Discuss Change of career at 50. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Good grief, went back on tools 8 years ago at 48.......been behind a desk for 25 years..... as i work for myself i just cruise and dont make mistakes i have to go back a do again, saves alot of time.
I have also worked with a guy in his 60s, does industrial installs, he is as fit as a fiddle and works up mountains for fun. 50 is still prime time...lol

Hi Guys, Thanks for your input i never expected such a vast response. I appreciate your time.
I don't intend to be a "domestic installer" each and ever day.
My question was "how should get more experience and a portfolio for the ECB". Was volunteering my time a stupid idea.
Redundancy has forced my hand and I want to maximise the qualification I have going forward.

I’m currently moving jobs and putting together work for my NIC inspection on Sep 18. I’m just doing jobs for free, done a few free EICRs, a couple of free board changes and some new circuits in a commercial unit office.

Best way would be to get a year at least Experiance with another contractor in my opinion.

Desk jobs are for youngsters. If you get past 50 sitting down all day and spending 9 hours on a computer you are probably heading for the scrapheap fast. We aren't built for that.

Reply to Change of career at 50. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I'm Zoë, 34, female, no university, based in Liverpool, U.K. I've worked as a medical laboratory assistant in the NHS for 14 years full time...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm early 30s and had enough of working in project management and am considering options to change career. Friends in the trades rave about...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, just joined the forum. I’m a qualified (on paper) electrician incl inspection and testing, but electrics is not my primary skill or...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just joined the forum to read up about peoples experiences of changing career at later life. I'm 47 and have been working on the rigs for...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, My name is Sulaiman a mildly successful Sponsorship Sales person in my current life. I love cars, always have always will. I...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock