Discuss Commercial PIR on a LARGE site. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

In that situation, we would propose a full test and a 20% inspection.

If significant defects are revealed then the inspection percentage should be increased with agreement from the client as additional costs will be involved.

The primary reason for sampling is that faults would be introduced as a consequence of mass dismantling of the installation.

IQ,

Sorry for the late thanks but much appreciated. ive discussed this with the Customer and aside from confirming the pricing, we are looking to go with Testing plus 20% inspection plus increase as problem found etc.

Most of the works i have seen are likely to be remedial related unless the testing starts to show anything really untoward. Finally making some headway with this i think.. still very daunting though!

Theybe got lots of work needs doing along with the testing and now the PAT testing i due.. might aswell sign myself up for the year! :D

Make hay while the sun shines!

You'll find most of your defects will come from the visual inspection, damaged accessories, IP problems on DB's and panels etc.

Most of our testing identified defects are failed RCBO/RCD's, low IR's on older installations, and the odd exceeded Zs.

The PAT price is getting hammered at the minute, ridiculous prices reflecting the fact that anyone can be a 'PAT tester'. We stick firmly to our price per item unless there is an unusually large quantity, let the 75 pence an item brigade take it if they want it, we can't make money on that.

no a full test of every circuit is required that will give you a base to monitor the condition for the next inspection , appart from all the testing what i would recommend is you lable the dist boards as you do them if there are more than one also lable the sockets switches outlets with whickh DB they are from and associated circuit 1 it makes life easier and you know what youve tested and also in the future if you have any work from them you can identify the circuits quickly , you have to identify every thing when your testing its so easy to do a quick lable ive just done a wholesalers with 14 Dist boards started off with DB1 which was the main one and ended up with DB 14 labled with 24mm yellow and black letters/numbers and 12 mm lable for all the accessories

Last edited by a moderator:
20% Inspection in my world means 20% sampling, because a full visual is the norm lol

Absolutely, by inspection, I mean actually dismantling accessories etc.

I'd also get the labelling bit cleared up with the client, we always supply DB schedules as part of the inspection because it's the flick of a button and the printer does the rest but on the sites that we do with 1000+ circuits, it would be impossible to include labelling of accessories (there will be thousands) in with the standard PIR rate.

That's the thing, if you pick on areas where you think labeling is required ie a bank of isolators not identified as to what they do, you would put that in with the report, then its up to the client what they intend to do about it.

I don't think people fully understand the concept behind PIR'S.

Just as a point of interest.
What code would you apply to lack of circuit identification in this or similar instances?
Would your choice of code be affected by the number of unidentified circuits?

I thought IQ meant was as he said only dismantling say 20% of the faceplates / accessories etc.

Really appreciate everyones input thank you. Makes it easier to clarify all points with the customer prior to starting.

:)

Reply to Commercial PIR on a LARGE site. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net