Discuss Check-a-Trade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok so you dont know about it and you dont want to.
you cant read or use there website can you?

e6yneza6.jpg

I have never had the need to use them, It must be my charm that keeps me going, but I know people who have used them and said the same as Dillb, you pay for leads with no guarantee of work, it is just an online cattle market end of!!

You pay to have the page in the first place once a year. They update it with feedback cards they receive you can update it with text photos ect like your own webpage.

So please explain how they are any different to any other of these scams that are out there?

I have never had the need to use them, It must be my charm that keeps me going, but I know people who have used them and said the same as Dillb, you pay for leads with no guarantee of work, it is just an online cattle market end of!!
the difference between the yellow pages and this is simple.

a customer will ring less than 5 electricians

but

check a trade will send the lead out to over 50.

no but they just provide a phone number, these sites claim they vet and check all the registered trademans work. The customer can then leave a review for your businesses, please could you tell me why non of these sites have any negative reviews for them?

Well from my point of view i had very very few unhappy customers, and human nature I hate british gas but i dont complain to the ombudsman every month. They would have to do something serious for me to do that, on the other hand if its easy to leave a positive review and i was happy i may well do.

Ive never seen them claim to have checked all trademans work? Thats clearly bollox.

You pay to have the page in the first place once a year. They update it with feedback cards they receive you can update it with text photos ect like your own webpage.

Quote from checkatrade:

"The benefits of Checkatrade membership can be spread over 4 – 6 months via a Direct Debit. The actual spend is the equivalent to just over £11 a week (plus VAT). Can you afford not to join?"

So thats over £572.00 per year plus VAT making it about £686.00 minimum, so spread over 6 months its £114.00 per month

Any advertising which makes you do calculations to work out the annual costs is trying to hide them IMHO!

if you have been told by a check a trade member they had to pay for a lead i think you was speaking to a liar.

I used to pick up plenty of EM call outs and quick jobs off there 3-4 a week which fitted in around my maintenance stuff, used to love the pop in £60 jobs on the way home.

Sorry I meant they vet their work similar to scams, so maybe one job check insurance etc, so hardly a worthwhile claim is it?

Yes they check paperwork, quals when you sign up and insurance every year, make of that what you will but they did actually check which is more than most customers do. No work is vetted at all they vet paperwork.

if you have been told by a check a trade member they had to pay for a lead i think you was speaking to a liar.

I used to pick up plenty of EM call outs and quick jobs off there 3-4 a week which fitted in around my maintenance stuff, used to love the pop in £60 jobs on the way home.
the lead is the fee for the service Muppet lol

"used to" - why don't you now?

Hi Yellowvanman.
I've been mulling over sites like checkatrade. Consider this. The government is pushing Trustmark. I was with Tradeline run by AgeUk which got me a bit of business. AgeUk are/have closed Tradeline and passed their clients and traders on to Trustmark.
On the web, I noticed that one council is recommending that people look for their traders on Tradeline (now gone) or Trustmark.
Trustmark costs £66 a year via my lot, NICEIC. Cheaper if you're NAPIT, I think. So if AgeUK and the government are going to tell everybody to go to Trustmark, my money's going there too.
Just got the application form - nothing too onerous. Will let you know in a year's time whether it was worth £66!
Cheers
Pete

Wozz, back to my original point. Why do we need these third parties? How do you contact a garage to have work carried out on your vehicle? How do you choose where to do your food shopping?

Reply to Check-a-Trade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net