Discuss confused about coures in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

i was hoping to get a bit of advice regarding my current apprenticeship

I am currently doing an electrician apprenticeship within the local water board but am unsure where it will leave me regarding 'how qualified' I am.

I will end up with nvq 2 & 3 engineering inc electrical units and will be sitting 17th edition after level 3. The apprenticeship is apparently designed towards maintanence electrician rather than installation.

My question is......

after completing this apprenticeship will I be able to register with one of the bodies and be able to do domestic installation? If no what extra will I need to do and does anyone have any advice on conversion? I intend on staying in my industrial role but setting up part time as a domestic installer if possible.

I wil be doing installation on industrial sites as part of my work, just not that much. Its more about fault finding and maintenance.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Nick

Hi,

The nvq is level 2 performing engineering operations and I'm not sure what the level 3 is, I've just been told its the level 3 that follows, in engineering.

I'm assuming the 17th will be 2382-12, unless there are other 17th quals?

You will need to NVQ level 3 2356 OR 2357 to become a JIB member and as such a Gold card holder. If you are not working towards these then my advice would be to speak to your college about incorporating the relevant units into your course to achieve the relevant NVQ. If your apprenticeship cannot incorporate this I suggest you finish it as planned and gain all the qualifications it gives. Then contact a college/training provider about picking up the extra units of the NVQ to gain the 2356/2357. If it's the 2357 you are currently working towards or plan to achieve you will also have to complete the AM2 at the end of it. This shows that you are competent to work on your own. HTH

Thanks CTID, yes that does help thank you

Do you need to be JIB registered to trade? Or is it the one that everyone looks for?

It appears with my 17th and an assessment I could register with NICEIC as an installer, is this correct? And would this allow me to start working on installations so that I could then go onto complete the 2357?

Thanks

It depends what you are looking to do, if your looking to house bash on ur own or with someone you know then you won't need a JIB card. You will find a lot of people saying you don't need one. I would recommend that once your time served in what your doing you register as self employed and go working with an electrical company to build up confidence and experience of site work, this while doing the 2357 if you haven't already achieved it by then. A lot of companies I have come across whilst looking for work preferred u to have a JIB card.
I currently am working as a sparks mate on site whilst putting myself through my qualifications, I'm on a self employed basis and took a pay decrease from my last job just so I could work in the industry full time. Once I have my quals I will be applying to JIB for a gold card as the employers I have come across see that as an advantage to hold.
As said though if your just doing a bit of domestic installation they probably won't be as bothered. If your working for a company you won't need to join a scam because they will be scam members and the work you do for them will be covered by them.
Sorry if a bit long winded and jumping from subject to subject. Hope it makes sense.

oh you don't have to go self employed to do that companys still take you on, and don't jib do a escs card for the elec maintance site if you have a nvq 3 you will get a gold card

I find that bang out of order what some companys do when you done your time, they sack you and tell you they will take you on if you go self employed

Thanks for the advice guys

It's not that the company is gonna say goodbye at the end of the apprenticeship, far from it, more of a job for life situation. It's just that I want to cover all aspects and be able and qualified to do some house bashing on the side as a little extra (but the right way, I.e all necessary registration and insurance, it will be run as a legit part time self employment, not cash in hand foreigners or hobbles)

Reply to confused about coures in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net