Discuss Contactor for lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hello everyone i havent posted for a while but i know this is the place for my answer, if i was to put a contactor in for a lighting circuit how is it wired/connected also if would any contactor have any effect on rcd's within the circuit?

Your S/L would go to A1 on the contactor coil and a neutral to the A2 of the coil. Your load would then go via the poles of your contactor. It can also be useful to utilise the normally closed contact for emergency lighting.

No it shouldn't have an adverse effect on an RCD.

cheers malcolm the reason i was asking is a rewire may be coming up were the cust wants to be able to switch up and down lights off on her way out of the house via a switch and as its quite a big house so i was thinking of doing it via a contactor in the db, the 2 way switch and down landing light are to be wired separatley from this arrangment. any thoughts??

Well it would work, you could also if you wished depending on loads and how many circuits you are installing, just use a 20amp double pole switch.

To me the only draw back is, kids or anyone switching it off plunges the whole house in darkness.

20 amp double pole key switch - Solves the kids problem if there is one. Couple of keys for keyrings and away you go. Maybe a little overkill for a domestic but it would do the job - easy to wire (Especially if you are unsure about contactors - although they are Not hard once you have done 1 you can do them all imho.).

unusual for domestic i'd say but i'd go the contactor route

1 pole per circuit at the db-bit more flexiblity in case additions ever needed

de-rating of ac-1 contacts is needed for tungsten or fluorescent

ya ac-1 is resistive load- immersion etc

i think you may need to de-rate the modular contactor for incandescent lighting if that's what you're switching

ac5b is incandescent -i think you'd de-rate a 20amp modular to ten for standard bulbs if i'm not mistaken

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Contactor for lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net