Discuss Concerned about bathroom work carried out in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

LOL phew! :)

I spent weeks designing the stud and pipes etc on a computer, was getting worried! :D

Yeah I agree it does seem a bit thrown together.

On my plans I had the cables routed out above the mixer and around and down the stud running down the left hand side. Im not an electrician and wasn't even aware of the requirement for proximity but it seemed the most logical (and safest) route for them to travel. I wasn't expecting any switches in the bathroom, let alone that close to anything with water in it...

I guess in reality this was the easiest solution which required the least cable running...

I spent weeks designing the stud and pipes etc on a computer, was getting worried! :D

On my plans I had the cables routed out above the mixer and around and down the stud running down the left hand side. Im not an electrician and wasn't even aware of the requirement for proximity but it seemed the most logical (and safest) route for them to travel. I wasn't expecting any switches in the bathroom, let alone that close to anything with water in it...

I guess in reality this was the easiest solution which required the least cable running...
so if you have copies of these plans then you can show them to the constructor...and ask him why he hasnt followed those plans...if like you say the cable runs were all as you say on said plans...

I guess your sparky's thinking is that behind a panel which must be removed with tools equates to outside the zones/location. Not saying I agree or disagree....

If a pattress and blanking plate is fitted on the finished wall in the appropriate position, does that create a safe zone for that cable?
a safe zone can be created either side of a wall Nick...it then applies to both sides of that wall...

basically the point i was trying to get across at #11

a safe zone can be created either side of a wall Nick...it then applies to both sides of that wall...

basically the point i was trying to get across at #11

Yeah. Just struck me as easier on the wall that's being worked on. You did say that earlier, sorry, missed it.

Unfortunately I was out of the house when they did the work and I never showed them the plans... my mistake to be honest but I was expecting them to make decent decisions based on their qualifications and the fact they were very well rated on a rated trader website.

If you were in my position would you accept the job as it is or ask them to change it?

Unfortunately I was out of the house when they did the work and I never showed them the plans... my mistake to be honest but I was expecting them to make decent decisions based on their non existent qualifications and the fact they were very well rated on a parasitic rated trader website.

If you were in my position would you accept the job as it is or ask them to change it?

All this stinks of Electrical Trainee to me!

Unfortunately I was out of the house when they did the work and I never showed them the plans... my mistake to be honest but I was expecting them to make decent decisions based on their qualifications and the fact they were very well rated on a rated trader website.

well if theres no evidence to suggest that the cable is there..once covered over then its a non-compliance....so i would be getting them to sort it...

i dont like them FCUs in there either....

It appears they haven't connected anything yet, so perhaps it's not as bad as it seems. also stud not tacked yet. only thing I can add, is to read instructions to see if what's been done follows manufacturer 'requirements'

Crickey you want to see what Barry bathroom fitter does round here. That's a great install for Barry

Yes, that supplies the whole house. Though as mentioned there are two separate breakers for two rings. I assume for upstairs and downstairs though I have no way of checking this...

Maybe if you switch one breaker off and see what no longer works and then do the same with the other breaker it will give you a bit of a clue???

Just a thought. :banghead:

It appears they haven't connected anything yet, so perhaps it's not as bad as it seems. also stud not tacked yet. only thing I can add, is to read instructions to see if what's been done follows manufacturer 'requirements'
well ...this is likely to make noises about being installed by a `competent electrician`..

i very much doubt though it will be saying anything about not installing cable/s within safe zones....

Maybe if you switch one breaker off and see what no longer works and then do the same with the other breaker it will give you a bit of a clue???

Just a thought. :banghead:
he would be wise to check they aren`t interconnected either...after those responsible for the basic non-compliances in the images have been piddlin about with them...

you just dont know....

It's probably only saving grace is the pipework which looks neat & tidy. I don't like the plastic push fit though - never have - but it can bring some benefits sometimes.

Back to the issue of the switches etc; is there a cupboard - an airing cupboard maybe?- outside the bathroom you could hide them in?

30YWs can do s**t work too :)

The world's greatest heart surgeon has probably killed a few of his patients as well. You gonna stick him in the same boat as Mr 'surgically remove and steal your kidneys leaving you in an ice cube bath' Yakuza?

well ...this is likely to make noises about being installed by a `competent electrician`..

i very much doubt though it will be saying anything about not installing cable/s within safe zones....

you'd like to think so, I was getting more at op gaining info.

re cable, just move spur it feeds over to the right

you mean 30 year wonders nick?...

as in:

its a wonder they made it to 30 years with the amount of pised off customers chasin `em....and they did a `wonder course`....

Ok ... Stop getting yer knickers in a twist, I'm retired now so not playing with the lekky things anymore .

Besides, I'm really a gas fitter anyway! :)

No .... I would NOT be asking them to change it, I would be damned well TELLING them to change it!!

But, I'm a Geordie and we're not known for subtlety! ;)

Reply to Concerned about bathroom work carried out in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net