morning everyone,

Hope you are all well.

just a quick question. I've been asked to issue a domestic electrical installation certificate for a rewire at a property. That's fine, as I now understand that we can issue a certificate based on testing only.
The thing is, I still believe that we have a duty of care even when the install is not carried out by ourselves.
E.g no IP rated lights in bathroom, no fire rated down lights anywhere in the house, connector blocks used and exposed, no smoke alarms, no continuous earthing in lighting, to name but a few problems !

I've told the builder that I cannot issue a certificate based on this kind of poor installation, he says that it's non of my business how it's rewired or installed , I'm only issuing the certificate !!
I am doing the right thing ? I don't think that even though we are issuing a certificate based on a new install, we should ignore potential hazards or poor workmanship.

Thanks and regards,

Sav

In which case walk away. You have no other option if you want to remain a decent Sparky

...tbh, im only a trainee as most of you know, but when im qualified enough to be issuing certs, if a builder spoke to me like that, he would become part of his own (probably shoddy based on his approach to sparky work) foundation,......

tell him to go insert a pitchfork into his poopshoot!

theres a strong smell of fish involved with this builder!!!!......

all been said. except the fact that if you were to complete an EIC, you would be taking responsibility for his shoddy work and any comebacks would land YOU in court, not the builder. tell him to go forth and multiply.

Don't take any crud like that from any builder or potential customer. Sounds like you have already inspected this installation? If so, issue a EICR (after money has changed hands) listing all the non compliances you have found. If he doesn't like it, inform him that as you didn't have anything to do with the design and installation side of things, you're not legally permitted to undertake or issue a EIC as a third party. If he tries to stitch you up, Inform the LABC, providing a copy of the EICR you performed.

whats the thought here then,....hes done the wireing himself to save £$£$£ or got in a "mate from the pub,

"coz its only 3 wires ennit",...and now needs it signing off ???

git!,....and probably due for a manslaughter charge in the future

double git!

Morning everyone,

Hope you are all well.

Thanks and regards,

Sav

Post 8 (Eng54) is good advice...
Remember to make sure, if you do the EICR, that you are accurate/correct in all your noted deviations (e.g. this?)

says that it's non of my business how it's rewired or installed , I'm only issuing the certificate !!

you would be making it your business by issuing a cert. and as i said before, your arse in a sling when someone is injured.

Post 8 (Eng54) is good advice...
Remember to make sure, if you do the EICR, that you are accurate/correct in all your noted deviations (e.g. this?)

Ah, yes, that old chestnut.

But the OP - ask yourself this simple question: Is this the kind of business that you really need?! I'd have given the builder a good talking to and left, personally.

Ah, yes, that old chestnut.

But the OP - ask yourself this simple question: Is this the kind of business that you really need?! I'd have given the builder a good talking to and left, personally.

Thank you all for your positive responses.
I actually did tell him he is a 2 bob, packed my tester and walked away. I also wrote a formal letter to the home owner advising them of the faults I uncovered.
I'll let you know the response from the home owner.
Thanks once again.

Sav

Thank you all for your positive responses.
I actually did tell him he is a 2 bob, packed my tester and walked away. I also wrote a formal letter to the home owner advising them of the faults I uncovered.
I'll let you know the response from the home owner.

Thanks once again.

Sav

Good man. like your approach!

Morning everyone,

Hope you are all well.

Thanks and regards,

Sav
none of his business either....installin that is...if he cant apply BS7671 to what he does....

Theres nowt like scummy F-ing builders eh ...

I have been seeing a few builders vans around with all the logos on like Nic , Gas safe , Chas and all the rest , It seems that they agree with whoever does their work as a subby like that they can put their logos on their van , whilst the builder has no quals at all ,, Scum eh

Reply to Certifying other peoples work. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net