Discuss City and Guilds 236 Parts 1 and 2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tonyh

Evening All,

I have City and Guilds 236 Parts 1 and 2 and have recently completed my 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition and also have my City and Guilds 2391 Inspection and Testing.

My question is: does the industry still recognise my City and Guilds 236 Parts 1 and 2?

Thanks

Tony

Thanks,

Just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t going to pay for extra courses or qualifications for the sake of it. More than happy to up date and up skill when necessary but didn’t want anyone saying to me that I didn’t have up to date qualifications or they weren’t current

Regards,

Tony

Evening All,

I have City and Guilds 236 Parts 1 and 2 and have recently completed my 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition and also have my City and Guilds 2391 Inspection and Testing.

My question is: does the industry still recognise my City and Guilds 236 Parts 1 and 2?

Thanks

Tony

Hi mate, ive just read your introduction thread, and can see your nearly out of the Mob.Have you considered your resettlement? are you a sapper?

Your qualifications are very good ones to have. The main money to be made is in the industrial and commercial sector. If your working fior yourself or a small company, then you will be absolutely fine on your quals. If however, you find that you need to work on a large site, then they will expect you to have a JIB card, and be graded. This cannot be done to new gradings without an NVQ3. You are probably expecting to work for yourself, but i strongly reccomend that you do the NVQ3 as ressettlement if possible, even if its only an insurance policy as such. Once youve got it, it cant be taken away, and its only the cost of a weeks wages.

If once your working for yourself,things go downhill, and you need to get a job with a large company or on a site, then you will wish you had the NVQ3. Not all sites need it, but 90% do in my experience, and all agencies ask for it.

Hi Johnboy,

Thanks for your reply, I am RLC but did my 236 before joining and have worked with an electrician recently to gain experience, thats when I did my 2391 and 17th. Thanks for the info i will definatley consider this.

Regards,

Tony

Hi Johnboy,

Thanks for your reply, I am RLC but did my 236 before joining and have worked with an electrician recently to gain experience, thats when I did my 2391 and 17th. Thanks for the info i will definatley consider this.

Regards,

Tony

your not a slop jockey are you? lol.

good luck mate, and let us know how you get on. keep reading through the posts on here, and you will learn more than you will on site!

Not worthless, just not as all encompassing.
What have we all missed out on then? I don't understand why City & Guilds would leave out things which are apparently so essential to know. My response isn't an attack on anyone, but I'm quite eager to know why people think this way. I hear it quite regularly from older sparks and, TBH, it's a sneer that I find quite offensive given how much hard work people have to put in to attain the 2330 at level 3. I have worked hard in the classroom and I have experience onsite ranging from working on 11kV and building control panels, to putting sockets in a residential dwelling. How can my experience be deemed in any way inferior? I can only take the qualifications that I have the opportunity to; surely this doesn't make me less of a spark?

No one is referring to any on-site experience here, but, the fact remains that electrical qualifications are slowly being watered down with a lot of the science being removed in favour of making pretty little installations on 8x4 sheets of MDF to make 'skillectric' for one look good.

From the 2360 to the farcical 2351 to the 2330 and now onto the 2357. Having had a read through of the modules for the new 2357, it appears to be even worse this time round.

The industry is being turned into a joke by all the ruling powers that are supposed to be looking after it, with too many cooks not spoiling, more decimating the broth!!!

What have we all missed out on then? I don't understand why City & Guilds would leave out things which are apparently so essential to know. My response isn't an attack on anyone, but I'm quite eager to know why people think this way. I hear it quite regularly from older sparks and, TBH, it's a sneer that I find quite offensive given how much hard work people have to put in to attain the 2330 at level 3. I have worked hard in the classroom and I have experience onsite ranging from working on 11kV and building control panels, to putting sockets in a residential dwelling. How can my experience be deemed in any way inferior? I can only take the qualifications that I have the opportunity to; surely this doesn't make me less of a spark?
I think you need to pull your neck in a bit.
No one as far as I'm aware has suggested you are less of a spark, because you have done a 2330 instead of a 2360 (at least not on this thread).
The simple fact is, that irrespective of what exams and qualifications you take and have, there is always something else to be learnt.
I haven't taken the 2330, so I am only going by what I have garnered from working with other sparks who have taken it.
My understanding, is that there is little if any time spent on installation design, and that much of what we were taught as basics such as conduit, trunking and MICC is completely ignored.

