Discuss Concerned about bathroom work carried out in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Why have they not wired the pump? Was it not ready for connection on the day?
Why are the fuses removed from the FCUs? Is there further work to be done?

You said your main concern was the FCUs (normal type) installed near the pipes - This is NOT a problem and is totally compliant.

Im not entirely clear why they didn't wire the pump or mixer... both were installed and ready for wiring, there is no water supply at the moment but they can both be dry tested.

The mirror will need adding at a later date as obviously I need to add the panels and tile before it goes up.

Thanks for clarifying about the FCUs. That was indeed my main concern.

Im not entirely clear why they didn't wire the pump or mixer... both were installed and ready for wiring, there is no water supply at the moment but they can both be dry tested.

The mirror will need adding at a later date as obviously I need to add the panels and tile before it goes up.

Thanks for clarifying about the FCUs. That was indeed my main concern.

This may be why they have chosen not to wire the pump yet - pump can overheat without water (you say they are coming back re: the mirror).

Have you discussed your concerns with the electrician? If so what does he say?

You have NO idea how much of a saga this whole bathroom has been... 6 months since I had a functioning shower in my house... this is just another part of it!

• I designed the room and the placement of the equipment. It was the only way it was going to work, I spent a few weeks doing it on a computer to scale. It wasn't a rush job.
• I spoke to the guy over the phone and he said he was going to locate everything above the mixer, I explained that there would be a panel there but I didn't really think this meant the fused switches in the bathroom, I was thinking he meant the location of junction boxes etc.
• I guess I am going to do the final connection.. wasn't mentioned they were coming back.
• They had a whole load of certifications on their page on the trader website. I also clarified they were Part P certified as this is an ex local property and I HAVE to abide by the councils rules.
• This was mentioned but I will have to wait till I get the invoice to see if they have actually added it.
• £450

Cheers,

Tom.
So are you saying he quoted you a price without visiting you? Junction boxes are also not recommended hidden behind panels

I am paying ÂŁ450 for the job. This was meant to include them wiring up the pump etc which they haven't done. I'm not completely familiar with the price of these jobs but that sounds fair were the job done properly.

For a days work, an RCD, a bit of T&E and 3 FCU's you've not paid for monkeys!

No I agree with badged. That's a fair bit of money for what looks on paper quite straight forward.

For a days work, an RCD, a bit of T&E and 3 FCU's you've not paid for monkeys!

This may also include main & supplementary bonding, a second visit when mirror, water supply etc is ready

The price is difficult to judge without all the facts - the ÂŁ450 may have been a worse scenario estimate (it was 'over the phone')

So are you saying he quoted you a price without visiting you? Junction boxes are also not recommended hidden behind panels

No he visited me to give me a quote. I was stuck in meetings at work so my other half was at home when the job was actually done which is when I spoke to him on the phone.

We hadn't discussed the finer details of where everything was going.

This looks like its my fault really as I didn't spell it out...

This may also include main & supplementary bonding, a second visit when mirror, water supply etc is ready

The price is difficult to judge without all the facts - the ÂŁ450 may have been a worse scenario estimate (it was 'over the phone')

In that case if he's put in supp bonding (with an RCD?) and main bonding (absent? maybe undersized?) along with an additional days visit to wire in a pump and mirror (heck knows what he was doing the first day!) then you may well have a monkey doing the work :biggrin:

Edited ---- just read the above post on visiting to do the quote, so one assumes he knew what work he was quoting for!

No he visited me to give me a quote. I was stuck in meetings at work so my other half was at home when the job was actually done which is when I spoke to him on the phone.

We hadn't discussed the finer details of where everything was going.

This looks like its my fault really as I didn't spell it out...

Not really understanding what it is you are not happy with - the pump itself will need access for maintenance etc (designated panel cover) and this is no doubt why the electrician chose to mount the local switchgear in there - there is no problem with mounting electrical equipment in a location that has easy access.

In that case if he's put in supp bonding (with an RCD?) and main bonding (absent? maybe undersized?) along with an additional days visit to wire in a pump and mirror (heck knows what he was doing the first day!) then you may well have a monkey doing the work :biggrin:

Edited ---- just read the above post on visiting to do the quote, so one assumes he knew what work he was quoting for!

