Discuss Claiming Jobseekers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

My partner was left disabled in 2005 after private operation we both had to give up work since then i have repeatedly contacted Jokecentre by telephone email and by apointment to get help with training, funding, advice
etc i have contacted every agency i could for help and advice to go self employed
I had a apprenticeship in 86 never completed but worked on and off al my working life with electrical installation and some maintainance etc tried all these yrs to get back on apprenticeship type course done loads of other different jobs and some very low paid to have any kind of future except the dole

I ended up being told a repeatedly there is NO TRAINING NO FUNDING NO NOTHING not even any useful advice and that basicaly as a non professional carer that i am not classed as unemployed and there is no help
If i signed on then they may be able to help me in 6 months
WHAT THE ???????
so in 2009 i paid £4020 for a private course got some basic quals
in 2010 after agin seeking help paid for 2391 and passed £540 i studied about 4 months solid 12 hrs a day
contacted a organisation that helped you to set up self employed and gain access to grants under north west regional development fund for upto £2k as i live in former coalfield area
THEN THE TORYS GOT IN AND SLASHJED AND CUT IT ALL AGINA JUST LIKE THE MAGGIE DAYS soon as i heard they were in I knew it was only going to get worse for people such as myself
in 2010 tried to gain employment further college courses for 2330 or self employment again
missed out at one of local colleges after initial being told a place for lv3 contacted every college within 100 mile radius
and 31st march 2011 last day of registration got offered a place of i could get there in 30 mins to enrol did so through rush hour and got the place nitially told £800 then becauxse of certain benefits only had to pay the exam fees
WHY DIDNT THE DOLE TEL ME THIS IN FIRST PLACE save us laods of cash we had saved and since
Only to find out day after they had extended after all

went on date i was told to start 21st april2011 to find out no course and all the other students had gone back to lv2 as they had been fast tracked so no lv3 course until sept
i ended up sitting in with them why they finished lv2 properly
I will be finished this week with colege having completed lv3 got distinctions so far as I studied solid again at home we had 8 tutors since sept so you can guess how it was to be fair to the 2 latest they are ok but we only had them a matter of weeks and up until them coming was only covering the units for 301 so the syllabus for 302 and 303 have gonbe out the window and basicaly teach yourself how to pass a exam.
put it this way the 6 week fast track course was better yes i have learned more about 3 phase theory etc but very limited practical apart from helping to teach the others in recent weeks how to I&T as they missed this out wehn fast tracked under lv2 so not there fault C&Gs and all the other muppets who had a helping hand in coming up with this shambles

i registered with elecsa £444 passed with a A after doing complete rewire and alarm system for free for the mother in law PLI £66 calibrated test equpiment and all related books for study and day to day use must be easy over £6k maybe £7k
who knows all i know is My partner and i have been spending evrything we can so i can gain us some kind of better finaincial future
done some voluntary work for a local firm doing council rewires and also some commercial
I am also doing my brothers as he wanted loads doing again for free

I seem to do electrics for free and basicaly it costs me lol

think i have deffo been doing it wrong all these yrs hehe

i must be the only free electrician in the whole country

dont give up mate keep plodding if you need to sign on to survive then do so NEEDS must and all that

Good luck hope the work picks up soon

your mad bruclee but i think id employ you.

it aint easy but by reading your post your civil servent staff need shot.

i got csr card for free got 2391 for 90 quid got level 2 and level 3 for about 300 quid including exam fees. couldnt get out with a spark for the first year but now with the forum and my self drive im getting somewhere . have two houses going on which really adrag out, just finished a doctors surgery new lights, dada trunking , extra sockets etc ,work for facilities managment company days here and there and other bits and bobs.

im talking the talk at minute bot probably under pricing and runnng round like nutter for just a wage which aint seen in ages..

Although I work in manufacturing, my experience of people who have started and maintained a company(or been self employed) is that they have understood the benefits system very well. Whether it is right or wrong is another matter. I will also say that until these people these people started out on there own they paid into the system.

Although I work in manufacturing, my experience of people who have started and maintained a company(or been self employed) is that they have understood the benefits system very well. Whether it is right or wrong is another matter. I will also say that until these people these people started out on there own they paid into the system.

