Discuss Concerned about bathroom work carried out in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Let's be honest if your a Electrical Trainee or a 30yw they all can produce bad workmanship it's down to the individual. Just because they haven't gone down the same training as you doesn't automaticlly make them rough does it.

It's probably only saving grace is the pipework which looks neat & tidy. I don't like the plastic push fit though - never have - but it can bring some benefits sometimes.

Back to the issue of the switches etc; is there a cupboard - an airing cupboard maybe?- outside the bathroom you could hide them in?
exactly...thats where they should be..

they`v been tryin to save on a bit of cable by breakin out that feeder where they have...

Let's be honest if your a Electrical Trainee or a 30yw they all can produce bad workmanship it's down to the individual. Just because they haven't gone down the same training as you doesn't automaticlly make them rough does it.

True.......but I know who my money would be on, generally.

As a non-technical question, how much did the 'electrician' charge for the job? My thinking being if you've paid peanuts on one of the trader sites you get monkeys doing the job ......

The cable in question (apparently not in safe zone) is presumably dropping to a visible flex outlet/whatever - we can't judge until all the facts are in

Quite surprised we are prepared to bad mouth some electrician on the basis of a customer's perception of a yet unfinished job. :)

Doesn't look that bad to me.
If anyone was drilling etc around that area they should be removing that panel to check for pipes etc anyway.

However, more importantly where are the spurs fed from? Are they a spur off spur from a 32A MCB?

And I very much doubt the man/sup bonding is satisfactory given the age of the CU.

a safe zone can be created either side of a wall Nick...it then applies to both sides of that wall...

basically the point i was trying to get across at #11

Glenn can you point me in the direction that suggests that a safe zone carries through the wall. I was under the impression that it was only contained within the same room? Admittedly I wouldn't drill into a wall directly behind a light switch.

Doesn't look that bad to me.
If anyone was drilling etc around that area they should be removing that panel to check for pipes etc anyway.

However, more importantly where are the spurs fed from? Are they a spur off spur from a 32A MCB?

And I very much doubt the man/sup bonding is satisfactory given the age of the CU.

Post 7 mentions isolation

Electricians guide to the building regs expands on it -- section 2. Basically the zone on one side extends to the reverse side of the wall ..... provided of course the location of the accessory/safe zone can be determined from the reverse side!

I agree we should not suggest the bloke drives a horse as none of us know the full picture.

it looks ok for the purpose of being concealed but as others have said at present it doesn't appear to be in a safe zone. But then again we can't see the whole picture or know how it's going to be finished.

i think the best thing to do would be to ask the electrician if he can explain to you about the safe zones and ask him to show you how his work complies, as for putting the switches next to the pump, I can't see any problems.

As for the RCD, I would have thought it would just be on the one circuit but without looking I can't comment. I think he has possibly made the best of what he had to work with there, it's got to have an RCD and I suspect he probably advised you that it would be fitted in that way, you don't tend to have many options when working with old boards.

Electricians guide to the building regs expands on it -- section 2. Basically the zone on one side extends to the reverse side of the wall ..... provided of course the location of the accessory/safe zone can be determined from the reverse side!

Thst sound very familiar now you say it, My regs book and OSG are 200 miles away at present.

Glenn can you point me in the direction that suggests that a safe zone carries through the wall. I was under the impression that it was only contained within the same room? Admittedly I wouldn't drill into a wall directly behind a light switch.

BGB Top of pg 125 (522.6.101.v)

OSG implies it by illustration pg 74

...and provided the wall is 100mm thick or less

Personally I don't put cables in the wall using a safe zone on the reverse as it seems wrong and asking for someone to put a nail in a wire that they were not thinking was going to be there.

God what a saga!
Who designed the "solution"?
Did you the home owner agree to have fused unit behind a panel?
Who/when are the next connections being made?
Is the sparky a member of a scheme?
Is the equipotential bonding in place and to the regs?
How much are you paying?

and finally this should be in the DIY section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I don't put cables in the wall using a safe zone on the reverse as it seems wrong and asking for someone to put a nail in a wire that they were not thinking was going to be there.

Yes but with some modern wall constructs (<100mm) your cables are vulnerable to the other side anyway.

As a non-technical question, how much did the 'electrician' charge for the job? My thinking being if you've paid peanuts on one of the trader sites you get monkeys doing the job ......

I am paying ÂŁ450 for the job. This was meant to include them wiring up the pump etc which they haven't done. I'm not completely familiar with the price of these jobs but that sounds fair were the job done properly.

I am paying ÂŁ450 for the job. This was meant to include them wiring up the pump etc which they haven't done. I'm not completely familiar with the price of these jobs but that sounds fair were the job done properly.

Why have they not wired the pump? Was it not ready for connection on the day?
Why are the fuses removed from the FCUs? Is there further work to be done?

You said your main concern was the FCUs (normal type) installed near the pipes - This is NOT a problem and is totally compliant.

God what a saga!
Who designed the "solution"?
Did you the home owner agree to have fused unit behind a panel?
Who/when are the next connections being made?
Is the sparky a member of a scheme?
Is the equipotential bonding in place and to the regs?
How much are you paying?

and finally this should be in the DIY section.

You have NO idea how much of a saga this whole bathroom has been... 6 months since I had a functioning shower in my house... this is just another part of it!

• I designed the room and the placement of the equipment. It was the only way it was going to work, I spent a few weeks doing it on a computer to scale. It wasn't a rush job.
• I spoke to the guy over the phone and he said he was going to locate everything above the mixer, I explained that there would be a panel there but I didn't really think this meant the fused switches in the bathroom, I was thinking he meant the location of junction boxes etc.
• I guess I am going to do the final connection.. wasn't mentioned they were coming back.
• They had a whole load of certifications on their page on the trader website. I also clarified they were Part P certified as this is an ex local property and I HAVE to abide by the councils rules.
• This was mentioned but I will have to wait till I get the invoice to see if they have actually added it.
• £450

Cheers,

Tom.

Reply to Concerned about bathroom work carried out in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net