The RCD was for the RFC he was using to feed the install, the supplementary bonding is relevant if the lighting circuit has no RCD

Also this price probably includes VAT, actual price ÂŁ375

Agree with Hawkmoon, I too cant see a problem with the FCUs within a void, accessable via a removeable panel and therefore outside the bathroom zones.

As for the cable running down the wall, as has been stated, we dont know whats on the otherside of the wall etc and cant be sure if it is outside of the so called "safe zones".

I can see why the cable has been run down the wall and not across to the left safe zone, as the water pipes are in the way, and the cable would need to cross under or over them. Lets be honest here, is this going to be a major hazard in this instance?, cable RCD protected, wooden studwork, not really picture hanging territory and if you were going to hang a towl rail or something else here your more likely to hit a water pipe.....besides, I'd look in the panel first, wouldnt you?

As for the price, why do people get so uptight if it looks like someone might make a profit for a change. The client says he was happy with the price, so what if you would do it cheaper, we all continuously moan about low wages etc but as soon as a price is mentioned on a thread like this, it's ooh that sounds expensive, must be a cowboy, knock some money off cos I'm cheaper blah blah blah.:smile:

The RCD was for the RFC he was using to feed the install, the supplementary bonding is relevant if the lighting circuit has no RCD

I got the impression he wasn't touching the lighting circuit, just extending the ring circuit for everything?

As for the price, why do people get so uptight if it looks like someone might make a profit for a change.

No problem with the price and a profit! My original thought was they had paid for a cheap job off "the web site" and hence perhaps the job wasn't as good as it should be! If you can get that money for a days work good luck :biggrin:

Agree with Hawkmoon, I too cant see a problem with the FCUs within a void, accessable via a removeable panel and therefore outside the bathroom zones.

As for the cable running down the wall, as has been stated, we dont know whats on the otherside of the wall etc and cant be sure if it is outside of the so called "safe zones".

I can see why the cable has been run down the wall and not across to the left safe zone, as the water pipes are in the way, and the cable would need to cross under or over them. Lets be honest here, is this going to be a major hazard in this instance?, cable RCD protected, wooden studwork, not really picture hanging territory and if you were going to hang a towl rail or something else here your more likely to hit a water pipe.....besides, I'd look in the panel first, wouldnt you?

As for the price, why do people get so uptight if it looks like someone might make a profit for a change. The client says he was happy with the price, so what if you would do it cheaper, we all continuously moan about low wages etc but as soon as a price is mentioned on a thread like this, it's ooh that sounds expensive, must be a cowboy, knock some money off cos I'm cheaper blah blah blah.:smile:

Absolutely (if tool needed to access) - no different to under bath as 701.32.3

So its all actually ok!? Some seriously mixed messages on this post! :)

Price is for one days work plus parts. No mention of coming back to wire the equipment up.

Cheers,

Tom.

Surely the digital shower mixer creates its own safe zoneas an electrical accessory, yes I can see that the cable is just off to oneside but who the hell would cut it that fine when drilling if they actuallyknew about safe zones, and anyone with half a brain who would actually thinkanyway would remove the wooden panel.
The FCUs look fine to me how often do fuses blow in the reel world, ifsomeone had a problem the first thing they would do is take the removable paneloff

I got the impression he wasn't touching the lighting circuit, just extending the ring circuit for everything?

No, but he would still have to check/install supplementary bonding if lights have no RCD (RCD only on ring)

So its all actually ok!? Some seriously mixed messages on this post!

Price is for one days work plus parts. No mention of coming back to wire the equipment up.

Cheers,

Tom.
Hey Tom, mixed messages what do you expect, the only person to actually see the install and make an informed decision on whether or not the work complies with Regulations is your electrician, the person you employed to do the job, who is presumably competent and qualified as you have checked out his credentials, and not opinions of professionals who can only go by your photos and a vague explanation of how its been installed.

Reply to Concerned about bathroom work carried out in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net