Discuss Comb busbar in consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
On a job today and in a consumer unit came across a split load board with usual cables from bottom of main switch to rcds. everything had been moved along 1 creating a space for a rcbo feeding garage, Woman admitted her ex had done the garage job himself so no certs or testing. I was there installing shower circuit for bathroom directly above upstairs.
What struck me was that from the screw point on bottom of main switch he has used a comb style busbar to link bottom of main incoming live to the rcbo at the front of rcbo / main switch rather than the main terminal at back of switch and rcbo where the busbars would normally go. the comb bar is in tight and not loose the screw is holding it well at both main switch and rcbo.
Don't think off top of my head it brakes any specific reg but does seem poor practice from my view. i have left alone but noted it on minor certificate so i dont assume any responsibility.
i would have used a busbar in with the tails that feed rcds and take the live to rcbo in usual terminal at back.
How common is this out there to use comb bus bars in domestic cu's in this way attached to screws at front?

did you take any pics before hand of the job and after!
Didnt think to at the time, it was only tonight when doing the paperwork i thought about it some more.
it was a fork style bar linking the main switch to the adjacent rcbo via the screws at front of rcbo and switch. used to see this method in some brands years ago but thought it had died out. in the clamp terminal at back of main switch was usual cables feeding live to rcds. it was wylex stuff. admittedly an unconventional way todo it, but given her ex did it with no paperwork i was not going to delve too deep as i dont want my name on somebody else's possibly dodgy install. it was like this bar between screws at front, the screws were holding it in tight so not at all loose. the screws sit in the little notch

bb.JPG

I would not have connected nothing to the board unless it was reinstated as per the manufacturers instructions.

Not 100% on this but I would have thought either use the front screwhead section as has been done with this addition OR use the cage clamp at the back. I wouldn't think that both would hold firmly. As I say though not 100% on it.
To add, I would only use the front screwhead fixing if that was the intended termination point, found on some older boards as you mention.
Were both terminations, front and back, really secure then Gavin?

Not 100% on this but I would have thought either use the front screwhead section as has been done with this addition OR use the cage clamp at the back. I wouldn't think that both would hold firmly. As I say though not 100% on it.
To add, I would only use the front screwhead fixing if that was the intended termination point, found on some older boards as you mention.
Were both terminations, front and back, really secure then Gavin?
Well this fork diy set up was only going from main switch to a single rcbo immediately to the left, the main cable terminals at back of main switch had the chunky joined cables where the heads a re squared off in factory going to rcds, i gave it a tug and it seemed very tight, in part i suspect because the tails feeding the 2 rcds were so chunky, on a smaller cable i doubt it would be so good.

when you do you test sheets ,you are only putting down what circuit
that you are working on.it is not your responsibility if s88t hits the fan, what the customer done any alterations to their own c/u.
if not happy tell the customer if unsafe .next time take pic before hand and after could save your a&&s.

Last edited:
I think some Wylex series use the fork busbar and some use the prong type. The breakers are made for use with both, either in the cage clamp or under the screw at the front.

Well this fork diy set up was only going from main switch to a single rcbo immediately to the left, the main cable terminals at back of main switch had the chunky joined cables where the heads a re squared off in factory going to rcds, i gave it a tug and it seemed very tight, in part i suspect because the tails feeding the 2 rcds were so chunky, on a smaller cable i doubt it would be so good.

Yeah get what you are saying. I would certainly never entertain that method of connection unless the MIs said it was fine, even then I would be paranoid about the connections not being nipped up nicely. Don't come across the front position bus bars very often. Think the last one I recall seeing was around a year ago..

Reply to Comb busbar in consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net