I too worked in manufacturing first as a Precision Engineer, then Machine Shop Foreman and finally as a Training Instructor tasked with the selection, training & welfare of some 80 apprentices in a large engineering company. This last job lasted for 5 years until everything went belly-up & I spent the next 13 months relying one the Benefits System which I certainly did NOT understand !!! I found the whole thing to be shambolic, discriminatory and downright degrading and that was why I decided to start up on my own. I didn't have much idea about starting / running a business either, but at least I was to be master of my own destiny & not have my life ruled by some snotty-nosed clerk at the Job Centre who could bollox-up my day or not - depending on whether he / she had enjoyed his / her breakfast that morning or had a shag the night before !!

My 27 years of self-employment were probably the hardest of my life, but they were also the happiest.

One of my sons on the other hand DOES know the benefits system VERY well - so well in fact that the bone idle ******* has never had a job in his life & has spent 16 years (so far) sponging off the rest of us. He celebrated his birthday last week by being given the keys to a flat - all paid for by the "Benefits System".

I'm disgusted at the whole thing ...... and him !!!

IOne of my sons on the other hand DOES know the benefits system VERY well - so well in fact that the bone idle ******* has never had a job in his life & has spent 16 years (so far) sponging off the rest of us. He celebrated his birthday last week by being given the keys to a flat - all paid for by the "Benefits System"
QUOTE]

Does he have a family?

IOne of my sons on the other hand DOES know the benefits system VERY well - so well in fact that the bone idle ******* has never had a job in his life & has spent 16 years (so far) sponging off the rest of us. He celebrated his birthday last week by being given the keys to a flat - all paid for by the "Benefits System"
QUOTE]

Does he have a family?

No he doesn't ...... he's too bloody lazy even for that !!

The sod has been living with me & his mother. I threw him out & he was gone for 3 weeks - until his mother took him back in behind my back, and somewhere in the middle of that debacle, he applied for housing and it looks like he got it.

Makes you wonder why we work when things like this happen. No job, "could" live at home, now a complete drain on the state.

I'm guessing that he's ordered Sky TV too!

Makes you wonder why we work when things like this happen. No job, "could" live at home, now a complete drain on the state.

I'm guessing that he's ordered Sky TV too!

He probably has - I haven't asked. I couldn't give a flying one.

It was because of him & his brother that we divorced - after being together since 1968. Never mind, since then I've got together with a Pikey lass who's great fun to be with so every cloud etc. ....... :)

I too worked in manufacturing first as a Precision Engineer, then Machine Shop Foreman and finally as a Training Instructor tasked with the selection, training & welfare of some 80 apprentices in a large engineering company. This last job lasted for 5 years until everything went belly-up & I spent the next 13 months relying one the Benefits System which I certainly did NOT understand !!! I found the whole thing to be shambolic, discriminatory and downright degrading and that was why I decided to start up on my own. I didn't have much idea about starting / running a business either, but at least I was to be master of my own destiny & not have my life ruled by some snotty-nosed clerk at the Job Centre who could bollox-up my day or not - depending on whether he / she had enjoyed his / her breakfast that morning or had a shag the night before !!

My 27 years of self-employment were probably the hardest of my life, but they were also the happiest.

One of my sons on the other hand DOES know the benefits system VERY well - so well in fact that the bone idle ******* has never had a job in his life & has spent 16 years (so far) sponging off the rest of us. He celebrated his birthday last week by being given the keys to a flat - all paid for by the "Benefits System".

I'm disgusted at the whole thing ...... and him !!!

i like your old school style gs,not enough of it around, parents mollycoddling their kids,who have it so easy they dont want to work,because they will need a 30k job to maintain the standards they have at home,too many lazy bassers around..

i like your old school style gs,not enough of it around, parents mollycoddling their kids,who have it so easy they dont want to work,because they will need a 30k job to maintain the standards they have at home,too many lazy bassers around..

Thank you :)

I inherited that from me Dad.

He served his apprenticeship as a fitter & turner - when it MEANT something - then as it was nearing the end of the war, he was called-up & joined REME (Army Engineers) & was assigned to Bomb Disposal looking after their gear etc.

