Discuss charge for using company van at work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Funny enough a company I worked for tried this with me/us when the tax law came in. I/we said fine we will not drive company vehicles and you can pay us all millage instead OR we will pick the van up a 8.00am and drop it back at the depot at 5pm (Instead of being at site for 8.am and leaving site at 5pm).....unlike in your example we "won" and the company found a way round the tax issue.
They also tried to implement a rule where if the van was damaged the driver would get the excess deducted from his wages.....same result the lads stuck together and declined to use company vehicles same as above....so as above it was in the companies interest to back down....we are talking about just using the vans for work though as we were not authorized to ever use the vans for personal use.
Yes I know what you mean,a large media company,sexually inexperienced that I worked for said we couldn't use the vans for personal use as they were only insured for driving between 7.30 am and 5.30 pm we worked 8 till 5 so that gave us half hour each way traveling,fine until I pointed out that some of us worked 'till 9 when on call.they couldn't answer that one lol

Sounds like a right ramshackle of a company to me anyway, you cant be forced to sign it and im pretty confident you couldnt be sacked for not signing it, if it was compulsory they wouldnt get you you to sign anything they would just take it out, they need your permission and your not breaking the law by saying no

However of course they could start making your working life hell

I never see why firms start upsetting the lads, THEY always lose out, morale drops and lads start going slower, longer dinners, standing around, the man hours lost far outweighs any money they think they are saving

Hard one, but good luck with it oh and remember NOBODY is indispensable

Last edited by a moderator:
They did this to me on my last firm but the van was already falling to bits and was a lump of rust, i refused to sign anything, i did eventually sign but thats because they bought me a brand new van. To be fair i always got my money back at the end of the year no problems!!

All I would say is I need more overtime to cover the costs, or maybe a pay rise, as my bills are limiting me signing up, but if the time comes to pay a fee, when i crash the van etc, then ill be happy to pay, maybe £20 a month...till it payed (this is a true comment).

Here is the form they want us to sign. thanks for all the replies gents
10169185_10203099030972825_1217626471_n.jpg

Will they still take the money during time off and holidays ? I would sign it and just book an extra half hours overtime to cover it and the interest.

The money is stated as nett therefor costs you more than £10.
The form states that they can take more off you at the end of the year if required.
You are to keep the van clean, how much do you get paid for washing a vehicle that is not your own?
I wouldnt sign their form and wait for their response.

Back in 2007 I had a van and was working as a foreman. Right from the interview it was stated that I could use the van personally. Everything was fine from 1999 till 2007 when they put trackers in the vans inc the foreman's. Then we were given a form to sign that stated we would not use the van privately and they would be watching via the tracker and would tell the HMRC if we did, therefor changing our tax code. (benefits form p11d)
I dropped the van off at the office 60 miles away late one evening and launched the keys through the letterbox. Weeks later I Found another job and left with virtually no notice.

This sort of ---- always leaves a bad taste.

Boydy

If they want to go down that route.

Do they supply the workforce with mobile phones to get in contact with you? If they use, your own PERSONAL phone then, I would withdraw that facility from them or ask to be reimbursed for the line rental per month.

...Reading this thread reminds me why i have worked for myself for most of my life...at least once a week i get to say Duncans famous line..."i'm out...":27:

Therefore write a letter of explanation that the reason for no signature is that you have not been given the details or the time to assess the implications of this requirement. The impact this would have on your personal circumstances would need to be assessed. Written guarantees of the December monetary return, the specific conditions under which it would not be returned (not paid) to the employee, specific details of the payment to be made for the loss of interest on this money being held by the company would all need to be in place.
Alternatives could also be considered, such as an agreement that the excess payable by the company (up to £500) for any repairs to your vehicle that have been proved to be caused by your negligence may be taken from your future pay would need to be considered, but further details of the insurance arrangements would be needed as excesses are often high for fleet policies.

And you wish to speak to a solicitor on the legalities of what they are doing.

Talking of this, I worked for a company a couple of years ago as a subby, one man band, had 5 of us working for him, had 2 new vivaros and an old transit connect.

Anyway, the lad driving the connect was sacked and it sat there doing nothing for a week or so until he offered it to me. But wanted me to give him £200 a month to cover fuel, insurance etc!!

This was just before Christmas. He also wanted me to start putting my invoices in monthly and getting paid the following month. So I would have worked January and February before getting paid at the end of February for what I'd worked in January, and so on.

Needless to say, he was told where to go and started working for another firm just after Christmas.

Reply to charge for using company van at work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net