Discuss Consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Following an EICR I was asked to have fitted a consumer unit in my rented property.

I subsequently received the bill for £672 and paid. For this sort of outlay and given that as a landlord it's my responsibility if anything goes wrong I asked for the guarantee for the unit installed. Neither the agent nor the contractor are able (or are unwilling) to provide this. I was simply sent a link to a website which didn't even specify the type of unit installed.

I've no proof of purchase, no proof of the type of unit installed and whether it's an approved model so if it's faulty I'm likely to have to cough up again.

Surely this isn't normal ? Who do I contact to get satisfaction ?

Thanks

you should have received a certificate for the work. is this in the UK or in france? if UK it should be notified to BC.

OP has gone.hopefully to get his brownie out of mothballs.

In France once the Electrical supplier has installed the service head and cut out, beyond that the electrical installation is the responsibility of the owner, the only time this gets inspected is on the sale of the property when a diagnostic is performed, which is just a tick list, normally performed by a non electrician, even though it is an official document carried out by an qualified registered diagnostic Immobilier which does not translate well. (Estate Agent Diagnostic) I think its supposed to mean "Registered Sales Diagnostic Agent"

There is no requirement for EICR's or any other type of certification beyond first installation which can be achieved with one socket and one light.

I'm guessing the OP lives in France but the works were carried out at a rented property in the UK.

They must have been invoiced to have made payment surely?

That would generally be expected, but they mention having no proof of purchase. It would be helpful if the OP were to clarify whether this means no receipt or a receipt that doesn't make clear precisely what components were used.

If it's the latter, I'd consider there to be no grounds for concern.

That would generally be expected, but they mention having no proof of purchase. It would be helpful if the OP were to clarify whether this means no receipt or a receipt that doesn't make clear precisely what components were used.

If it's the latter, I'd consider there to be no grounds for concern.
The OP has no proof of purchase because he did not purchase it. Any future claim would need to be made against the one who provided and installed it.

Westward10 is right so I'm not able to take a photo of the unit personally. I had a receipt but no detail, I quote "Supplied and fit consumer unit"
In response to Risteard, the issue is that the company only gives a 12m guarantee. Not only is this a bit short but what if they go out of business or change their legal status ? Don't you think that paying out so much and being personally accountable for the quality of the unit merits a bit more info. Why are they so coy about being open about this unless they were bulk-bought via an oriental website ?

Westward10 is right so I'm not able to take a photo of the unit personally. I had a receipt but no detail, I quote "Supplied and fit consumer unit"
In response to Risteard, the issue is that the company only gives a 12m guarantee. Not only is this a bit short but what if they go out of business or change their legal status ? Don't you think that paying out so much and being personally accountable for the quality of the unit merits a bit more info. Why are they so coy about being open about this unless they were bulk-bought via an oriental website ?
Most companies will only issue a 12 month guarantee. But that does not affect your statutory rights as a consumer. In England, you have up to 6 years to pursue a claim for an inherent fault. You would have to pursue this claim through whomever your "contract" (verbal or otherwise) was made with. This may in fact be the letting agent, or the electrical contractor hired by the letting agency.

Thanks loz2754, It's a bit more reassuring but I'd still like to know how I go about a claim if this occurs. It might sound like I'm overreacting but I get the impression that the only loser out of all this is the owner who has to cough up. The tenant is protected by law, the contractor hides behind a short-term guarantee and the agent sits on the fence

Reply to Consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net