Discuss checking storage heater supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AJ16

-
DIY
Reaction score
I had a new storage heater fitted in the office but it's stopped working, Dimplex have been out and can't find a fault as they connected temporary supply and it started to get warm.

Is there a simple way of checking whether the night supply switches on?

Change the outlet to a socket and plug in a "mechanical" timer. Set to midnight, then the next morning you can see how many hours the timer has advanced with the power on.

Change the outlet to a socket and plug in a "mechanical" timer. Set to midnight, then the next morning you can see how many hours the timer has advanced with the power on.

Thanks, it's in my rented office, I'm not a sparks so don't really want to do any disconnection etc. Is there any other way?

And if you can, take a meter reading when you leave , then check it in the morning. If it has not moved no power.(providing there is only one on the circuit)

And if you can, take a meter reading when you leave , then check it in the morning. If it has not moved no power.(providing there is only one on the circuit)

There are two storage heaters in the office, one works. If I switch that one off I guess I could do the meter check thing, but if the new SH doesn't take a charge in the night then it won't really help will it??

There are two storage heaters in the office, one works. If I switch that one off I guess I could do the meter check thing, but if the new SH doesn't take a charge in the night then it won't really help will it??
No, but now you know the heater works and the supply to the other heater is good ,so it must be the supply to the new heater.
Why was the heater replaced?

Bad connection or blown fuse . It will be on it's own supply and fuse may have been overlooked on replacement, especially if the old SH had a fault.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the useful posts. The old heater failed as the connection block on the bottom burned out on one terminate, like it was black although we never smelled anything. An electrician fitted it and when he left it worked fine for 2 days with input & output on max, we then turned it down for Easter and it stopped working. The fuse in the wall outlet has been changed for one that works and Dimplex have been out but couldn't identify a fault with it. The land lord's agent is helpful but I'm going to have to tell her that I've done all I can and leave it to her to sort out. It may be something to do with the night supply but again it's how to check it out simply, I guess the sparks may have to connect a monitor to it overnight.

If the other heater is working through the night ,and both heaters a supplied from the same board, then the supply to the board is ok.
Has anyone checked the fuse in the board. (fuse box)

If the Dimplex lads had it working , it has to be a fault in the supply circuit.

Thanks for all the useful posts. The old heater failed as the connection block on the bottom burned out on one terminate, like it was black although we never smelled anything. An electrician fitted it and when he left it worked fine for 2 days with input & output on max, we then turned it down for Easter and it stopped working. The fuse in the wall outlet has been changed for one that works and Dimplex have been out but couldn't identify a fault with it. The land lord's agent is helpful but I'm going to have to tell her that I've done all I can and leave it to her to sort out. It may be something to do with the night supply but again it's how to check it out simply, I guess the sparks may have to connect a monitor to it overnight.

Get him back then.........

looking back at your earlier posts - are you a handman? sparky?

If the other heater is working through the night ,and both heaters a supplied from the same board, then the supply to the board is ok.
Has anyone checked the fuse in the board. (fuse box)

If the Dimplex lads had it working , it has to be a fault in the supply circuit.

Thanks, the fuse board fuse must surely be ok if the second Sh is working?
Yes it seems that a fault in the supply circuit could be the culprit.

Thanks, the fuse board fuse must surely be ok if the second Sh is working?
Yes it seems that a fault in the supply circuit could be the culprit.
No, they are usually on separate fuses.
Also they are usually switched by a double pole switch and not a fused connection unit.

Reply to checking storage heater supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net