Discuss City and Guilds 2399-11 Solar PV Installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jeffy

hey, ive recently put in to do this course next month. its says you have to be competant in inspection and testing which im not. i am studying a book trying to learn how to inspect and test and wondered if anyone had done this course and whether they help you with the testing or expect you to know.
thanks

Which book are you studying from? I'm sure the folks running the course will help in as much as they'll tell you what to connect to what, which button to press and which result to record, but they'll throw terminology around expecting you to know and understand what it means.

It's not difficult to know what's meant by the term "insulation resistance", for example, but to understand why it's a problem, what problems it could cause, how to remedy it, where to look for faults etc. etc. etc. requires experience beyond book-based knowledge. I'm not just trying to put you off, ultimately it's down to you to be honest with yourself about how competent and comfortable you feel carrying out the tests based on your level of knowledge, and the fact that you're concerned enough to put in the effort outside of the classroom is encouraging... but perhaps you could ask the college if they could arrange a session of basic testing so at least you'll be able to "feel" it happening as well as reading about it? Or why not sign up for a testing course to show your commitment and put your mind at rest (and help keep the public safe!)? Easier said than done, I know, money and time and all that...

I guess what I'm saying is they'll probably help you to some degree, and by the end of the course you'll be able to do the right things in the right order to achieve the right results. I just know if I was in your shoes I'd have a constant niggling worry that I didn't really know what I was doing. Electricity is serious stuff!

Good luck with it.

Guidance Notes 3 will be a good read for you though the testing side was pretty much coached on our 2399. Not that I needed coaching as it's something I'm very familiar with but others on the same course without the same familiarity didn't have any problems.

hey, ive recently put in to do this course next month. its says you have to be competant in inspection and testing which im not. i am studying a book trying to learn how to inspect and test and wondered if anyone had done this course and whether they help you with the testing or expect you to know.
thanks
I have been told that you need 2391 before apply for 2399!!

It's the practical guide to electrical testing book, seems quite helpful! I rung my local college about 2391 and they told me they are not running it as the course is changing and they will notify me when the new course starts! So basically I'm doing the solar panel course first then inspection and testing.

That's not true.
I have my 2391 but my boss doesn't yet we both enrolled on the 2399 course.
some suppliers insist on it - eg centre for alternative technology who'd not take our spark who only has a 3 year NVQ3, 2392, part p, 17th edition and 5 years sparking.

speaking of which, I do believe they've still got my deposit.

Reply to City and Guilds 2399-11 Solar PV Installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net