Discuss Combi Drill and Tools for commercial work? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the industry and I have just been offered job :hurray: with a company who mainly focus on commercial work around the North West.

I have no kit as this is my first job in the trade. I have been told to get hold of my own Cordless Drill and start collecting the basic tools for mainly commercial jobs.

Can anyone help me with a small list of required tools and your recommendations would also be appreciated. I'm looking at spending around ÂŁ150, possibly ÂŁ200 on a decent drill.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

What I was told when I started was to get a good pair of side cutters and a decent hammer then just a basic set of screwdrivers, knife and pliers.
The rest you will work out as you go along

who told you to get a drill? a drill shouldn't even be a thought till you get a collection of handtools

what kind of work do they do in comercial? it would be silly of us to recommend certain tools to you if you will never use them there

Last edited:
What I was told when I started was to get a good pair of side cutters and a decent hammer then just a basic set of screwdrivers, knife and pliers.
The rest you will work out as you go along
was a little different when i started, i did a plumbing course alongside the electrical course and they bassically told us what kind of tools to buy and which brands to look at.

ill get a quick starter list together later, i personally wouldnt get the ck kit i dont like there waterpump pliers and some other tools etc.

some irwin tools are horrible but i haven't come across a better stanley than the irwin folder.

knipex/bahco/wiha 160mm side cutters
stanley fatmax 18" bag
300mm disston hacksaw
14/16oZ hammer
wera/wiha,irazola screwdriver set
stanley boat level

that is a good starter kit

Last edited:
who told you to get a drill? a drill shouldn't even be a thought till you get a collection of handtools

what kind of work do they do in comercial? it would be silly of us to recommend certain tools to you if you will never use them there

The guy who owns the company! They have their own power tools but he said "it would save you standing around waiting for one" whilst I'm learning my trade.

They do lots of different types of commercial work Here is a link to their website: Electrician Manchester

Really appreciate the list of tools you provided, thanks :bucktooth:

Admittedly guys, I like to buy quality things that last and do the job properly, but I don't have a huge amount of cash at the minute and I'm not so sure I actually NEED a top of the range drill.

I was thinking of buying a C.K. starter kit and a Ryobi drill but the batteries are only 1.3Ah

Links to both below:

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/ck-electricians-premium-tool-kit-bag/35475

Ryobi One Plus Cordless 18V Li-Ion Drill 2 Batteries LLCDI18022L | Departments | DIY at B&Q

Tools your going to need:

hacksaw
file
setsquare
hammer
grips( water pump pliers)
small magnetic level
tape measure
screwdrivers
side cutters or croppers
pencils and marker pens

this should get you going. As for drills have a look around for a decent 18v combi drill..makita,dewalt etc spend what you can afford

Good Luck!

ryobi are pants. go for the dewalt or jcb that i gave you the link for. both @ b&q. go on a wednedsay with someone over 60 and get 10% off.

Buy body only drill from fastfix.co.uk and buy replica batteries from ebay for around ÂŁ22-ÂŁ25 they last virtually same time I have had some as long as the real ones and real ones have failed first. Ebay you can pick up charges for around ÂŁ30. Hope this helps

Buy body only drill from fastfix.co.uk and buy replica batteries from ebay for around ÂŁ22-ÂŁ25 they last virtually same time I have had some as long as the real ones and real ones have failed first. Ebay you can pick up charges for around ÂŁ30. Hope this helps

the old genuine ones had a design flaw thats fixed now. my batteries are all over 3 years old and going strong.

just seen this on ebay and it looks like a very good deal

Makita DHP458Z Li Ion 18V LXT Cordless Hammer Drill With 2 x 3.0Ah Batteries | eBay

the batteries and charger alone are worth the money

Last edited:
Admittedly guys, I like to buy quality things that last and do the job properly, but I don't have a huge amount of cash at the minute and I'm not so sure I actually NEED a top of the range drill.

I was thinking of buying a C.K. starter kit and a Ryobi drill but the batteries are only 1.3Ah

Links to both below:

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/ck-electricians-premium-tool-kit-bag/35475

Ryobi One Plus Cordless 18V Li-Ion Drill 2 Batteries LLCDI18022L | Departments | DIY at B&Q
I'm with Shanky, I started with the CK kit and regretted it. I have replaced everything bar the long nose pliers in the past 3.5 years.

Buy cheap buy twice, it's worth spending a little more on a drill now that'll last years rather than having to replace a cheaper one in a year or two. It's also worth looking at the range of other battery tools each manufacturer offers so you can build up a collection that share the same batteries. I think you will struggle to find better than Makita for the shear size of their range, everything from drills down to battery chain saws!

Reply to Combi Drill and Tools for commercial work? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net