No one is referring to any on-site experience here, but, the fact remains that electrical qualifications are slowly being watered down with a lot of the science being removed in favour of making pretty little installations on 8x4 sheets of MDF to make 'skillectric' for one look good.From the 2360 to the farcical 2351 to the 2330 and now onto the 2357. Having had a read through of the modules for the new 2357, it appears to be even worse this time round.The industry is being turned into a joke by all the ruling powers that are supposed to be looking after it, with too many cooks not spoiling, more decimating the broth!!!
What sort of stuff is missing from the 2330 that was in the 2360 then? I'm genuinely interested as people obviously champion the 2360 for a reason. Part of me is irked by the notion that those who pass the 2330 level 3 are inferior in their elders' eyes. That said, if stuff has been left out of the 2330 purely to boost pass rates, I do see the argument against the 2330's stature. That said, I don't think it's fair to assume somebody is inferior if they didn't have the choice to take a different qualification. Out of interest, was the 2360 also a level 3 qualification, or was it level 4?Cheers.

Im one of the few people who can honestly say that they have done both courses, (well only the exams for the 2330).I was a combat engineer in the arrm, and also trained as an electrician. they used to teach the 2360 part 1, 2 and C. I broke my keg just before the AM2, so left the army with nothing, as if you didnt complete everything, you recieved nothing.
I had done everythiong apart from the AM2, boiler controls, HV jointing (yes they teach that to army sparks) and the final exams.

I left the army in 2007, and a year later, i took the exams for the 2330 level 3. I passed all of them first time, and i found them alot easier than the 236 papers i had seen. The assignmenmts for the 236 were harder. i didnt revise, and hadnt really taken a proper interest in electrics. all i could think about was the money.
in the 236, we were taught how to bend conduit, fabricate bends & sets in tray and trunking, MICC (pyro), testing and basic design.

i dont know exactly what your taught on the 2330, but the bloke i work with whos got his 2330 L3, is severley lacking in theory knowledge, and doesnt know how to bend conduit, or tray and trunking. He can gland cables well, but thats all he did in his last job.

Saying that, ive worked with sparks who have done the 2360, ansd they've been crap too.

I think you need to pull your neck in a bit.
No one as far as I'm aware has suggested you are less of a spark, because you have done a 2330 instead of a 2360 (at least not on this thread).
The simple fact is, that irrespective of what exams and qualifications you take and have, there is always something else to be learnt.
I haven't taken the 2330, so I am only going by what I have garnered from working with other sparks who have taken it.
My understanding, is that there is little if any time spent on installation design, and that much of what we were taught as basics such as conduit, trunking and MICC is completely ignored.

I apologise if my replies have seemed aggressive (they weren't supposed to be). All I am saying is that I hear comments like 'you've done the easy course' and 'that [the 2360] was a proper course' on site all of the time and to a degree on this forum as well, and I do view it as a sneer. At college I had practical lessons covering everything you listed, but obviously I can't assume that other colleges cover the same things.

There is obviously a reason people say that the 2360 is a superior qualification, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that people who can only take a certain qualification have it easy or they don't know as much as they should. The main response I hear if I challenge someone on this assumption is 'well, the 2330 has a load of multiple guess questions'. The way I see it, you still have to know what is taught to you during the course to stand a chance of passing it; I could have 4 answers to a question that asks me to calculate inductive reactance, but I can only choose one answer and that is best found by knowing the equation that I need to find the correct answer.

I apologise if my replies have seemed aggressive (they weren't supposed to be). All I am saying is that I hear comments like 'you've done the easy course' and 'that [the 2360] was a proper course' on site all of the time and to a degree on this forum as well, and I do view it as a sneer. At college I had practical lessons covering everything you listed, but obviously I can't assume that other colleges cover the same things.

There is obviously a reason people say that the 2360 is a superior qualification, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that people who can only take a certain qualification have it easy or they don't know as much as they should. The main response I hear if I challenge someone on this assumption is 'well, the 2330 has a load of multiple guess questions'. The way I see it, you still have to know what is taught to you during the course to stand a chance of passing it; I could have 4 answers to a question that asks me to calculate inductive reactance, but I can only choose one answer and that is best found by knowing the equation that I need to find the correct answer.
It sounds to me that what you are describing, is just general banter, and probablly in 10 or 20 years, you'll be telling people on site the the 7256 that they took is nothing like the 2330 you had to take, and aint coppers young nowadays.

hi all im in a bit of a pickle with this and hope to get some help

im 2351 236.1.2 part p qual only and now want to get my 2391 . but have lost all my 236 coursework over the years and need to revise badly so hoped that i could acquire the info needed from some were ,dose any body no where i can find this info ,cable calcs volt drop ect ect

Should all be in BS7671 and guidance notes.

Reply to City and Guilds 236 Parts 1 and 2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net