After the war, he got a job at a paint factory as a Maintenance Fitter where he remained until he retired by which time he rose through the ranks to the giddy heights of Maintenance Manager. In all that time, we could count on both hands the number of days he was off sick.

He had me working in our shed which had a home-made lathe in it which he rebuilt using nothing more than hand tools, He even made a four jaw chuck for it using an old lathe at work when on night shift, hacksaw, files & hammer & chisel. He won a prize in a competition for that effort. He also made a drilling machine & a vertical milling machine - both from scratch. He was one Hell of a craftsman. He would have something made using not much more than his hand tools while I was still looking for a machine to do the same job !!

By the time I was 13, I was building working models of steam locomotives & had my apprenticeship as a Precision Engineer in the bag. The trouble was ...... I REALLY wanted to be a spark !!!

Thank you :)

I inherited that from me Dad.

He served his apprenticeship as a fitter & turner - when it MEANT something - then as it was nearing the end of the war, he was called-up & joined REME (Army Engineers) & was assigned to Bomb Disposal looking after their gear etc.

After the war, he got a job at a paint factory as a Maintenance Fitter where he remained until he retired by which time he rose through the ranks to the giddy heights of Maintenance Manager. In all that time, we could count on both hands the number of days he was off sick.

He had me working in our shed which had a home-made lathe in it which he rebuilt using nothing more than hand tools, He even made a four jaw chuck for it using an old lathe at work when on night shift, hacksaw, files & hammer & chisel. He won a prize in a competition for that effort. He also made a drilling machine & a vertical milling machine - both from scratch. He was one Hell of a craftsman. He would have something made using not much more than his hand tools while I was still looking for a machine to do the same job !!

By the time I was 13, I was building working models of steam locomotives & had my apprenticeship as a Precision Engineer in the bag. The trouble was ...... I REALLY wanted to be a spark !!!

craftsman..now there's a term not used much these days,everyones an engineer now..

lads your forgetting the one thing you know. you can go to work for someone and have a crap time for 200 a week. then ccosts to go to work the some house keep or rent then you have very little left to play with or you can claim the dole for70 a week and do nothing. plus crisis loans, cash in hand for odd jobs.. it doesnt pay for some people to work. everyone situation is different. but i believe its good for your sanity to get up in morning and go to work and come home at tea time.

i hated having to turn up and sign.

I agree, its good for your sanity to go to work. Its better for your sanity to get as much money as possible for the work you do or do not do. I've never been able to get around the benefits system as being PAYE. But if, and I say if, I worked for any builder friends outside of my normal work I would expect to maximise my earnings by certain means. As I've said the most successful people seem to know how to manipulate the system.

lets not talk then about the woman who has 17 kids and claims £60k a year in hand outs,sick moo that one.My dad said to me 16 what do you think your doing siitng there on your backside,go get a job or your out,i did and always kept those values,jobseekers money should be earned not given for doing nothing,I look around my local area now and its all scummy mummys,18-25 year olds 3 kids hanging off them,and they get more money after never working a day in there life and never paying a penny in taxes,yet the average working bloke who has paid all his taxes and then gets made redundant gets less.The system is unfair in my view on the people that have put the most into .

Last edited by a moderator:
lets not talk then about the woman who has 17 kids and claims £60k a year in hand outs,sick moo that one.My dad said to me 16 what do you think your doing siitng there on your backside,go get a job or your out,i did and always kept those values,jobseekers money should be earned not given for doing nothing,I look around my local area now and its all scummy mummys,18-25 year olds 3 kids hanging off them,and they get more money after never working a day in there life and never paying a penny in taxes,yet the average working bloke who has paid all his taxes and then gets made redundant gets less.The system is unfair in my view on the people that have put the most into .

Your damn' right it's unfair.

One time when I was out of work & claiming JSA, I used some of my savings to update my gas qualifications. The cours & assessment cost over £900 & when the Dept of Work & Pensions found out they stopped my JSA because I had deprived myself of capital.

And you wonder why I'm a bit of an anarchist !!!!

the system doesnt work for some and its perfect for some. 16 kids is a joke but her choice or she like the buckfast and forgets her female condom..

Reply to Claiming Jobseekers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net